ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 287 of 3903
« First < 187237277283284285286287 2882892902912973373877871287 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
Megatron96 04:57 PM 03-15-2020
Originally Posted by KCUnited:
It was sarcasm.
Oh okay, I missed it. I don't have any app for knowing what your thinking. Wait a minute while I download one.
[Reply]
KCUnited 04:59 PM 03-15-2020
Originally Posted by Megatron96:
Oh okay, I missed it. I don't have any app for knowing what your thinking. Wait a minute while I download one.
Maybe do a search for self awareness
[Reply]
Jerm 05:00 PM 03-15-2020
Originally Posted by HonestChieffan:
People are aware....

too bad such nutters are on FB

Be safe....
I’m in full zombie apocalypse mode lol, got everything I need and don’t plan on going anywhere....
[Reply]
lewdog 05:04 PM 03-15-2020
It doesn't accomplish anything to be emotional. In fact, looking at any serious situation going back as long as they've been recording history, I don't think there's ever been a case where mass/individual hysteria has helped in any way whatsoever.

I know in my line of work it's absolutely the worst thing you can do, but that may not be true in every workplace, I don't know.

And once you've had a life-changing experience, or a near-death moment, your mind kind of puts things into perspective for you whether you like it or not. You make your peace with it at some point and move on.

So, no, I'm not scared. I'm not thinking I'm invulnerable either. Not by a long shot. But being scared or being motivated by that fear is not something I'm interested in.

I figure eventually I'll catch this thing, and i doubt I can avoid it no matter what precautions I take. And I'll either pull through or I won't. Until then, I have things to do.
Two things you aren’t getting. And neither are about YOU.

1. You may not feel vulnerable, but many members of your community aren’t healthy or are old. You can be a carrier for this and spread it to those people, endangering their lives in the process.

2. The medical infrastructure can’t take a massive amount of diagnosis at once. There’s not enough nurses, doctors, ventilators, hospital equipment or hospital beds to support this. Those things can’t just appear over night. If you’re one of the ones who needs medical attention from this and can’t get it, the mortality rate climbs quickly. Flattening the bell curve is VERY important. The same number of people may get this anyway, but it’s much more meaningful if that happens over many months, not weeks. This helps the mortality rate.
[Reply]
Megatron96 05:05 PM 03-15-2020
Originally Posted by Donger:
You seem to be under the impression that SARS-CoV-2 spreads as easily as the common rhinovirus. If you knew what the R0 figures are for each, you'd know that that isn't the case at all, or remotely, thankfully.
I don't believe that I said it would spread exactly like the common cold, only that it would spread in a similar fashion. In the same rough ballpark. And that the odds of getting over it, while worse than the cold, still in the same ballpark, as opposed to something like Ebola, which is much, much more lethal.
[Reply]
Hog's Gone Fishin 05:11 PM 03-15-2020
Originally Posted by Jerm:
I’m in full zombie apocalypse mode lol, got everything I need and don’t plan on going anywhere....
My wife is on 15 fucking different meds and they don't fill at the same time. I have to go to the pharmacy AT LEAST twice per week. FUCK!
[Reply]
Megatron96 05:14 PM 03-15-2020
Originally Posted by lewdog:

1. You may not feel vulnerable, but many members of your community aren’t healthy or are old. You can be a carrier for this and spread it to those people, endangering their lives in the process.

2. The medical infrastructure can’t take a massive amount of diagnosis at once. There’s not enough nurses, doctors, ventilators, hospital equipment or hospital beds to support this. Those things can’t just appear over night. If you’re one of the ones who needs medical attention from this and can’t get it, the mortality rate climbs quickly. Flattening the bell curve is VERY important. The same number of people may get this anyway, but it’s much more meaningful if that happens over many months, not weeks. This helps the mortality rate.
Lew, I never said, and in fact I think I said the opposite; that I was invulnerable. I know I'm vulnerable. More vulnerable than everyone in my family with the exception of my mother. The fact that I smoke makes me even more vulnerable, but there's nothing I can do about that. I hardly smoke anymore, but I did for decades, and my lungs are what they are. If I catch this thing I'm probably something like a 1:4 for dying. Maybe worse. But that's just what it is.

As for other people, just what can I do that will help that much? I have to work, and I can't fly a plane from home. Fortunately, I don't interact with many people in a normal week, either at work or off.

