ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 3 of 3
< 123
Nzoner's Game Room>Jury Rules NFL Violated Antitrust Laws in Sunday Ticket' Case and Awards $4.7B
Bwana 03:25 PM 06-27-2024
Jury Rules NFL Violated Antitrust Laws in 'Sunday Ticket' Case and Awards $4.7 Billion in Damages.

LOS ANGELES (AP) — A jury in U.S. District Court ruled Thursday the NFL violated antitrust laws in distributing out-of-market Sunday afternoon games on a premium subscription services and has awarded nearly $4.7 billion in damages.

The jury ordered the league to pay $4 billion in damages to the residential class and $96 million in damages to the commercial class.
The NFL is expected to appeal to the 9th Circuit and then possibly the Supreme Court.

“This case transcends football. This case matters,” plaintiffs attorney Bill Carmody said during Wednesday's closing arguments. “It’s about justice. It’s about telling the 32 team owners who collectively own all the big TV rights, the most popular content in the history of TV — that’s what they have. It’s about telling them that even you cannot ignore the antitrust laws. Even you cannot collude to overcharge consumers. Even you can’t hide the truth and think you’re going to get away with it.”

The league maintained it has the right to sell “Sunday Ticket” under its antitrust exemption for broadcasting. The plaintiffs say that only covers over-the-air broadcasts and not pay TV.

DirecTV had “Sunday Ticket” from its inception in 1994 through 2022. The league signed a seven-year deal with Google’s YouTube TV that began with the 2023 season.
https://www.usnews.com/news/sports/a...ion-in-damages
[Reply]
siberian khatru 07:21 AM 06-28-2024
Originally Posted by In58men:

Mike Florio: Could the Sunday Ticket verdict spell the end of the Chiefs' dynasty?
[Reply]
RealSNR 07:29 AM 06-28-2024
Originally Posted by In58men:
I think that's probably gonna bankrupt the Bengals
[Reply]
Hog's Gone Fishin 09:48 AM 06-28-2024
Originally Posted by ThrobProng:
I'm not sure what in tarnation is going on here, but I'm guessing we'll all end up paying back that $4.7 billion one way or the other.

I got an email from youtube saying my renewal will cost $449 this year
[Reply]
Bearcat 10:02 AM 06-28-2024
Originally Posted by Hog's Gone Fishin:
I saw that on reddit yesterday.. and the suggestion was to cancel and then wait for the "get $100 off" promo before signing up again.
[Reply]
Hog's Gone Fishin 11:20 AM 06-28-2024
Originally Posted by Bearcat:
I saw that on reddit yesterday.. and the suggestion was to cancel and then wait for the "get $100 off" promo before signing up again.
I think I'll cancel anyway. Most of the games are on Network. It's really only necessary for a couple games and zero playoff games
[Reply]
crispystl 12:33 PM 06-28-2024
Originally Posted by Frazod:
I noticed that a lot last season, the first year in forever that I went without Sunday Ticket, mainly because previously I was paying several hundred dollars to be able to watch Chiefs games when they carried in Chicago pretty much every weekend. But as my luck would have it, last season was different, and I missed four or five games. I may go ahead and bite the ST bullet again this year.

I think a part of it is league-wide Chiefs fatigue, or just flat out hatred. There were a couple of times when the game shown instead of KC v. whoever wasn't any more competitive or compelling.

As always, it is infuriating that anybody has to pay to watch something that 50% ****ing commercials. Greedy, soulless bastards. :-)
Here in Charlotte we get KC damn near every week, but half the time the local channels don't even air the Panthers game. I guess because they don't sell out maybe? They're so irrelevant I have to remind myself they still have a "professional" football team. I can't risk it though, I'd go ballistic if I missed a Chiefs game.
[Reply]
Hog's Gone Fishin 01:26 PM 06-28-2024
I just cancelled my Youtube sub. 3 out of the first 5 weeks are prime time games . Week 6 is a bye and week 7 we play San Fran. I don't see many weeks I'd even need YT to watch. There may be two weeks out of the season without regional coverage and there's always an alternative route
[Reply]
Bwana 02:48 PM 06-28-2024
Originally Posted by Hog's Gone Fishin:

Did you tell them to go rub some salt on their ass?
[Reply]
Bearcat 02:52 PM 06-28-2024
Originally Posted by Bwana:
Did you tell them to go rub some salt on their ass?
Is that a billay margarita?
[Reply]
MarkDavis'Haircut 04:26 PM 06-28-2024
Originally Posted by IowaHawkeyeChief:
This is BS... You got your free over the air games every week based on which game your local network wanted to cover. Before Sunday ticket, you were screwed. It's a premium product, but a dumbed down jury, again, doesn't get it. We are a victim driven culture. The plaintiff's attorneys will get about 40-50% of the judgement, very little will go to the people.
They think it is a blow for the little guy but guess who gets to play the new costs?
[Reply]
Page 3 of 3
< 123
Up