ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 25 of 43
« First < 152122232425 2627282935 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Has there ever been a more insecure QB than Baker Mayfield?
RunKC 03:43 PM 09-27-2019
Can’t believe this guy is still being looked at as a “future star”. If anybody should be compared to Jay Cutler, it’s him.

Actually..he’s worse

He talked shit on the Texas QB while he’s in the NFL, he took shots at his old coach who wasn’t even with the team anymore and continued doing it in the offseason, he talked shit on Rex Ryan and now he’s talking shit on Instagram comments.

Good God you dumb motherfucker. You would think he spends as much time doing this petty bullshit as he does studying for a game.

He has shown talent, but man this guy is not someone you want on your team when things aren’t going well.

More reason to be thankful we have Mahomes.
Attached: 0204A3A7-19B5-47E7-8A83-FCE91141861F.jpeg (160.5 KB) 
[Reply]
-King- 11:29 AM 12-23-2019
Originally Posted by O.city:
He's just got too much of an ego. It won't work unless he changes a bit.

Being the QB, you've gotta be the leader and get all guys rowing the same way. When you're constantly causing drama and throwing shit under the bus, it ain't gonna work.
When did he last cause drama though?
[Reply]
RunKC 11:29 AM 12-23-2019
Originally Posted by staylor26:
Mayfield 19 TD’s 18 INT’s

Trubisky 17 TD’s 10 INT’s

Not to mention Baker probably has more talent on offense.

Exactly how is Baker so much better than Trubisky Run?

Do I think he’s better? Yea probably, but don’t kid yourselves, neither of these guys are franchise QB’s that you want to give a huge second contract.
Trubisky never showed potential like Baker did last year. You can chalk part of Bakers struggles on John Dorsey’s dumbass too.

Baker has a horrific OL and even worse coaching. Getting rid of Zeitler was devastating. Putting faith in Robinson at LT was worse. And even worse than that, Dorsey completely failed drafting a BUST LT Austin Corbett with the first pick in the 2nd rd that he traded to the Rams for a bag of Doritos.

It doesn’t matter if you have Jerry fucking Rice if your QB has a clueless coach and an OL that doesn’t give him any time to develop plays.

Dorsey is not the great talent he was made to be here and it’s shows true every day that passes.
[Reply]
chiefzilla1501 11:29 AM 12-23-2019
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
I've never understood why so many Mayfield stans are so quick to handwaive those turnover numbers.

Dude threw 14 picks last year in a partial season to boot.

The guy's a turnover machine. And he creates sacks far more often than people want to acknowledge (same thing Watson does; then people blame his OL because he's a mobile passer so they assume he's helping his OL - he ain't).

He's a talented quarterback but he has significant processing issues that lead to turnovers and sacks that a truly good quarterback doesn't have. And you can't quantify leadership, but I have a hard time seeing a dude who carries himself like Mayfield as any sort of leader. Yes, it's nebulous, but I don't really care. If you don't see what people are saying when they call Baker a frontrunning douche, then you're just not looking.
There's also a middle ground where the guy is limited but a lot better than what his critics say. Sometimes the critical approach is to assume a guy's 100% flawed. I don't think he's a great qb by any stretch but I don't see why at least early in his career he couldn't be an effective game manager.
[Reply]
chiefzilla1501 11:31 AM 12-23-2019
Changing the subject? I already said Baker is better. The subject, which RunKC started with, is Baker is no Trubisky as if that means he can be a franchise QB. He can’t.
Baker with the right coaching can be an effective starting qb. I don't think Trubisky can.
[Reply]
DRM08 11:31 AM 12-23-2019
Mayfield 19 TD’s 18 INT’s

Trubisky 17 TD’s 10 INT’s

Not to mention Baker probably has more talent on offense.

Exactly how is Baker so much better than Trubisky Run?

Do I think he’s better? Yea probably, but don’t kid yourselves, neither of these guys are franchise QB’s that you want to give a huge second contract.
Baker has more of that star charisma. Good at creating drama/controversy in the media. He’s Johnny Manziel Part 2. Honestly the Browns might be fine with him being a Trubisky level player as long as he creates publicity for them. Better than going 0-16 with a no-name QB. Trubisky is boring as hell AND ineffective on the field. Bad combo.
[Reply]
-King- 11:32 AM 12-23-2019
I've never understood why so many Mayfield stans are so quick to handwaive those turnover numbers.

