ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 290 of 319
« First < 190240280286287288289290 291292293294300 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Veach's '21 Offseason Plan to Keep Us Thriving: Let's speculate
Dante84 10:03 AM 02-08-2021
In order to prevent us wasting precious years of Patrick Mahomes' career, Veach needs to work some magic this offseason. What's your advice for him?
[Reply]
BossChief 06:53 AM 03-22-2021
Sure wish we could have signed Linsley or Hudson.
[Reply]
htismaqe 07:00 AM 03-22-2021
Originally Posted by Easy 6:
To lock down Mahomes blindside with a known elite talent for several years?

Ab.so.lutely.
Here's my issue.

Everybody keeps saying let's trade picks and lock down the LT position for years.

At least with someone like Orlando Brown, that's probably true. Tunsil is 26 so he's a possibility as well. Plus both of those guys would start right away, day 1.

My fear with trading up in the first round is Eric Fisher.

They took Fisher #1 overall to "lock up the LT position for 12 years". He played EIGHT and now he's done. Not only that but he wasn't ready to play LT year 1 so they tried him on the right side and he was terrible. About the time Eric Fisher was ready to play at an elite level, he ended up no longer on the team.

I'm just not down with it.

If they really want to trade picks, go get Orlando Brown.

Otherwise, stay put in the draft, get a guy like Villanueva and try to spread the risk around.
[Reply]
O.city 07:04 AM 03-22-2021
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
Here's my issue.

Everybody keeps saying let's trade picks and lock down the LT position for years.

At least with someone like Orlando Brown, that's probably true. Tunsil is 26 so he's a possibility as well. Plus both of those guys would start right away, day 1.

They took Fisher #1 overall to "lock up the LT position for 12 years". He played EIGHT and now he's done. Not only that but he wasn't ready to play LT year 1 so they tried him on the right side and he was terrible. About the time Eric Fisher was ready to play at an elite level, he ended up no longer on the team.

Otherwise, stay put in the draft, get a guy like Villanueva and try to spread the risk around.
The issue even with that though is that, at some point, you're probably gonna have to either trade up for someone to play LT or sign a big contract for someone.

It's all up to the scouting and such. This isn't like the QB spot where if they miss they're dead, they've shown to be good enough with the mid and other round picks to survive.
[Reply]
htismaqe 07:08 AM 03-22-2021
Originally Posted by O.city:
The issue even with that though is that, at some point, you're probably gonna have to either trade up for someone to play LT or sign a big contract for someone.

It's all up to the scouting and such. This isn't like the QB spot where if they miss they're dead, they've shown to be good enough with the mid and other round picks to survive.
If they're going to trade this year's 1st AND next year's 1st, it needs to be as near a sure thing as possible. For that price, gimme Orlando Brown or another established player.
[Reply]
RunKC 07:12 AM 03-22-2021
Here's my issue.

Fisher was the best of one of the worst drafts ever.

I don’t have any problem trading up this year bc the prospects are much better than Fisher was. I have full trust that a LT we trade up for will be solid for years. That’s how much faith I have in Veach, Andy and our scouts.

I really don’t understand the injury fear? If Tyreek Hill ruptures his Achilles he’ll never be as good again. Still very good, but not like before.

Anyone can get injured at any time in this game. It sucks but it shouldn’t deter you from getting a player.

I really do think that last years rookie class gave us a shit load of leverage. I have strong confidence in Gay from what I’ve seen. I think he’s gonna be the best LB we’ve had since DJ (not saying much but still). If Niang hits and is even decent? Then damn that’s an A+ rookie class.

Just keep getting your Fenton’s Danna’s, Wharton’s, Sneeds and Thornhill and we’ll be fine. Even Hardman has value
[Reply]
htismaqe 07:19 AM 03-22-2021
Originally Posted by RunKC:
Fisher was the best of one of the worst drafts ever.

I don’t have any problem trading up this year bc the prospects are much better than Fisher was. I have full trust that a LT we trade up for will be solid for years. That’s how much faith I have in Veach, Andy and our scouts.
No, even with a big trade up, the prospects that will probably be available will NOT be much better than Fisher. That's ridiculous. This draft isn't that much different from the average LT draft. There's 2 elite guys, one borderline guy, and then a bunch of question marks. Unless we're trading into the top 12-14 for Slater or Darrisaw, we're essentially giving up two picks or more for Eric Fisher.

