ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 25 of 39
« First < 152122232425 2627282935 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>2021 General Fitness thread
Buehler445 11:48 AM 01-02-2021
How's everyone's 2021? These threads have been full of good stuff in years past.

What are we doing this year?
[Reply]
Buehler445 10:43 AM 07-07-2022
Originally Posted by ThaVirus:
I've actually seen a bit of growth in my calves lately by adding a run to/from the gym and focusing more on pausing at the top and bottom of each rep. I was definitely the guy who was bouncing the weight while doing calf raises and just wasn't aware that that wasn't doing much for the actual muscle.

I've got a long way to go, regardless. For years I neglected legs in favor of sexy arm and chest workouts and now I'm paying for it. I have the upper body of a 180 pound dude who's lifted consistently for years to go with the lower body of a 145 pounder who lifts occasionally.
If you do some sprints, that will help your calves as much as anything. At least it did for me, back when I could do it.

As far as grip, do some moonlighting at a mechanic or tire shop, you get paid to up your grip strength :-)

A real low tech solution is to get a stick and tie a rope to a weight and roll the rope up and down. That will help the forearms.

Not unlike this, but you know, a stick and rope.

[Reply]
Titty Meat 11:13 AM 07-07-2022
Originally Posted by penguinz:
Can you just push everything forward a day so you still have a rest day after?

Mon upper
Tues lower
Wed rest/abs/cardio
thurs upper
fri lower
sat hiit
sun off

Depending on how intense the lifting in in the HIIT class is you should be good keeping current schedule or pushing it a day.

Personally I have always preferred a push/pull vs upper lower if not just going with the bro workout.

Mon Chest, Shoulders, Triceps
Tues Back, biceps, traps
Wed Legs
Thur Chest, Shoulders, Triceps
Fri Back, biceps, traps
Sat/Sun Rest

If you went with something like that it would give you your sat for hiit and a rest day after.
Good idea on pushing everything a day forward
[Reply]
lewdog 11:35 AM 07-07-2022
Can you just push everything forward a day so you still have a rest day after?

Mon upper
Tues lower
Wed rest/abs/cardio
thurs upper
fri lower
sat hiit
sun off

Depending on how intense the lifting in in the HIIT class is you should be good keeping current schedule or pushing it a day.

Personally I have always preferred a push/pull vs upper lower if not just going with the bro workout.

Mon Chest, Shoulders, Triceps
Tues Back, biceps, traps
Wed Legs
Thur Chest, Shoulders, Triceps
Fri Back, biceps, traps
Sat/Sun Rest

If you went with something like that it would give you your sat for hiit and a rest day after.
Legs once a week is for pussies.
[Reply]
Titty Meat 11:50 AM 07-07-2022
I'm a big fan of the upper lower split. I'd say I've seen tremendous results with it especially the past 3-4 months
[Reply]
penguinz 12:06 PM 07-07-2022
Originally Posted by lewdog:
Legs once a week is for pussies.
When you have a repaired achilles, repaired knee and bulging disks in lower back you have to be conservative and have plenty of rest. The weekend also usually consists of 15+ miles of running/sprinting.

I wish more was possible but getting old and falling apart makes things difficult.
[Reply]
lewdog 12:47 PM 07-07-2022
When you have a repaired achilles, repaired knee and bulging disks in lower back you have to be conservative and have plenty of rest. The weekend also usually consists of 15+ miles of running/sprinting.

I wish more was possible but getting old and falling apart makes things difficult.
Billy isn’t you. Don’t put him on a bro split.

Some of us take care of our bodies!
[Reply]
penguinz 12:52 PM 07-07-2022
Billy isn’t you. Don’t put him on a bro split.

Some of us take care of our bodies!
Some of us lived life to the fullest and often too close to the edge when they were much younger.
[Reply]
lewdog 12:53 PM 07-07-2022
Some of us lived life to the fullest and often too close to the edge when they were much younger.
THAT’S YOUR FAULT, NOT BILLAY’s.

AND IS THIS A REFERENCE TO SOCCER?!?!?!
[Reply]
ThaVirus 01:35 PM 07-07-2022
Originally Posted by Buehler445:
If you do some sprints, that will help your calves as much as anything. At least it did for me, back when I could do it.

