ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 27 of 160
« First < 172324252627 282930313777127 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Ok for the high brow crowd what books you are reading
big nasty kcnut 10:37 PM 03-11-2006
I'm reading The New American Revolution by tammy bruce. She is a great thinker and funny.
[Reply]
NewChief 07:40 AM 11-17-2007
I'm planning on rereading Crime and Punishment over the Thanksgiving Break.
[Reply]
pikesome 07:44 AM 11-17-2007
Originally Posted by NewPhin:
I'm planning on rereading Crime and Punishment over the Thanksgiving Break.
Dostoevsky? The Russians are too wordy and depressing for my tastes. Although I did finish C&P, something I couldn't do with War & Peace.
[Reply]
blaise 08:52 AM 11-17-2007
I like Dostoevsky's Notes From the Underground. It's very good, and not too long. Like an extended short story.
[Reply]
NewChief 09:07 AM 11-17-2007
Originally Posted by pikesome:
Dostoevsky? The Russians are too wordy and depressing for my tastes. Although I did finish C&P, something I couldn't do with War & Peace.
It's always fun to me to turn that first page of a long work like that. It's like embarking on the first step of a really long journey. I haven't tackled a large work like this since Pynchon's Against the Day. I definitely enjoy Dostoevsky more than Tolstoy, though.
[Reply]
NewChief 09:07 AM 11-17-2007
Originally Posted by blaise:
I like Dostoevsky's Notes From the Underground. It's very good, and not too long. Like an extended short story.
Notes is wonderful as well, though I haven't read it since I was in grad. school.
[Reply]
Coach 09:12 AM 11-17-2007
Rise and Fall of the 3rd Reich, by William L. Shirer.
[Reply]
oldandslow 09:42 AM 11-17-2007
[QUOTE=NewPhin]I finished The Road last week as well. I really liked it, probably more than any other McCarthy book. As you said, it has an eerie, chilling feel to it. It reads like a parable or something.

The Road is an excellent work. I am not a McCarthy fan, but this went beyond the man as an author. I felt a sense of surrealism for days after reading it. I am thinking about assigning it in a interdisciplinary critical thought class that I teach.
[Reply]
Adept Havelock 10:35 AM 11-17-2007
Originally Posted by JohninGpt:
No I haven't. I've always been fascinated with history, and kind of read him for the first time (the Great War series) on a lark. I found that the way he wrote alternate history was very plausable, even likely if certain events would have changed or not happened. I really enjoyed the whole series. But I don't know if I can get into the Sci-fi/fantasy stuff. From what I understand "Guns of the South" is based on a time traveller giving the Confederacy AK-47's, which is too big of a leap for the history guy in me.
I have read a couple other stand alone alternate histories by him that I enjoyed. One was "Ruled Britania". Sheakspeare as a resistance leader was pretty cool. And I can't remeber the other. Let me refill my Bubbakeg with rum and coke and I'll try to figure it out.
Ruled Britannia was very good, I also liked "In The Presence of my Enemies". He also did a decent two book series on an invasion of Hawaii following Pearl Harbor (Days of Infamy/End of the Beginning).

Worldwar is fun, but very hokey. The Guns of the South..well, obviously the war is over in the first 100 pages or so. The main reason I really enjoyed it was it's a fantastic presentation of a post-war Robert E. Lee, and very well researched. Especially the parts dealing the the 41st North Carolina Irregulars, IIRC.

I'd also suggest "Death is Lighter than a Feather". It's not Turtledove, but a great book about the Olympic/Coronet landings that Hiroshima made unnecessary.
[Reply]
NewChief 11:35 AM 11-17-2007
[QUOTE=oldandslow]
I finished The Road last week as well. I really liked it, probably more than any other McCarthy book. As you said, it has an eerie, chilling feel to it. It reads like a parable or something.

The Road is an excellent work. I am not a McCarthy fan, but this went beyond the man as an author. I felt a sense of surrealism for days after reading it. I am thinking about assigning it in a interdisciplinary critical thought class that I teach.
I think it would be an excellent work for critical analysis. It just has a certain gravitas to it. As I was reading it, I also couldn't help but think what a great minimalist art film the book would make.
[Reply]
NewChief 11:38 AM 11-17-2007
Originally Posted by Adept Havelock:
Ruled Britannia was very good, I also liked "In The Presence of my Enemies". He also did a decent two book series on an invasion of Hawaii following Pearl Harbor (Days of Infamy/End of the Beginning).

Worldwar is fun, but very hokey. The Guns of the South..well, obviously the war is over in the first 100 pages or so. The main reason I really enjoyed it was it's a fantastic presentation of a post-war Robert E. Lee, and very well researched. Especially the parts dealing the the 41st North Carolina Irregulars, IIRC.

I'd also suggest "Death is Lighter than a Feather". It's not Turtledove, but a great book about the Olympic/Coronet landings that Hiroshima made unnecessary.
One of my students is reading a Turtledove where aliens invade during WWII, forcing the Axis and Allies to unite with each other against the common enemy.
[Reply]
pr_capone 11:42 AM 11-17-2007
Right now I am reading Don Quixote.

It is taking me some time... have to do it in chunks to get anything done really.
[Reply]
NewChief 11:53 AM 11-17-2007
Originally Posted by pr_capone:
Right now I am reading Don Quixote.

It is taking me some time... have to do it in chunks to get anything done really.
I read Don Quixote while I was backpacking across Europe (probably one of the greatest ways to get a ton of reading done, as you have so much time just sitting around or riding on trains). I loved about the first half of it, but it really seemed to drag after that.
[Reply]
Adept Havelock 12:07 PM 11-17-2007
One of my students is reading a Turtledove where aliens invade during WWII, forcing the Axis and Allies to unite with each other against the common enemy.
That's Worldwar/Colonization series. Turns out the "Foo Fighters" they detected over Europe were recon for the little green guys.

It's hokey as hell, but fun.

For more serious reading, I just finished another trip through William Craigs "Enemy at the Gates" and am getting ready to start "The First Circle" by Solzhenitsyn.
[Reply]
alanm 12:53 PM 11-17-2007
My Men Are My Heros
The Brad Kasal story.
Attached: 51ze4qhBAhL._AA240_.jpg (16.7 KB) 
[Reply]
AZChief 01:06 PM 11-17-2007
All Over But the Shouting: An Oral History of The Replacements by Jim Walsh
[Reply]
Page 27 of 160
« First < 172324252627 282930313777127 > Last »
Up