But the facts are still the same: the vast majority of people that catch this thing are going to survive it. So yeah, it sucks that a lot of people are going to die, mostly the very old or young, and those whose immune systems are compromised. But most people will be fine.

My whole point has always been that we need less freaking out and more being rational and patient.
[Reply]
Discuss Thrower 05:19 PM 03-15-2020
https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...e_iOSApp_Other

All you can do is laugh at this point.
[Reply]
PAChiefsGuy 05:25 PM 03-15-2020
Lew, I never said, and in fact I think I said the opposite; that I was invulnerable. I know I'm vulnerable. More vulnerable than everyone in my family with the exception of my mother. The fact that I smoke makes me even more vulnerable, but there's nothing I can do about that. I hardly smoke anymore, but I did for decades, and my lungs are what they are. If I catch this thing I'm probably something like a 1:4 for dying. Maybe worse. But that's just what it is.

As for other people, just what can I do that will help that much? I have to work, and I can't fly a plane from home. Fortunately, I don't interact with many people in a normal week, either at work or off.

But the facts are still the same: the vast majority of people that catch this thing are going to survive it. So yeah, it sucks that a lot of people are going to die, mostly the very old or young, and those whose immune systems are compromised. But most people will be fine.

My whole point has always been that we need less freaking out and more being rational and patient.
No one here said anyone should panic.

I get what you are saying but if people continue to go out and spread the virus that means more people are going to die or get sick. There's currently no vaccine for the CoronaVirus so if your immune system doesn't fight it off you are fucked. sure most ppl will be fine but what about the ones who are not? I dont know about you but I think not going out to a restaurant or bar for one week or two is worth saving a life even if the person is old or has a pre-existing health condition.
[Reply]
Hog's Gone Fishin 05:26 PM 03-15-2020
Italy lost 360 people in the last 24 hours
[Reply]
suzzer99 05:28 PM 03-15-2020
Originally Posted by Hog's Gone Fishin:
Italy lost 360 people in the last 24 hours
https://www.worldometers.info/corona...country/italy/

Still waiting for that daily new case growth curve to start to level. Seems like it won't until at least two weeks after full isolation.
[Reply]
Frazod 05:32 PM 03-15-2020
Originally Posted by mac459:
Kirksville, MO just called off school for the next 2 weeks.
I just don't get this. When it comes to major population centers, I can understand the panic. But fucking Kirksville? One rinky-dink regional airport with next to no commercial traffic, and it's 90 miles away from the nearest interstate. Are they worried about Truman students bringing it back from somewhere else? That's the only thing that even threatens to make any sense.
[Reply]
suzzer99 05:35 PM 03-15-2020
I have a feeling all schools in the US except maybe Alaska will be canceled soon.

But also lol at putting a 2 week timeframe on it. No one has any idea how long this lasts before we can safely go back to normal.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 05:37 PM 03-15-2020
Originally Posted by Frazod:
I just don't get this. When it comes to major population centers, I can understand the panic. But fucking Kirksville? One rinky-dink regional airport with next to no commercial traffic, and it's 90 miles away from the nearest interstate. Are they worried about Truman students bringing it back from somewhere else? That's the only thing that even threatens to make any sense.
I think it's a bit easier to close schools at this point in time because in many cases, it's near Spring Break, so a few extra days doesn't really mean much in terms of the overall school year.

In LA, we're doing Home School, as in all the Middle & High School students will be "attending" class online because they've been given school-issued Chromebooks.

As for the Elementary kids, they're being given school assignments via email, which need to be returned as if they're in school, as well as their daily reading, math practice, etc.

So in reality, at least in LA, the kids aren't missing out on the educational aspect, just the social aspect. Although I'm not even sure how much of the social aspect they'll miss out on because if the other kids across the nation are anything like mine, they're FaceTiming their friends daily.
[Reply]
BigRedChief 05:40 PM 03-15-2020
Originally Posted by lewdog:

Right now in Italy they ran out of available ventilators so doctors are deciding who dies and who gets the ventilator. For a western democracy in 2020, that’s as desperate times as we have had since WWII.
[Reply]
Page 287 of 3903
« First < 187237277283284285286287 2882892902912973373877871287 > Last »
Up