ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 295 of 386
« First < 195245285291292293294295 296297298299305345 > Last »
Media Center>Game of Thrones Seasons 7-8
keg in kc 02:23 PM 05-24-2017
About to hit the 5000 post mark on the old thread, the first season 7 trailer today seems like the right time to start the final Game of Thones thread.

I'm going back to the original rules pre-2015. I don't think we need supervision or bannings. Just don't be a dick. Post anything you find online that hasn't aired yet inside of spoiler tags. That's pretty much it. I think we can all handle that...

For future us, 2015 thread is here: Link
[Reply]
DaFace 04:34 PM 05-12-2019
Originally Posted by Chiefspants:
All good points.

My concern is that Seasons 7-8 (and G.R.R.M’s recent excerpts) show that George really has no idea how he wants to land this story.

Up through Season 6, the show really tried everything it could to adapt his vision to the screen.

Ah well. Hopefully he does write the finish this series deserves someday.
Perhaps this should be a lesson that you shouldn't start working on a TV show based on a book series until it's reasonably complete.

But given how much money they've made on this show, I seriously doubt they've learned any such thing.
[Reply]
Chiefspants 04:43 PM 05-12-2019
Originally Posted by DaFace:
Perhaps this should be a lesson that you shouldn't start working on a TV show based on a book series until it's reasonably complete.

But given how much money they've made on this show, I seriously doubt they've learned any such thing.
Oh yeah, I agree with that.

Reddit was thrilled when they learned that G.R.R.M was apparently heavily involved with writing the new pilot of "The Long Night" spinoff. But - isn't this just history repeating itself? Aren't we watching George again prioritize world-building over completing his magnum opus?

I truly hope that the next two episodes aren't "it" in terms of completing ASOIAF - but they very well might be. George has even started saying "if I finish series" in interviews. Not good signs.

The fandom is basically in a massive group prayer/seance that George will announce he's completed both books right after the finale. Because if he hasn't finished Winds by now, yikes.
[Reply]
DaFace 05:01 PM 05-12-2019
The fandom is basically in a massive group prayer/seance that George will announce he's completed both books right after the finale. Because if he hasn't finished Winds by now, yikes.
I think it's POSSIBLE he's got WOW done by now. I think it's incredibly unlikely he'll have the whole thing wrapped up in the next 5 years, though.
[Reply]
rydogg58 05:13 PM 05-12-2019
People on reddit have been bitching all day because the episode hasn't leaked yet. HBO seems to have tightened things up. Nobody knows what to expect for tonight.
[Reply]
Chiefspants 05:33 PM 05-12-2019
Originally Posted by rydogg58:
People on reddit have been bitching all day because the episode hasn't leaked yet. HBO seems to have tightened things up. Nobody knows what to expect for tonight.
Reddit is a cesspit at the moment. Toxic fandom and brigading on the highest order.
[Reply]
Sassy Squatch 05:48 PM 05-12-2019

[Reply]
Buehler445 05:55 PM 05-12-2019
Originally Posted by Superturtle:
I love the undercard.
[Reply]
BigRedChief 05:59 PM 05-12-2019
The books had problems too. Let’s not pretend like it’s all gold because GRRM wrote the words.

GRRM will spend 100 pages describing a banquet set up. He wasted 400-500 pages about the process of the selection of the next Iron Islands leader. All this useless BS background on the factions. Maybe 15 minutes made it to the TV series because it sucked. Total waste of the readers time that went absolutely no where.
[Reply]
Chiefspants 06:07 PM 05-12-2019
Originally Posted by BigRedChief:
The books had problems too. Let’s not pretend like it’s all gold because GRRM wrote the words.

GRRM will spend 100 pages describing a banquet set up. He wasted 400-500 pages about the process of the selection of the next Iron Islands leader. All this useless BS background on the factions. Maybe 15 minutes made it to the TV series because it sucked. Total waste of the readers time that went absolutely no where.
Let’s also not forget that a lot of Reddit hated Feast and Dance until Season 8 came along. Now GRRM shits as much gold as Tywin Lannister.
[Reply]
DaFace 06:26 PM 05-12-2019
Let’s also not forget that a lot of Reddit hated Feast and Dance until Season 8 came along. Now GRRM shits as much gold as Tywin Lannister.
This seems like a gross mischaracterization to me. Saying that GRRM did it better isn't saying that he did it perfectly. And regardless, if it's all GRRM's fault, that doesn't turn a steaming pile of dog shit into a pile of diamonds. It sucks either way.
[Reply]
ThaVirus 06:29 PM 05-12-2019

Euron and Victarion are likely to play a huge role on both continents in the books and Theon has a redemption coming as well.

That useless bs is lore and people love it.
[Reply]
DaFace 06:31 PM 05-12-2019
Originally Posted by ThaVirus:
Euron and Victarion are likely to play a huge role on both continents in the books and Theon has a redemption coming as well.

People are welcome to be into what they're into, but it's clear to me that a ton of people aren't really fantasy readers even if they have read the ASOIAF books. Crazy, in-depth side stories are pretty standard. The best books eventually show you why those stories are relevant.
[Reply]
Chiefspants 06:42 PM 05-12-2019
Originally Posted by DaFace:
This seems like a gross mischaracterization to me. Saying that GRRM did it better isn't saying that he did it perfectly. And regardless, if it's all GRRM's fault, that doesn't turn a steaming pile of dog shit into a pile of diamonds. It sucks either way.
I prefer the books - but r/ASOIAF was very disappointed in Dance and Feast is often criticized as well. Plots like Faegon, Tyrion and Penny, and Dany’s are routinely brought up as weak or mismanaged on the subreddit.

The books are a whole other universe from the show. Even conversations like Cat and Jaime’s (before Jaime’s release) in the books (where it was essentially a drinking game) are much, much richer in their source material. That’s in spite of the fact that Michelle Fairley and NCW acted their asses off in that scene. But I think it’s important to remember that G.R.R.M isn’t perfect - and that the brigading and internet hate train towards D&D while white knighting George is a bit much.
[Reply]
vailpass 06:46 PM 05-12-2019

You couldn’t be more off base with this if you tried.
[Reply]
vailpass 06:48 PM 05-12-2019
Originally Posted by ThaVirus:

Yep. Implying that this season of the tv shows wouldn’t have been any better if GRRM had written them is so far gone that it’s pretty much talking just to have something to say.
[Reply]
Page 295 of 386
« First < 195245285291292293294295 296297298299305345 > Last »
Up