ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 26 of 85
« First < 162223242526 272829303676 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Handy-Man Corner
Iowanian 08:25 AM 09-24-2004
I'm tired of bad Chiefs news.....

I thought it would be a good idea for a thread on the Handy-Man.

Do you have any Home remedies, gadgets you've made, advice on car repair, home maint, sollutions to kill weeds in your yard, bugs in your garden?

Use Coke to clean your batteries? That type of stuff.
Home made floor dry?
[Reply]
bogie 07:01 PM 01-23-2007
Originally Posted by Phobia:
No, you shouldn't paint melanine.
That's what I thought. Thanks, melanine's not the best route I should take.
[Reply]
Saulbadguy 08:19 AM 01-26-2007
Ok, now for the final phase of the "getting my place ready to sell" project. Carpet.

How much should I expect to pay (labor and materials)? I'm guessing I have around 300 sq feet to carpet, and I just want some cheap carpet.
[Reply]
Saulbadguy 08:21 AM 01-26-2007
Tommorrow we are putting some swiftlock wood flooring laminate in the kitchen. Anyone have any experience with this? It seems pretty easy, just snap it together.
[Reply]
Chief Chief 08:31 AM 01-26-2007
Originally Posted by Saulbadguy:
Tommorrow we are putting some swiftlock wood flooring laminate in the kitchen. Anyone have any experience with this? It seems pretty easy, just snap it together.
Ya might wanna try..uhmm..how to say this?..ah, yes!..snapping it together.
[Reply]
Bugeater 08:38 AM 01-26-2007
Heh, yeah it's easy if you have a perfectly square room with no obstacles. What's the layout of your kitchen like?
[Reply]
Phobia 08:39 AM 01-26-2007
Snapping it together isn't the trouble. Undercutting trim and getting the laminate cut around the tight places in your kitchen is the problem, especially for first timers.

Laminate is always marketed to inexperienced DIYers as "easy" but it's really difficult, especially if your room isn't square.
[Reply]
Saulbadguy 08:41 AM 01-26-2007
Originally Posted by Bugeater:
Heh, yeah it's easy if you have a perfectly square room with no obstacles. What's the layout of your kitchen like?
We will be replacing the trim as well.
Attached: New Bitmap Image.bmp (558.2 KB) 
[Reply]
Phobia 08:42 AM 01-26-2007
Ok, now for the final phase of the "getting my place ready to sell" project. Carpet.

How much should I expect to pay (labor and materials)? I'm guessing I have around 300 sq feet to carpet, and I just want some cheap carpet.
Carpet is generally sold by the yard. You're looking at 10 yards.

You should be able to get incredibly cheap carpet installed - all inclusive for around $1000. If you're selling your place, upgrade the pad. It will make the carpet feel more expensive than it is.
[Reply]
Bugeater 08:43 AM 01-26-2007
Any door jambs?
[Reply]
Saulbadguy 08:43 AM 01-26-2007
Originally Posted by Bugeater:
Any door jambs?
no.
[Reply]
Stewie 08:52 AM 01-26-2007
Since you're selling your house I guess this is OK. A friend of mine put down a similar floor in the kitchen and water seeped between the joints and caused the wood to swell. He's living with it for now, but plans on going another route when he fixes this mistake.
[Reply]
Bugeater 08:57 AM 01-26-2007
no.
Good, because they are a big hassle. Your's looks fairly simple. I'd recommend buying an installation kit with a tapping block, pulling bar and spacers. This is the best pic I could find of one:

Even though it seems easy to snap them together when you have two loose pieces, it's not going to be that easy when you are putting the stuff down. Alway be ginger when using the tapping block because the edges can and will chip. My best advice is to be patient with the stuff and don't force it.
[Reply]
Phobia 09:12 AM 01-26-2007
Good advice BE.

Saul, you aren't gonna snap this floor together in 2 hours like you see on TV. Leave plenty of time to get it done and don't rush. Measure twice, cut once.
[Reply]
Lzen 09:39 AM 01-26-2007
Anyone ever put in a door and door frame? Need to replace my front door. New door is 80" and old one is about 84" tall. Obviously, I'm going to have to added facer board on the outside and sheetrock on the inside. I will have my uncle who is fairly experienced at home improvements help guide me. Do you guys have any other advice on this?
[Reply]
Iowanian 09:44 AM 01-26-2007
Front door at my first house was one of the bigger "Oh crap" projects I got into in that project.
Everything was so out of whack that it was quite an ordeal.
Have some lumber, plenty of shims, some insulation to stuff, caulking and some edging.

I can't imagine your project not being easier than that mess was....
[Reply]
Page 26 of 85
« First < 162223242526 272829303676 > Last »
Up