ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 264 of 3903
« First < 164214254260261262263264 2652662672682743143647641264 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
Bugeater 12:38 AM 03-15-2020
Originally Posted by RINGLEADER:
Some interesting data from the CDC is leading some to report that we may have been visited by this and mis-attributed cases to the flu that were really Corona. Combined with how it is spreading this person (quoting some gov sources) seems to think a lot of people have already had the Corona virus. Not sure if the increases are more due to having fewer tests early on the positively ID Corona but the spike in cases attributed to the flu in Dec and Jan are interesting.

Heck, I know a guy who was extremely sick for a couple weeks just before last Christmas and looking back now what he described to me sure sounds familiar. Respiratory issues, nasty persistent cough, can't recall if he mentioned fever though. He had been working in a house that was being renovated pulling old rotten dusty carper prior, and apparently the Drs attributed it to that, which I thought was odd, but not improbable. Sure makes one think though...
[Reply]
SPchief 01:07 AM 03-15-2020
Originally Posted by BigRedChief:
stop
[Reply]
jjjayb 02:18 AM 03-15-2020
Originally Posted by SPchief:
stop
Hey, I know Tommy's friend too! I do! :-)

Why don't we see many news reports of the people who have had it and recovered? Of the majority of the people who have had it and had mild symptoms? Guess that doesn't sell eh?
[Reply]
suzzer99 03-15-2020, 02:32 AM
This message has been deleted by suzzer99. Reason: nevermind not worth it
suzzer99 03-15-2020, 02:34 AM
This message has been deleted by suzzer99.
suzzer99 02:42 AM 03-15-2020
Originally Posted by Bugeater:
Heck, I know a guy who was extremely sick for a couple weeks just before last Christmas and looking back now what he described to me sure sounds familiar. Respiratory issues, nasty persistent cough, can't recall if he mentioned fever though. He had been working in a house that was being renovated pulling old rotten dusty carper prior, and apparently the Drs attributed it to that, which I thought was odd, but not improbable. Sure makes one think though...
You know it's really weird because almost everyone I work with and a bunch of my friends and family got a 3-4 week cough in late December. I got it in Vegas. Started out mild, then the second and 3rd week really sucked, coughing myself to sleep at night, some coughing fits in the day. I have a really strong immune system too. Feels like the longest cold I've ever had.

I heard a DJ in KC (Chuck Nasty I think) describe the same thing and say his Dr. told him he had the croup. So I assumed that's what it was.

I don't really remember a fever at the onset but maybe there was one.

Maybe what we all got was the milder strain, and then it mutated in China and they and Italy got the brutal strain. Maybe we have some herd immunity or something. Also a population of smokers could be the big problem.

Some official in China is convinced some US athletes brought it over there in November. But obviously that doesn't mean much.
[Reply]
Titty Meat 02:42 AM 03-15-2020
Dave really is on some bullshit
[Reply]
'Hamas' Jenkins 04:34 AM 03-15-2020
Originally Posted by dlphg9:
So he had TB and lung problems? Doesn't sound like a guy that is too healthy to me. Also what's the anti malaria medicine for? That literally doesn't make sense. Also half the shit on social media is a lie.
The antimalarial is chloroquine or hydroxychloroquine (brand name Plaquenil). Plaquenil is also used for rheumatoid arthritis because it reduces the inflammatory autoimmune response, which leads to joint destruction. While our immune responses are normally helpful, there are examples where pathogens can cause inflammatory responses that are detrimental--one of the best examples is the cytokine storm invoked by the 1918 H1N1 strain, which is why young adults with the healthiest immune systems suffered the highest rates of death.

It is likely that severe cases of COVID-19 initiate a harmful inflammatory response, which is why agents like chloroquine and tocilizumab are being investigated for efficacy. However, that does not mean that all immunosuppressants are created equal. In almost all cases you want robust immune function.
[Reply]
Titty Meat 04:52 AM 03-15-2020
Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins:
The antimalarial is chloroquine or hydroxychloroquine (brand name Plaquenil). Plaquenil is also used for rheumatoid arthritis because it reduces the inflammatory autoimmune response, which leads to joint destruction. While our immune responses are normally helpful, there are examples where pathogens can cause inflammatory responses that are detrimental--one of the best examples is the cytokine storm invoked by the 1918 H1N1 strain, which is why young adults with the healthiest immune systems suffered the highest rates of death.