As far as grip, do some moonlighting at a mechanic or tire shop, you get paid to up your grip strength :-)

A real low tech solution is to get a stick and tie a rope to a weight and roll the rope up and down. That will help the forearms.

Not unlike this, but you know, a stick and rope.

I remember that contraption from our weight room in high school. Shit BURNS.

I love sprints myself but it's weird, and possibly suspicious, for a grown man to be running full speed on the side of the road to the gym lol and going to a track/field is just too inconvenient for me at this time.
[Reply]
Buehler445 02:39 PM 07-07-2022
$5 at a hardware store and you can make one out of a dumbell or plate. I'd recommend that.

I love sprints myself but it's weird, and possibly suspicious, for a grown man to be running full speed on the side of the road to the gym lol and going to a track/field is just too inconvenient for me at this time.
I'd try to make it to a track. Our local one stays unlocked with enough light you can do it at night. No clue what's available where you're at.

Real Talk: The endorphine spike I got from sprints was better than anything I got from lifting or other cardio. You have to watch yourself with injuries because you're pulling hard, but I got a lot out of it. Now my knees are shot, but if you can do it and keep your form together, it feels great and it does a lot for you. It doesn't absolutely wax your ass like distance running or repeat quarters or something like that.

Now my knees are shot and I'm not good for it, but I wish I was because that did me some good.
[Reply]
penguinz 03:13 PM 07-07-2022
THAT’S YOUR FAULT, NOT BILLAY’s.

AND IS THIS A REFERENCE TO SOCCER?!?!?!
Soccer destroyed my hands, shoulders and ribs. I was a goal keeper.

My lower back and legs are shot from doing stupid shit like jumping off roof/tree/ledge thinking 'Its only a 15 ft drop, as long as I absorb initial impact with legs and then tuck and roll I will be OK.'

Paying for that stupid type of shit now. I always ask my kids when I see them getting ready to do really stupid shit if they want to look at my emergency room x-rays from when I was their age.
[Reply]
penguinz 03:15 PM 07-07-2022

Just blast the fuck out of your calves with various raises every day you go to the gym. They will start growing or you will die.

Either way someone wins! :-)
[Reply]
lewdog 03:19 PM 07-07-2022
Soccer destroyed my hands, shoulders and ribs. I was a goal keeper.

My lower back and legs are shot from doing stupid shit like jumping off roof/tree/ledge thinking 'Its only a 15 ft drop, as long as I absorb initial impact with legs and then tuck and roll I will be OK.'

Paying for that stupid type of shit now. I always ask my kids when I see them getting ready to do really stupid shit if they want to look at my emergency room x-rays from when I was their age.
Yeah, sorry to hear man. I played sports through high school but never had any serious injuries. Only bone I've ever broken is a rib playing basketball. I've been lifting for 2 decades now and besides some occasional hip issues, I'm mostly pain free there too although not as strong as I used to be. I'll take that tradeoff every day as I age though.

Stories like yours remind me to treat my body like a temple. Hope you get some relief with your recent surgery.
[Reply]
Buehler445 03:33 PM 07-07-2022
Just blast the fuck out of your calves with various raises every day you go to the gym. They will start growing or you will die.

Either way someone wins! :-)
:-)
[Reply]
penguinz 03:39 PM 07-07-2022
Yeah, sorry to hear man. I played sports through high school but never had any serious injuries. Only bone I've ever broken is a rib playing basketball. I've been lifting for 2 decades now and besides some occasional hip issues, I'm mostly pain free there too although not as strong as I used to be. I'll take that tradeoff every day as I age though.

Stories like yours remind me to treat my body like a temple. Hope you get some relief with your recent surgery.
Thanks. My neck feels much much better now. I have some muscle tightness at times that is very uncomfortable but all the nerve issues are gone.

I am back in the gym now just have to be super careful and ease my way back into it. For me this is the most challenging part because my mentality is to do everything at full effort.

I am down to 165lb, was 185-190, after all the time of not being able to lift plus some atrophy.

On the bright side I have the best 6-pack I have ever had.
[Reply]
Page 25 of 39
« First < 152122232425 2627282935 > Last »
Up