ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 281 of 324
« First < 181231271277278279280281 282283284285291 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Chiefs hire Steve Spagnuolo as new defensive coordinator
TLO 04:33 PM 01-24-2019

The #Chiefs are hiring Steve Spagnuolo as their new defensive coordinator, sources say. The former #Giants DC and interim HC/#Rams HC began his NFL coaching career as an #Eagles assistant under Andy Reid. Now rejoins Big Red in KC.

— Mike Garafolo (@MikeGarafolo) January 24, 2019

[Reply]
CupidStunt 06:30 AM 12-14-2022
I'm not absolving Spags by any means, but mentioning defenses like the Eagles is ridiculous.

With our talent deficiencies, there's no good scheme. We cannot pressure the QB without blitzing, so blitz? Obviously we'll give up big plays. Sit back and play coverage? Obviously we'll give up 1st down after 1st down.

I wouldn't hate replacing him, but there's a lot more turnover needed than that. Hopefully they understand that and go hard in the offseason to bring the D closer to league average than the same dogshit year after year. It's crystal clear 15 will make the offense good enough with anyone. F overpaying Juju or anyone else. Pray some guy can be a competent LT. Let Skyy, Toney etc battle it out. And invest heavily on the DL and secondary.
[Reply]
King_Chief_Fan 08:57 AM 12-14-2022
get rid of Spags
[Reply]
tredadda 09:04 AM 12-14-2022
Originally Posted by CupidStunt:
I'm not absolving Spags by any means, but mentioning defenses like the Eagles is ridiculous.

With our talent deficiencies, there's no good scheme. We cannot pressure the QB without blitzing, so blitz? Obviously we'll give up big plays. Sit back and play coverage? Obviously we'll give up 1st down after 1st down.

I wouldn't hate replacing him, but there's a lot more turnover needed than that. Hopefully they understand that and go hard in the offseason to bring the D closer to league average than the same dogshit year after year. It's crystal clear 15 will make the offense good enough with anyone. F overpaying Juju or anyone else. Pray some guy can be a competent LT. Let Skyy, Toney etc battle it out. And invest heavily on the DL and secondary.
While they can always look to improve the secondary, I don’t think they need to invest heavily in it. DLine? Absolutely! Same with LT/RT. We get pressure on the QB without blitzing and our secondary will look much better.
[Reply]
Direckshun 10:00 AM 12-14-2022
Originally Posted by CupidStunt:

I don't agree. I think some schemes are better than others when you have a QB like Mahomes.

The scheme Spags is playing right now forces teams to kill us by papercuts. They eat up clock, they limit the possessions, and really good QBs pick us apart anyway.

If the Chiefs play hyperaggressive on D, which is what I'd favor this year, you're limiting the amount of time per snap the QBs hold the ball and wait for the receivers to come open. It's going to burn you a lot, but it's going to reduce their time of possession.

It'll up Mahomes' time of possession, increase the number of his possessions per game, and force teams to beat Mahomes in a shootout. Shootouts he'll win 90% of the time.

Instead they are obsessing with taking the big play away, and it's allowing teams to chew clock and put more pressure than necessary on Mahomes.
[Reply]
O.city 10:02 AM 12-14-2022
I think the defense is fine, if the offense would quit turning the ball over
[Reply]
Chris Meck 10:08 AM 12-14-2022
Originally Posted by Direckshun:
I don't agree. I think some schemes are better than others when you have a QB like Mahomes.

The scheme Spags is playing right now forces teams to kill us by papercuts. They eat up clock, they limit the possessions, and really good QBs pick us apart anyway.

If the Chiefs play hyperaggressive on D, which is what I'd favor this year, you're limiting the amount of time per snap the QBs hold the ball and wait for the receivers to come open. It's going to burn you a lot, but it's going to reduce their time of possession.

It'll up Mahomes' time of possession, increase the number of his possessions per game, and force teams to beat Mahomes in a shootout. Shootouts he'll win 90% of the time.

Instead they are obsessing with taking the big play away, and it's allowing teams to chew clock and put more pressure than necessary on Mahomes.
LOLWHUT?!

I have zero idea what games you're watching. We blitz like mad. Like crazy. INSANE. We leave our rookie secondary one on one CONSTANTLY. Jailbreak blitzes, 5 rush, 6 rush, zone blitzes, you name it. Kitchen fucking sink, man.

