ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 288 of 3903
« First < 188238278284285286287288 2892902912922983383887881288 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
007 05:41 PM 03-15-2020
Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud:
I think it's a bit easier to close schools at this point in time because in many cases, it's near Spring Break, so a few extra days doesn't really mean much in terms of the overall school year.

In LA, we're doing Home School, as in all the Middle & High School students will be "attending" class online because they've been given school-issued Chromebooks.

As for the Elementary kids, they're being given school assignments via email, which need to be returned as if they're in school, as well as their daily reading, math practice, etc.

So in reality, at least in LA, the kids aren't missing out on the educational aspect, just the social aspect. Although I'm not even sure how much of the social aspect they'll miss out on because if the other kids across the nation are anything like mine, they're FaceTiming their friends daily.
How are they handling families that don't have internet access
[Reply]
ShowtimeSBMVP 05:41 PM 03-15-2020
I think it's a bit easier to close schools at this point in time because in many cases, it's near Spring Break, so a few extra days doesn't really mean much in terms of the overall school year.

In LA, we're doing Home School, as in all the Middle & High School students will be "attending" class online because they've been given school-issued Chromebooks.

As for the Elementary kids, they're being given school assignments via email, which need to be returned as if they're in school, as well as their daily reading, math practice, etc.

So in reality, at least in LA, the kids aren't missing out on the educational aspect, just the social aspect. Although I'm not even sure how much of the social aspect they'll miss out on because if the other kids across the nation are anything like mine, they're FaceTiming their friends daily.

Same in PA
[Reply]
TLO 05:44 PM 03-15-2020
Originally Posted by Discuss Thrower:
https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...e_iOSApp_Other

All you can do is laugh at this point.
That doesn't seem like a super accurate source..
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 05:45 PM 03-15-2020
Originally Posted by 007:
How are they handling families that don't have internet access
That, I have no idea.

But it seems as if everyone has internet access these days, even if it's just over their phone.

I'm obviously not familiar with how it's done in other states and metro areas but here, the teachers email all of the parents daily, if not twice a day. The Principle, coaches, Art directors, etc. are in constant touch with parents and I often email and text with school and district administrators, sometimes multiple times per day.

Funny thing is I can barely remember my parents ever coming to my school when I was a kid, let alone being on a first name basis with admin and teachers or going with them to Disneyland, as we often do.
[Reply]
Hog's Gone Fishin 05:45 PM 03-15-2020
Originally Posted by suzzer99:
I have a feeling all schools in the US except maybe Alaska will be canceled soon.

But also lol at putting a 2 week timeframe on it. No one has any idea how long this lasts before we can safely go back to normal.
Warm weather will slow this virus down but I'm sure the 2 week notice is just to get started. Will be extended as needed.
[Reply]
tk13 05:48 PM 03-15-2020
This should be the end of sports for a while.

CDC now recommending cancellation of any gathering over 50 people for the next 8 weeks https://t.co/g7bAIKl2Si pic.twitter.com/koJrNy6X44

— Alex H. Kasprak (@alexkasprak) March 15, 2020

[Reply]
TLO 05:48 PM 03-15-2020
Originally Posted by TLO:
That doesn't seem like a super accurate source..
Originally Posted by :
Exclusive: Public Health England document seen by Guardian
Maybe it is accurate, who knows.
[Reply]
TLO 05:49 PM 03-15-2020
Originally Posted by tk13:
This should be the end of sports for a while.

Smart move
[Reply]
Donger 05:51 PM 03-15-2020
Originally Posted by TLO:
Maybe it is accurate, who knows.
The Guardian is a good source. It's been around for almost 200 years.

Other outbreaks have lasted over a year, even longer.
[Reply]
stumppy 05:51 PM 03-15-2020
That, I have no idea.

But it seems as if everyone has internet access these days, even if it's just over their phone.

I'm obviously not familiar with how it's done in other states and metro areas but here, the teachers email all of the parents daily, if not twice a day. The Principle, coaches, Art directors, etc. are in constant touch with parents and I often email and text with school and district administrators, sometimes multiple times per day.

Funny thing is I can barely remember my parents ever coming to my school when I was a kid, let alone being on a first name basis with admin and teachers or going with them to Disneyland, as we often do.

In Missouri the schools have a loaner program for a hot spot internet access thing for kids without internet access.
[Reply]
lewdog 05:55 PM 03-15-2020
Originally Posted by Megatron96:
Lew, I never said, and in fact I think I said the opposite; that I was invulnerable. I know I'm vulnerable. More vulnerable than everyone in my family with the exception of my mother. The fact that I smoke makes me even more vulnerable, but there's nothing I can do about that. I hardly smoke anymore, but I did for decades, and my lungs are what they are. If I catch this thing I'm probably something like a 1:4 for dying. Maybe worse. But that's just what it is.

As for other people, just what can I do that will help that much? I have to work, and I can't fly a plane from home. Fortunately, I don't interact with many people in a normal week, either at work or off.

But the facts are still the same: the vast majority of people that catch this thing are going to survive it. So yeah, it sucks that a lot of people are going to die, mostly the very old or young, and those whose immune systems are compromised. But most people will be fine.

My whole point has always been that we need less freaking out and more being rational and patient.
Flattening the bell curve is very important. That’s why things are behind cancelled. That’s being prudent and proactive, not panic. I can’t make this any simpler for you.

I am still required to work but I will go no where else this week. Home and work and that’s it. I’ll do my part in this the best I can.
[Reply]
Why Not? 05:59 PM 03-15-2020
AZ orders all schools shut until at least 3/27.
[Reply]
Megatron96 06:00 PM 03-15-2020
Originally Posted by PAChiefsGuy:
No one here said anyone should panic.

I get what you are saying but if people continue to go out and spread the virus that means more people are going to die or get sick. There's currently no vaccine for the CoronaVirus so if your immune system doesn't fight it off you are ****ed. sure most ppl will be fine but what about the ones who are not? I dont know about you but I think not going out to a restaurant or bar for one week or two is worth saving a life even if the person is old or has a pre-existing health condition.
I get what you're saying.

From my POV, I interact with about 6 people a day in a normal week. The same 6 people. On days off, I meet with two friends for dinner when I can in a small restaurant we've going to for years. Other than that, I see my gf when able, and take my mother to church and have dinner with her (she's been nursing a broken ankle so we haven't gone in a while, and probably won't for a few more weeks).

Now if I was 20 something and spent my down time bar crawling, dating multitudes of women, etc. that would be different.

Look, I never said or advocated the idea that we should go around as if this wasn't happening. I do think that eventually everyone is going to come into contact with this thing no matter what we do. But trying to slow its progress is naturally a good idea.

My original point was that IMO, I don't think closing bars and restaurants is going to have a significant effect, because people will just congregate elsewhere to drink and socialize, have unprotected sex, etc. And there's not one thing I can do about that.

What I'm not going to do is worry about that. If my friends want to meet up for dinner next week, I'm going. If my gf wants to hang out, I'm there. If my mother wants to go to church in a couple weeks, I might say "maybe we should wait another week or two," but if she insists, I'm taking her to church. She's a retired physician and a grown woman, and she can make her own much more informed decisions for herself.
[Reply]
Demonpenz 06:01 PM 03-15-2020
my friends and I work in food production. Business as usual
[Reply]
RINGLEADER 06:12 PM 03-15-2020
New numbers show that Vatican City has been wiped off the face of the Earth.
[Reply]
Page 288 of 3903
« First < 188238278284285286287288 2892902912922983383887881288 > Last »
Up