Dude threw 14 picks last year in a partial season to boot.

The guy's a turnover machine. And he creates sacks far more often than people want to acknowledge (same thing Watson does; then people blame his OL because he's a mobile passer so they assume he's helping his OL - he ain't).

He's a talented quarterback but he has significant processing issues that lead to turnovers and sacks that a truly good quarterback doesn't have. And you can't quantify leadership, but I have a hard time seeing a dude who carries himself like Mayfield as any sort of leader. Yes, it's nebulous, but I don't really care. If you don't see what people are saying when they call Baker a frontrunning douche, then you're just not looking.
I think good coaching can help a lot of that. He doesn't have good coaching at all. Kitchens is probably a bottom 3 head coach right now.
[Reply]
O.city 11:32 AM 12-23-2019
Originally Posted by -King-:
When did he last cause drama though?
Throwing the trainers under the bus for the Odell thing? Hell, it's a weekly thing.
[Reply]
chiefzilla1501 11:34 AM 12-23-2019
Originally Posted by DRM08:
Baker has more of that star charisma. Good at creating drama/controversy in the media. He’s Johnny Manziel Part 2. Honestly the Browns might be fine with him being a Trubisky level player as long as he creates publicity for them. Better than going 0-16 with a no-name QB. Trubisky is boring as hell AND ineffective on the field. Bad combo.
I don't buy the manziel comparison. Haven't seen anything to suggest baker doesn't work hard. The guy does care about winning (he's just very bad at losing). And baker actually has nfl talent.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 11:41 AM 12-23-2019
Originally Posted by RunKC:
Trubisky never showed potential like Baker did last year. You can chalk part of Bakers struggles on John Dorsey’s dumbass too.

Baker has a horrific OL and even worse coaching. Getting rid of Zeitler was devastating. Putting faith in Robinson at LT was worse. And even worse than that, Dorsey completely failed drafting a BUST LT Austin Corbett with the first pick in the 2nd rd that he traded to the Rams for a bag of Doritos.

It doesn’t matter if you have Jerry fucking Rice if your QB has a clueless coach and an OL that doesn’t give him any time to develop plays.

Dorsey is not the great talent he was made to be here and it’s shows true every day that passes.
Corbett's been a quality player in LA, though. And Joel Bitonio is REALLY good. JC Tretter is a quality center (easily better than Reiter). And yes, Robinson is over-exposed as a LT, he isn't a genuinely good player. But he's not a complete disaster either. He's a damn sight better than what Mahomes was having to make due with in Erving for better than half the season.

Blaming the OL is the thing teams do when their QB isn't nearly as good as they'd hoped. Its what people did with Smith for years and said that was the reason Smith would struggle.

Turns out that good quarterbacks can make due. It's not ideal - just look at what Mahomes has had to deal with - but it's not a death knell either. You put Mahomes behind that OL and he'd still be excellent. And the sack numbers would be WAY down.

Good quarterbacks help their OL just as much as their OL helps them. Mayfield isn't getting pristine protection out there, but he's doing absolutely nothing to help his guys out either. And he's making them look worse than they are - the same as Smith used to do.

Part of it is that Mayfield makes his OL look worse than it is.
[Reply]
-King- 11:44 AM 12-23-2019
Throwing the trainers under the bus for the Odell thing? Hell, it's a weekly thing.
Oh I wasn't aware of that.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 11:50 AM 12-23-2019
Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501:
There's also a middle ground where the guy is limited but a lot better than what his critics say. Sometimes the critical approach is to assume a guy's 100% flawed. I don't think he's a great qb by any stretch but I don't see why at least early in his career he couldn't be an effective game manager.
Few people think he can't play in the league. Most simply think this "Mahomes vs. Mayfield: A decades long rivalry in the making!" nonsense is laughable. For Chiefs fans in particular, we're still a little chaffed by the Browns game last year when talking heads wanted to pretend like Mayfield was going to dust Mahomes or in the offseason when there were actual arguments that Mayfield might be a better player.

I mean he's REALLY Cutlerish. And Cutler was a dangerous QB for both his opponents and his team. He'd win some games for the Broncos/Bears that they should've lost. And he'd lose them some games they should've won. And he was a D-bag. And everyone always wanted to blame the OL or the Coaches when he was the QB.

In reality, guy just wasn't as good as people hoped he would be.

