ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 29 of 85
« First < 192526272829 303132333979 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Handy-Man Corner
Iowanian 08:25 AM 09-24-2004
I'm tired of bad Chiefs news.....

I thought it would be a good idea for a thread on the Handy-Man.

Do you have any Home remedies, gadgets you've made, advice on car repair, home maint, sollutions to kill weeds in your yard, bugs in your garden?

Use Coke to clean your batteries? That type of stuff.
Home made floor dry?
[Reply]
Brock 12:25 PM 01-27-2007
After doing a little reading, it appears that bats do hibernate and the reason they close caves during this season is because disturbing them causes them to use up their energy reserves. I guess if they're moving around up there it's because they're in search of food.
[Reply]
Iowanian 05:08 PM 01-27-2007
This guy HAS put rat poison in the attic, originally believing something of that ilk to be the problem last year.

There are different kinds of bats...some migrate, some hibernate. From what this one guy has been told, when there is a warmup up during the winter, sometimes, some bats metabolism speeds up, wakes them from their slumber and they'll roam around...too cold to go outside, no food to eat....Alot of times, they'll end up IN the house. There are reports all the time in the newspaper of bats being removed.....This guys house, must be "tight" enough. Word has it that these critters DON'T have anything to eat, and will fumble around in the attic or the walls and die.

This guy I know, has been pondering another sollution. He's wondering about a couple of garden hoses, some duct tape, a tailpipe of a running truck and no family in the house for a few hours. He intends to climb up and have a look for holes to close, closer to spring.
[Reply]
Manila-Chief 12:48 AM 01-28-2007
We bought a used bedframe for our guest bedroom. Got a good price (there was a reason for that) but didn't notice that on the very top of one of the post for the foot board is discolored. Looks like the guy hung his wet cap on it. Is there a way of restoring the color? Or do we refinish the whole thing? Or do we buy a new one. The post is about 4 to 6 inches in diameter and rounded.
[Reply]
Phobia 12:54 AM 01-28-2007
Originally Posted by Manila-Chief:
We bought a used bedframe for our guest bedroom. Got a good price (there was a reason for that) but didn't notice that on the very top of one of the post for the foot board is discolored. Looks like the guy hung his wet cap on it. Is there a way of restoring the color? Or do we refinish the whole thing? Or do we buy a new one. The post is about 4 to 6 inches in diameter and rounded.
Furniture repairmen can do amazing things. I had a friend over to my house and he does furniture repair. I had some nicks and gouges in a couch with rosewood trim.... He ran out to his van and came in with a toolbox (looked more like a tacklebox) and spent about 20 minutes dinking with the wood. When he was done, I couldn't even tell where those dings were.

See if you can find a guy who makes house-calls in your area. I'll bet he could bring back your color or refinish to match for the cost of a service-call. It sure would be worth if he saved you hours of trouble and possibly screwing the finish up beyond repair.
[Reply]
Manila-Chief 01:03 AM 01-28-2007
Thanks!!! I'll check and see. Didn't realize there was such an animal here!!! I've not done much of that stuff coz in the Philippines labor was cheap and they did an excellent job.
[Reply]
Brock 10:03 AM 01-28-2007
Originally Posted by Iowanian:
This guy I know, has been pondering another sollution. He's wondering about a couple of garden hoses, some duct tape, a tailpipe of a running truck and no family in the house for a few hours. He intends to climb up and have a look for holes to close, closer to spring.
That's more risky than just leaving the bats up there, IMO.
[Reply]
Phobia 12:48 PM 01-28-2007
Originally Posted by Brock:
That's more risky than just leaving the bats up there, IMO.
Yeah, I'm guessing there's some other method of fumigation that would get them and dissipate and a KNOWN amount of time for it to be safe for the family to return. I'm guessing we can't be certain how long it would take for the Carbon monoxide to dissipate.
[Reply]
PastorMikH 08:41 PM 01-31-2007
Thought I'd put up a couple of pics from the last couple of weeks worth of work. Everything got fresh paint, new carpet in the livingroom, tile in dining room/kitchen/laundry/master bath, shower doors, and lots and lots of cleaning.

Dining room before...

Dining room after...

Here's the dining room tile coming in from the front door accross the living room...

Tile from Dining room across kitchen into laundry room.

Fireplace in livingroom before...

Fireplace in livingroom after...

[Reply]
Phobia 08:44 PM 01-31-2007
You did a really fine job, Mike. Nice looking work, especially for an amateur. First class.
[Reply]
RJ 08:46 PM 01-31-2007
Pastor, you've been busy. Looks great, I like the tile border work.
[Reply]
PastorMikH 08:50 PM 01-31-2007
Originally Posted by Phobia:
You did a really fine job, Mike. Nice looking work, especially for an amateur. First class.

Thanks! (For the compliment as well as the tips you gave a few weeks back)

It's amazing how picky I've been. I've always been more of a rough-in worker who leaves the finish work to someone else. With this being our house, I've been much more picky on how things look.
[Reply]
PastorMikH 08:53 PM 01-31-2007
Originally Posted by RJ:
Pastor, you've been busy. Looks great, I like the tile border work.

Thanks.

The border is in the laundry room as well, though I went with a simple square lay instead of angles. The bathroom has the lighter color on a regular lay as well.
[Reply]
Simply Red 09:21 PM 01-31-2007
Nice wk. Pastor. What about hardwoods running long ways straight out off the tiling of the fireplace? That'd look really good I think...

Some of these things are baby steps or as $ permits but do you have that on the radar?

[Reply]
Simply Red 09:23 PM 01-31-2007
Originally Posted by Simply Red:
Nice wk. Pastor. What about hardwoods running long ways straight out off the tiling of the fireplace? That'd look really good I think...

Some of these things are baby steps or as $ permits but do you have that on the radar?
You could match em up with the shade of the built-ins...
[Reply]
Manila-Chief 09:31 PM 01-31-2007
Originally Posted by PastorMikH:
Thanks.

The border is in the laundry room as well, though I went with a simple square lay instead of angles. The bathroom has the lighter color on a regular lay as well.
Good job! You d man!!! It goes to show that most pastors are multi-talented ... (usually it's coz we a have to do it ourselves in order to survive. :-)

Oh, with that nice fire place where will your big screen T.V. be placed. Hehehehehe!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
[Reply]
Page 29 of 85
« First < 192526272829 303132333979 > Last »
Up