We almost NEVER just sit back in two deep and take away the deep ball. The only time I remember doing that with any regularity was the first half of the Bengals game. And after a half of getting burnt with it, we went back to blitzing like mad.

I really don't understand this football take at all.
[Reply]
Direckshun 10:17 AM 12-14-2022
Originally Posted by Chris Meck:
LOLWHUT?!

I have zero idea what games you're watching. We blitz like mad. Like crazy. INSANE. We leave our rookie secondary one on one CONSTANTLY. Jailbreak blitzes, 5 rush, 6 rush, zone blitzes, you name it. Kitchen ****ing sink, man.

We almost NEVER just sit back in two deep and take away the deep ball. The only time I remember doing that with any regularity was the first half of the Bengals game. And after a half of getting burnt with it, we went back to blitzing like mad.

There is more to the football field than what you see on the broadcast. All 22 shows the Chiefs drop a lot and take the deep ball away.

Spags is splitting the difference this season, between blitzing and dropping deep. There's a reason the Chiefs are among league leaders in big plays given up.
[Reply]
CasselGotPeedOn 10:29 AM 12-14-2022
Originally Posted by King_Chief_Fan:
get rid of Spags
Can we get rid of you instead?
[Reply]
RunKC 10:32 AM 12-14-2022
It’s the pass rush. You can’t expect Spags to have enough blitz packages every game to cover for a pass rush that isn’t getting home. There’s enough tape for Em teams to exploit it like Denver did on the long screen TD.

This off-season has to be about adding to the pas rush
[Reply]
crayzkirk 10:39 AM 12-14-2022
My only complaint, and one that had been mentioned before, is the poor tackling and defensive back technique. How often do we see a Chiefs player throw a shoulder at a RB or TE and simply bounce off or try to tackle someone bigger than them high? What about the DBs turning their heads to look for the ball? Unless you are Travis Kelce, throwing your arms up and running into the offensive player is going to result in a DPI 99.9% of the time. The receiver has a better chance of dropping the ball.

The Chiefs defense is a product of their continued success. How long has it been since the Chiefs drafted in the top 20, 10, 5? These players simply aren't available and teams that get them aren't giving them away for peanuts so the Chiefs can have a top 5 offense AND defense.

Some of it probably is scheme; we compare the Chiefs to the Patriots and their success. That team always seems to have a good defense, yet, without an elite QB, they aren't scaring anyone. They do seem better able to find players that fit their scheme and be successful. They also seem to know when to drop a player for maximum return.
[Reply]
Direckshun 10:54 AM 12-14-2022
Originally Posted by RunKC:
It’s the pass rush. You can’t expect Spags to have enough blitz packages every game to cover for a pass rush that isn’t getting home. There’s enough tape for Em teams to exploit it like Denver did on the long screen TD.

This off-season has to be about adding to the pas rush
1/3 of our sacks come from blitzes that Spags dials up.

1/3.

Go up against QBs who roast the blitz, like Allen and Burrow, and you magically see how exposed the DL is.
[Reply]
Pasta Little Brioni 11:16 AM 12-14-2022
It's not "fine"
[Reply]
Pasta Little Brioni 11:17 AM 12-14-2022
Originally Posted by Chris Meck:
LOLWHUT?!

I have zero idea what games you're watching. We blitz like mad. Like crazy. INSANE. We leave our rookie secondary one on one CONSTANTLY. Jailbreak blitzes, 5 rush, 6 rush, zone blitzes, you name it. Kitchen fucking sink, man.

Direction is a complete imbecile at evaluating foot ball
[Reply]
O.city 11:28 AM 12-14-2022
Originally Posted by Direckshun:
There is more to the football field than what you see on the broadcast. All 22 shows the Chiefs drop a lot and take the deep ball away.

Spags is splitting the difference this season, between blitzing and dropping deep. There's a reason the Chiefs are among league leaders in big plays given up.
So are you saying they've given up the most big plays or have given up the fewest?
[Reply]
Direckshun 11:37 AM 12-14-2022
Originally Posted by O.city:
So are you saying they've given up the most big plays or have given up the fewest?
My apologies for not being clear.

They're among the league leaders in preventing the big play.
[Reply]
Page 281 of 324
« First < 181231271277278279280281 282283284285291 > Last »
Up