I really don’t understand the injury fear? If Tyreek Hill ruptures his Achilles he’ll never be as good again. Still very good, but not like before.
It's not a fear. See next answer.

Anyone can get injured at any time in this game. It sucks but it shouldn’t deter you from getting a player.
This is EXACTLY my point. Everybody keeps saying the justification for the trade up is "locking up the LT position for the next decade". Anybody can get injured at any time. The likelihood of any player playing the next decade is not great. So would you rather have one player for 8 or one this year for 5 cost controlled years AND another guy next year for 5 cost controlled years? Giving up 1st round picks like candy just isn't a good strategy.

I really do think that last years rookie class gave us a shit load of leverage. I have strong confidence in Gay from what I’ve seen. I think he’s gonna be the best LB we’ve had since DJ (not saying much but still). If Niang hits and is even decent? Then damn that’s an A+ rookie class.

Just keep getting your Fenton’s Danna’s, Wharton’s, Sneeds and Thornhill and we’ll be fine. Even Hardman has value
What does any of this have to do with the LT postion? Are you suggesting that all these guys means we can give away next year's first rounder because we don't need it?
[Reply]
Sassy Squatch 07:40 AM 03-22-2021
:-) Implying that using next years first rounder to move up into range to ensure drafting an elite LT prospect = giving it away.
[Reply]
htismaqe 07:41 AM 03-22-2021
Originally Posted by Superturtle:
:-) Implying that using next years first rounder to move up into range to ensure drafting an elite LT prospect = giving it away.
There are really 2 elite prospects in this draft. Neither of them will likely make it outside of the top 10.

So what would you call it if you trade 2 first rounders for a guy that might not be able to start right away at LT and play at a high level?
[Reply]
htismaqe 07:44 AM 03-22-2021
Over half the board thinks the Frank Clark trade was bad.

Over half the board thinks we should do virtually the same thing to address the LT position.

Doesn't get any better than Chiefsplanet.
[Reply]
Sassy Squatch 07:46 AM 03-22-2021
There are really 2 elite prospects in this draft. Neither of them will likely make it outside of the top 10.

So what would you call it if you trade 2 first rounders for a guy that might not be able to start right away at LT and play at a high level?
Yeah, I dont think anyone is arguing to trade up for just any LT. Its always been one of the top 3, and theres enough talent up top to push them down far enough that we may have a realistic chance to trade up for one of them.
[Reply]
htismaqe 07:47 AM 03-22-2021
Yeah, I dont think anyone is arguing to trade up for just any LT. Its always been one of the top 3, and theres enough talent up top to push them down far enough that we may have a realistic chance to trade up for one of them.
The Chargers and Vikings pick 13th and 14th. You're going to have to trade up likely to 12 to get Darrisaw or Slater.
[Reply]
Sassy Squatch 07:48 AM 03-22-2021
The Chargers and Vikings pick 13th and 14th. You're going to have to trade up likely to 12 to get Darrisaw or Slater.
Fine by me.
[Reply]
htismaqe 07:48 AM 03-22-2021
And for the record, plenty of scouts thing Slater should be an IOL in the NFL and Darrisaw will need to time to develop into a top tier LT.

Sewell is the only "sure thing" in this draft, if there is such a thing.

No way I'm trading up that far.

Trade up 10 or so spots and take a guy like Sam Cosmi. Nearly as much upside and far less cost.
[Reply]
htismaqe 07:49 AM 03-22-2021
Fine by me.
We're just never going to agree on this.

There's only one position on the field worth that much draft capital.
[Reply]
Sassy Squatch 07:52 AM 03-22-2021
And for the record, plenty of scouts thing Slater should be an IOL in the NFL and Darrisaw will need to time to develop into a top tier LT.

Sewell is the only "sure thing" in this draft, if there is such a thing.

No way I'm trading up that far.

Trade up 10 or so spots and take a guy like Sam Cosmi. Nearly as much upside and far less cost.
:-) Thought Slaters measurements at his pro day squashed that line of thinking. He's not nearly as undersized or "lacking length" as you seem to have convinced yourself he is.
[Reply]
Page 290 of 319
« First < 190240280286287288289290 291292293294300 > Last »
Up