It is likely that severe cases of COVID-19 initiate a harmful inflammatory response, which is why agents like chloroquine and tocilizumab are being investigated for efficacy. However, that does not mean that all immunosuppressants are created equal. In almost all cases you want robust immune function.
How many people in a study have to show success in order for the drug to move forward? I've read Favilavir has shown to be successful with about 70 in a clinical study in China. Also read that APN01 was developed in the early 2000s during the SARS outbreak and helped prevent damage to lungs. Could a cocktail of these drugs work the same way HIV patients take a number of medications in combination to combat the virus?
[Reply]
IUsedToBeATightEnd 06:07 AM 03-15-2020
Originally Posted by SupDock:

Powerful
Scary.
Bergamo has a population of 120.000. What if it spreads to Milan with a population of 2+ Millions, and not far from Bergamo.
Guess they took the right decision locking up the whole country.
[Reply]
'Hamas' Jenkins 06:10 AM 03-15-2020
Originally Posted by Titty Meat:
How many people in a study have to show success in order for the drug to move forward? I've read Favilavir has shown to be successful with about 70 in a clinical study in China. Also read that APN01 was developed in the early 2000s during the SARS outbreak and helped prevent damage to lungs. Could a cocktail of these drugs work the same way HIV patients take a number of medications in combination to combat the virus?
The short answer is that it's complicated. The long answer will follow:

1) The evidence is only as good as the trial design. In a situation like this, you aren't going to have good trial design, because people deteriorate quickly, there are no known beneficial treatments, and the need is so great that you aren't going to be able to blind patients and/or investigators as there is no standard of care to compare against. Ideally, you would want a large, multicenter trial with thousands of patients from a variety of demographics. They would need a random distribution between the intervention and the control group that is also consistent within subgroups. The trial should also be forward-looking (prospective) rather than collecting data from old cases and compiling it together (retrospective). The more patients you have, the greater your predictive power of the trial can be. Blinding helps prevent the placebo effect and reporter bias, but that really can't be done at this stage either.

2) In order to pass muster, most operators have agreed that a p-value of greater than two standard deviations is necessary to reduce the chances of it being a statistical anomaly. What that means is that there has to be less than a five percent chance the effects are random for it to be statistically significant. However, this is also complicated--what is the difference between clinical and statistical significance? Let's say I have a blood pressure drug I'm bringing to market and it lowers BP by an average of 2mmHg compared to a popular ACE-inhibitor, like lisinopril. Is that statistically significant? Yes. Is it clinically significant? Not likely. So the other thing I have to do is consider how much of a clinical impact this drug may have. That's why Tamiflu is overused in my opinion. Unless you are very young or old/immunocompromised, Tamiflu only shortens the duration of flu symptoms by about 8 hours, and that's only if you begin treatment within the first 40 hours of symptom onset.

3) Trials normally progress through three distinct phases (ignoring the preclinical trials with animal and computer models). The first is a dose escalation study--what can the body handle. Usually this is done in healthy volunteers depending upon the drug, but in more emergent cases, it is applied to individuals with the illness. The second phase is generally a placebo comparison--is this better than nothing at all? The third phase is comparison against an active comparator. Is this better than the current standard of care? As you can see, a trial for a COVID-19 agent isn't going to be able to meet these standards very well, either.

So, let's apply this to COVID-19:

What am I looking for first: a mortality benefit. What am I looking for next: morbidity benefits: decreased hospitalization length, reduced clinical sequelae, etc.

So, what are these studies like: the favipravir study you mention is just a dose escalation study of about 60 people. You can get enough data with a sample size that small to meet statistical significance, but the confidence intervals will be broad and uncertainty high due to the small sample size.

