ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 270 of 791
« First < 170220260266267268269270 271272273274280320370770 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>2019 Free agency Thread
O.city 03:24 PM 02-05-2019
We don't really have one of these yet, so figured we could use this as a place to discuss potential free agent acquisitions and what we would like to look for them to bring in.

If any of you guys are interested, heres a good place to do some research.

https://overthecap.com/
[Reply]
The Franchise 12:13 PM 03-11-2019
Originally Posted by Detoxing:
I don't think so. I think a lot of those safeties will be cheap. Remember last year's market?

Hell, some guys here wouldn't shut up about Tre Boston and that dude didn't get signed till like the end of camp.
Last year’s safety market and this year’s will have nothing in common by the end of it.

And I’m not paying Mosley $17 million a season.
[Reply]
saphojunkie 12:13 PM 03-11-2019
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
Teams can find money anywhere they want. It happens every year.
Not all teams...
[Reply]
Red Dawg 12:13 PM 03-11-2019
The draft it is.
[Reply]
htismaqe 12:14 PM 03-11-2019
Originally Posted by saphojunkie:
I'm going to say something very unpopular, but hear me out...

We should let Chris Jones walk.

Okay, settle down, hear me out. Watching the Raiders shell out huge money to Trent Brown and guaranteeing the Pats get ANOTHER third round comp pick got me thinking...

The secret to the NFL is obviously to have the franchise QB. But there's a sneaky second level to the equation - and it's comp picks. Let's say the Chiefs draft Jerry Tillery. You have a REALLY similar player in terms of production and physical ability. Just as Chris Jones is getting ready to hit the market, so too is Mahomes getting ready for his mega deal.

Let Jones walk. Let someone else pay $100M for a defensive lineman. Stay away from any big free agents in 2020, and you'll be guaranteeing yourself more day 2 picks, which SHOULD be starters for your team. We have to start keeping cost down around the rest of the team in order to make sure we can surround Mahomes with enough talent to keep making SB runs.

The best way to do that is make sure you are flush with day 1 and 2 draft picks.

I love Jones. He's awesome. But I think at some point you have to actually look at the Patriots and emulate their strategy. That means staying away from huge contracts other than QB. And HOPEFULLY the Chiefs figure out how to back-door pay Mahomes in some way to keep his actual cap number lower. Cough cough... give dad a consulting job for $5M a year...
I think it's a pretty big stretch to say Tillery is a similar player when he hasn't played a down yet. Chris Jones just notched more sacks from a down linemen position than most of the edge rushers in the NFL.
[Reply]
O.city 12:14 PM 03-11-2019

Okay, settle down, hear me out. Watching the Raiders shell out huge money to Trent Brown and guaranteeing the Pats get ANOTHER third round comp pick got me thinking...

The secret to the NFL is obviously to have the franchise QB. But there's a sneaky second level to the equation - and it's comp picks. Let's say the Chiefs draft Jerry Tillery. You have a REALLY similar player in terms of production and physical ability. Just as Chris Jones is getting ready to hit the market, so too is Mahomes getting ready for his mega deal.

Let Jones walk. Let someone else pay $100M for a defensive lineman. Stay away from any big free agents in 2020, and you'll be guaranteeing yourself more day 2 picks, which SHOULD be starters for your team. We have to start keeping cost down around the rest of the team in order to make sure we can surround Mahomes with enough talent to keep making SB runs.

The best way to do that is make sure you are flush with day 1 and 2 draft picks.

I love Jones. He's awesome. But I think at some point you have to actually look at the Patriots and emulate their strategy. That means staying away from huge contracts other than QB. And HOPEFULLY the Chiefs figure out how to back-door pay Mahomes in some way to keep his actual cap number lower. Cough cough... give dad a consulting job for $5M a year...
I'm just not looking at the Pats for anything. They're a unicorn and not to be recreated.
[Reply]
Sassy Squatch 12:14 PM 03-11-2019
Originally Posted by Red Dawg:
Why can't you just shut up. You know that word should not be used and leave it at that. Act like you have some manners.
Retard
[Reply]
ToxSocks 12:14 PM 03-11-2019
Originally Posted by The Franchise:
Last year’s safety market and this year’s will have nothing in common by the end of it.

And I’m not paying Mosley $17 million a season.
I agree on Mosley. But if we want a "Box Safety", i bet we could land Phillips for hella cheap compared to Collins. Adrian Phillips can play that same role at maybe half the cost or less.
[Reply]
booger 12:15 PM 03-11-2019

If you feel that way fine, that’s one opinion but good lord how about trading him instead of let’s just let him walk?
[Reply]
htismaqe 12:15 PM 03-11-2019
Originally Posted by Detoxing:
I agree on Mosley. But if we want a "Box Safety", i bet we could land Phillips for hella cheap compared to Collins. Adrian Phillips can play that same role at maybe half the cost or less.
There's a lot of guys on that list that could play box safety at half the cost or less.

I'm down with that.
[Reply]
Red Dawg 12:17 PM 03-11-2019
Originally Posted by Superturtle:
Retard
I feel sorry for you and your mother.
[Reply]
saphojunkie 12:17 PM 03-11-2019
I think it's a pretty big stretch to say Tillery is a similar player when he hasn't played a down yet. Chris Jones just notched more sacks from a down linemen position than most of the edge rushers in the NFL.
Sure - absolutely. That's the catch to this entire philosophy - you have to be able to draft. But they found Chris Jones, so I don't know why they can't do it again.

And I only mean that Tillery is like a carbon copy of Jones in terms of measurables.
[Reply]
booger 12:17 PM 03-11-2019
If you just take the safe route and sign Amos that’s good too
[Reply]
saphojunkie 12:19 PM 03-11-2019
Originally Posted by booger:
If you feel that way fine, that’s one opinion but good lord how about trading him instead of let’s just let him walk?
100%. I probably should have prefaced that. I would be an infuriating GM, because I would almost NEVER pay a premium for home-grown players. Every single time the fans posted a "pay that man his money" gif, you could all but guarantee that dude is wearing a different jersey next season.

My trades would come down to whether or not I think the comp pick would be higher, and that's that. Cold blooded.

I think it's the only way to field a truly great team around a franchise QB. It's how you have extended excellence. Great college scouting + multiple throws at the dart board.
[Reply]
Sassy Squatch 12:20 PM 03-11-2019
Originally Posted by Red Dawg:
I feel sorry for you and your mother.
I feel sorry that you're retarded enough to take online social interactions seriously.
[Reply]
saphojunkie 12:21 PM 03-11-2019
There's a lot of guys on that list that could play box safety at half the cost or less.

I'm down with that.
I'm hoping the flush market severely depresses Collins' value, but I agree. Why not sign TWO guys under 27 years old for the same price?

Unless you really believe collins is that much better, younger, a better leader, and you fully plan to land another guy in the draft.

Regardless, no safety this offseason should be the highest paid in history.
[Reply]
Page 270 of 791
« First < 170220260266267268269270 271272273274280320370770 > Last »
Up