ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 28 of 160
« First < 182425262728 293031323878128 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Ok for the high brow crowd what books you are reading
big nasty kcnut 10:37 PM 03-11-2006
I'm reading The New American Revolution by tammy bruce. She is a great thinker and funny.
[Reply]
RJ 02:22 PM 11-17-2007
Originally Posted by Adept Havelock:
That's Worldwar/Colonization series. Turns out the "Foo Fighters" they detected over Europe were recon for the little green guys.

It's hokey as hell, but fun.

For more serious reading, I just finished another trip through William Craigs "Enemy at the Gates" and am getting ready to start "The First Circle" by Solzhenitsyn.

I really enjoyed Enemy at the Gates. I've never read anything by Solzhenitsy, his stuff looks and sounds daunting.
[Reply]
stevieray 02:30 PM 11-17-2007
Mystery of the Chinese Junk
[Reply]
|Zach| 03:30 PM 11-17-2007
This has been a great read. I am in the middle of it.

"The Tipping Point: How Little Things Can Make a Big Difference"

"The best way to understand the dramatic transformation of unknown books into bestsellers, or the rise of teenage smoking, or the phenomena of word of mouth or any number of the other mysterious changes that mark everyday life," writes Malcolm Gladwell, "is to think of them as epidemics. Ideas and products and messages and behaviors spread just like viruses do." Although anyone familiar with the theory of memetics will recognize this concept, Gladwell's The Tipping Point has quite a few interesting twists on the subject.

For example, Paul Revere was able to galvanize the forces of resistance so effectively in part because he was what Gladwell calls a "Connector": he knew just about everybody, particularly the revolutionary leaders in each of the towns that he rode through. But Revere "wasn't just the man with the biggest Rolodex in colonial Boston," he was also a "Maven" who gathered extensive information about the British. He knew what was going on and he knew exactly whom to tell. The phenomenon continues to this day--think of how often you've received information in an e-mail message that had been forwarded at least half a dozen times before reaching you.

Gladwell develops these and other concepts (such as the "stickiness" of ideas or the effect of population size on information dispersal) through simple, clear explanations and entertainingly illustrative anecdotes, such as comparing the pedagogical methods of Sesame Street and Blue's Clues, or explaining why it would be even easier to play Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon with the actor Rod Steiger. Although some readers may find the transitional passages between chapters hold their hands a little too tightly, and Gladwell's closing invocation of the possibilities of social engineering sketchy, even chilling, The Tipping Point is one of the most effective books on science for a general audience in ages. It seems inevitable that "tipping point," like "future shock" or "chaos theory," will soon become one of those ideas that everybody knows--or at least knows by name. --Ron Hogan
[Reply]
Baby Lee 06:24 PM 11-17-2007
Originally Posted by stevieray:
I borrowed that from one of my chums, he has the keenest jalopy.
[Reply]
Jilly 06:26 PM 11-17-2007
I'm a big fan of Barbara Kingsolver...but I think women probably appreciate her work more than men. The best I've read by her so far...The Poisonwood Bible
[Reply]
teedubya 06:55 PM 11-17-2007
Im reading Lifes Golden Ticket by Brendon Bruchard, and Mavericks at Work by the COfounders of Fast Company.

Tipping Point, Zach, is a great book, finished that not long ago.
[Reply]
KCinNY 07:03 PM 11-17-2007
Originally Posted by Adept Havelock:
Worldwar is fun, but very hokey. The Guns of the South..well, obviously the war is over in the first 100 pages or so. The main reason I really enjoyed it was it's a fantastic presentation of a post-war Robert E. Lee, and very well researched. Especially the parts dealing the the 41st North Carolina Irregulars, IIRC.

I'd also suggest "Death is Lighter than a Feather". It's not Turtledove, but a great book about the Olympic/Coronet landings that Hiroshima made unnecessary.
I tried Turtledove's "Guns of the South" based on a friends recommendation. Couldn't really take the plot seriously (time machine and all) but you're right, he really did his research and the attention to character detail is excellent.

I just started Jeff Sharra's "The Rising Tide." It's the first part in a trilogy about WWII. I read "Gods and Generals" a few years ago and thought that the author was nowhere near as talented as his father, but so far "Tide" is pretty decent.

I wish John Keegan would crank out a few more books before he dies. He's the gold standard for military history.
[Reply]
plbrdude 07:14 PM 11-17-2007
getting set to get into "Growing a Church- Seven Apostolic Principles" by David K. Bernard
[Reply]
JohninGpt 07:15 PM 11-17-2007
Originally Posted by stevieray:
Something to do with cheap Chinese toys and lead paint?
[Reply]
ChiefFripp 08:37 PM 11-17-2007
The Idiot by Dostoevsky. I liked Crime and Punishment and The Brothers Karamazov so well I figured I may just read all of his books.
[Reply]
blueballs 08:44 PM 11-17-2007
I've booked wallpaper
[Reply]
NewChief 08:46 PM 11-17-2007
Originally Posted by Jilly:
I'm a big fan of Barbara Kingsolver...but I think women probably appreciate her work more than men. The best I've read by her so far...The Poisonwood Bible
I absolutely love her. It's one of the few places where my and my wife's literary tastes intersect. The Poisonwood Bible definitely appeals to my ambitious fiction tastes in that's it's a BIG work with lots of ideas and lots of nerve driving it. That being said, I think the Prodigal Summer is probably my favorite work of hers. It just spoke to me like crazy.

My wife finished her memoir about eating locally a while back, but I haven't picked it up yet.
[Reply]
Easy 6 08:47 PM 11-17-2007
The "Eye Witness Travel Guide to Great Britain".

Its packed with useful information, not just on where to go & what to see, but it also has all kinds of great historical info. I plan to go see Britain & Scotland one day & this book will be very useful.
[Reply]
Macroach 08:53 PM 11-17-2007
The Executioner's Song ... again. Good ole' Norm was out of the limelight until his recent demise.
[Reply]
Delano 09:14 PM 11-17-2007
On a recent trip I picked up a bunch of books, including:

Searching for Yellowstone by Paul Schullery. Some good National Park Service history along with a lot of interesting wildlife management stories and history is packed in the book.

I also got a collection of John Muir's writings. I have read almost all of the essay's and stories from other sources. I can't help but rereading them in this sweet book. I found it in an interesting little book shop in West Yellowstone. Very cool IMO.
[Reply]
Page 28 of 160
« First < 182425262728 293031323878128 > Last »
Up