Also, what are the impacts of polypharmacy? Generally, multiple agents are needed in the case of antivirals, whether it's Hep C or HIV. However, one must be careful in choosing those agents due to drug interactions.

Protease inhibitors are a great example. Their use revolutionized treatment for HIV, but protease inhibitors are among the strongest inhibitors of an enzyme in your body called cytochrome p450 3A4, which metabolizes more drugs than any other drug type. Well, what does this mean? Let's say that I'm taking carbamazepine for seizures and I start a protease inhibitor. What happens? The inhibition of 3A4 causes carbamazepine levels in my system to build up to toxic levels because I'm not clearing the drug quickly enough.

So, what happens if one agent is a substrate and the other is an enzyme inducer? The second drug wipes out the efficacy of the first drug. In other cases, the inhibition (carbamazepine example) can actually be a benefit. Ritonavir is a potent 3A4 inhibitor, and is used to actually boost the level of other protease inhibitors (as they are also 3A4 substrates). Thus, when weighing such therapy, I must consider those effects as well.

Also, I have to think about the side effects of each drug. For years, patients coming into the hospital who may have had an infection were given broad spectrum antibiotic coverage often with vancomycin and piperacillin-tazobactam (Zosyn). This would cover gram-positive bugs, gram-negative bugs and anaerobes. However, both agents are harmful to the kidneys, and the rate of acute kidney injury from their concurrent use is high, especially in an elderly population. This is also why you should avoid the use of fluoroquinolone antibiotics in the elderly. They increase the QT interval in the heart (old people are already prone to arrhythmias) and increase the risk of tendon rupture. So, who am I giving my new therapy to? What are its side effects? How do those side effects affect that person? What are their comorbidities?

However, there's a reason why HAART works. In the case of HIV, which is prone to rapid mutation, suppression of one target (reverse transcriptase was the first and only target for almost a decade) leads to rapid development of resistance. Suppression of multiple targets (reverse transcriptase *2 plus viral protease) lead to a revolution in therapy, although not an elimination of resistance. We are still learning about SarsCoV2. Sites of attachment, entry, etc. More time will provide greater clarity on the viral life cycle, which will better elucidate treatments. Time, unfortunately, is not on our side in this case.

Key takeaways:

There is no magic number of patients, but more (hundreds to thousands) is always better and far, far more predictive than dozens.

Polypharmacy may work if the mechanisms of action are synergistic or additive, but the risk of drug interactions and drug-disease interactions also increases.
[Reply]
KCUnited 07:06 AM 03-15-2020
IL with 20 new cases overnight. Largest single day increase in the state since day 1. One case is a 60 yr old women in a DuPage Co nursing home.
[Reply]
DaFace 07:19 AM 03-15-2020
Originally Posted by srvy:
Trump tests negative for the Wuhan virus.
Originally Posted by thecoffeeguy:
Cant believe people actually down voted this.
I'm guessing people are downvoting it because it's "political," which I get.

As we've acknowledged, there's a ton of grey area here. My personal opinion is that factual news about Trump and the administration's response is welcome in this thread. It would be very difficult to avoid it entirely. Posts that second-guess said response or try to get into the blame game are not.
[Reply]
dirk digler 07:21 AM 03-15-2020
just do it

[Reply]
displacedinMN 07:28 AM 03-15-2020
good morning all. Hoping for a healthy day.
[Reply]
DaFace 07:31 AM 03-15-2020
Originally Posted by TLO:
Health anxiety (GAD and Panic DIsorder) combined with OCD is a bitch.

I wish I could turn it off and unplug, I just can't bring myself to do it.
Can you force yourself to only check in in doses? The constant stream of information and knowing every little detail are the things that drive anxiety. If you can just check in in the morning and evening or something, it might help.

Nothing about this is changing so fast that not knowing the latest for 12 hours is gonna make any difference.
[Reply]
Chief Roundup 07:31 AM 03-15-2020
Originally Posted by dirk digler:
just do it

There would still be masses meeting up and spreading it.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk
[Reply]
Page 264 of 3903
« First < 164214254260261262263264 2652662672682743143647641264 > Last »
Up