Originally Posted by -King-:
I think good coaching can help a lot of that. He doesn't have good coaching at all. Kitchens is probably a bottom 3 head coach right now.
Hard to say - I just have such a hard time convincing myself that anybody with a strong tendency at this level will ever truly clear themselves of it. Josh Allen, for instance, will never be accurate though he could be less inaccurate. I don't think Mayfield will ever have good pocket presence or ball security. Now he may be less bad at those things, but we're still talking about...well like I said, Jay Cutler.

And he'll have to humble himself in a big way to deal with the ball security thing. Too many of his interceptions come from "I'm Baker Fucking Mayfield; Imma fit that ball in there..."

Until he realizes that being Baker Mayfield doesn't mean the same thing as being Patrick Mahomes, he's gonna have interception problems. Deshaun Watson made some progress there last season and seems to have his interceptions into an acceptably normal range after being a turnover machine in college. Maybe Mayfield can get there, but not if he can't turn the Baker Mayfield dial down to maybe a 7. And he's not doing that if he doesn't get his ego in check.
[Reply]
DRM08 11:53 AM 12-23-2019
Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501:
I don't buy the manziel comparison. Haven't seen anything to suggest baker doesn't work hard. The guy does care about winning (he's just very bad at losing). And baker actually has nfl talent.
I agree he’s more talented than Manziel. I don’t think the Browns need him to be a phenom level player. As long as he is able to win 6+ games each year, that is good enough in Cleveland.
[Reply]
staylor26 11:54 AM 12-23-2019
I must’ve missed this one. Link?
[Reply]
chiefzilla1501 12:08 PM 12-23-2019
Few people think he can't play in the league. Most simply think this "Mahomes vs. Mayfield: A decades long rivalry in the making!" nonsense is laughable. For Chiefs fans in particular, we're still a little chaffed by the Browns game last year when talking heads wanted to pretend like Mayfield was going to dust Mahomes or in the offseason when there were actual arguments that Mayfield might be a better player.

I mean he's REALLY Cutlerish. And Cutler was a dangerous QB for both his opponents and his team. He'd win some games for the Broncos/Bears that they should've lost. And he'd lose them some games they should've won. And he was a D-bag. And everyone always wanted to blame the OL or the Coaches when he was the QB.

In reality, guy just wasn't as good as people hoped he would be.

Hard to say - I just have such a hard time convincing myself that anybody with a strong tendency at this level will ever truly clear themselves of it. Josh Allen, for instance, will never be accurate though he could be less inaccurate. I don't think Mayfield will ever have good pocket presence or ball security. Now he may be less bad at those things, but we're still talking about...well like I said, Jay Cutler.

And he'll have to humble himself in a big way to deal with the ball security thing. Too many of his interceptions come from "I'm Baker ****ing Mayfield; Imma fit that ball in there..."

Until he realizes that being Baker Mayfield doesn't mean the same thing as being Patrick Mahomes, he's gonna have interception problems. Deshaun Watson made some progress there last season and seems to have his interceptions into an acceptably normal range after being a turnover machine in college. Maybe Mayfield can get there, but not if he can't turn the Baker Mayfield dial down to maybe a 7. And he's not doing that if he doesn't get his ego in check.
Well, I said the instant kitchens was hired that he was the worst possible choice for baker. He needs a handler. Not a disciplinarian, not an enabler. Someone who lets baker be baker, but also reigns him in. I don't know why kitchens wasn't fired on the spot when he wore that ridiculous Pittsburgh started it shirt. How can you expect your qb to be mature when your coach is just as immature.

A coach last year said that Ken zampese, not kitchens, was responsible for Mayfields success and I buy that. Kitchens has elite running backs and he is even worse than Reid at ignoring the run. Kitchens thinks he has mahomes. Mayfield needs a coach who treats him like Josh allen or garopolo. Establish the run first. Baker in a run first offense can become dangerous because you can roll him out all over the place and he is actually outstanding throwing on the run. I don't know if baker can ever grow as a pocket qb but my God kitchens has to build around his strengths, not his weaknesses.
[Reply]
chiefzilla1501 12:13 PM 12-23-2019
He was kind of painted knto a corner on that one. Say nothing, and you act like youre not supporting your teammate. The problem was Dorsey brought in a drama queen into a locker room with a qb and coach who have no idea how to handle him.
[Reply]
Page 25 of 43
« First < 152122232425 2627282935 > Last »
Up