ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 246 of 3903
« First < 146196236242243244245246 2472482492502562963467461246 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
patteeu 01:37 PM 03-14-2020
Originally Posted by DaFace:
My point is that it's silly to act like this is all China's fault when the U.S.'s cuisine has caused just as many issues like this.

Saying that China should do something about it is essentially saying that they should eliminate world hunger. In a perfect world, sure, but some issues can't be fixed easily.
I think the criticism that China let it go too long before admitting there was a problem is still in play though. And their densely-populated, live-animal-infested living conditions aren't reducing their risk of spawning new viruses. Both of those issues offer room for improvement.
[Reply]
DaFace 01:39 PM 03-14-2020
Originally Posted by patteeu:
I think the criticism that China let it go too long before admitting there was a problem is still in play though. And their densely-populated, live-animal-infested living conditions aren't reducing their risk of spawning new viruses. Both of those issues offer room for improvement.
Sure. But none those issues are easy to fix. It's like saying that we should eliminate poverty.
[Reply]
BigRedChief 01:40 PM 03-14-2020
Originally Posted by dlphg9:
So my stepdad is in the hospital recovering from the surgery to remove the cancer. He is in the ICU, has COPD, CHF, and a suppressed immune system due to the radiation and chemo. The hospital has taken measures to try and keep COVID-19 from spreading around the hospital.

Limiting the hours you can visit (7:30 am to 6:30 pm) - Im not an expert on viruses, but this seems to be a pointless tactic. I am pretty sure that the virus doesnt give a **** what time of day it is. They really should be turning all visitors away, unless they are willing to wear a mask at all times, so that in case a person has it they are limiting the chances of spreading it.

Limiting the number of visitors at a time to 2 - another pointless tactic. The visiting hours are 11 hours long. Limiting the amount of people that can be in the room doesn't really do much, especially when there are 11 hours in which they can come visit. If 2 people visit for an hour, then that means 22 people could visit in just one day. I dont think most people even have that many people visit.

Screenings at the door - I think most people know that if they are feeling sick they shouldn't visit the hospital and since you can have no symptoms for up to 2 weeks and still pass this thing around the screenings may keep a couple people from visiting.

I told my mom that she really shouldnt even be visiting because a lot more people have this than what have been tested, so if youve been out going into stores the last few days theres a chance you've been exposed to it and dont even know it. I told her to wear a mask anytime shes in the room and shes very good about washing her hands, so im not too concerned.

One thing that does concern me however is the employees. Chances are fairly good that KC has a good amount of people with this thing and just don't have the symptoms yet. These nurses and other employees of the hospital go out around town on their days off and have probably been exposed as well and since it takes awhile for the symptoms to show up some of them could unknowingly have it and give it to a patient. I asked my mom if the nurses are wearing masks while in the room and she said no and that concerns the hell out of me.

The hospital is treating the coronavirus like it is less severe than the flu. Hell during flu season if you decline to get a flu shot they make you wear a mask either all the time or during the times you interact with patients to protect the patient, just because you didnt get a flu shot. Why are they not requiring workers to wear masks for this because there is no vaccine, you dont have to even have syptoms to spread this, and it's alot more contagious. It just infuriates me that they don't have more precautions there, especially in the ICU of all places. If my stepdad happened to get this then he more than likely would die from it.
no worries about the coronavirus. Im assuming he’s already on a vent. It’s going to be no different for a patient with COPD post surgery that gets a new bug like pneumonia. They are already on a vent. It will take longer to get him off the vent because of the diminished lung capacity due to the COPD.

In my 10 years, we never lost anyone post surgery that picked up a bug post surgery and the COPD kept them from eventually walking out the door. You and the step- dad can just concentrate on kicking cancers ass.
[Reply]
staylor26 01:43 PM 03-14-2020
My point is that it's silly to act like this is all China's fault when the U.S.'s cuisine has caused just as many issues like this.

Saying that China should do something about it is essentially saying that they should eliminate world hunger. In a perfect world, sure, but some issues can't be fixed easily.
Eating raw wild animals is their culture.

That’s a far cry from eating cooked chicken and pork. You would think this is obvious and common sense, but apparently not.

Asking them to at least cook those wild animals isn’t too much.

Also, funny how you went from saying this isn’t dangerous to this isn’t China’s fault.
[Reply]
kgrund 01:43 PM 03-14-2020
Originally Posted by patteeu:
Forget about not admitting a problem, they let people fly to other countries when they knew they likely were infected.
[Reply]
DaFace 01:44 PM 03-14-2020
Originally Posted by staylor26:
Eating raw wild animals is their culture.

That’s a far cry from eating cooked chicken and pork. You would think this is obvious and common sense, but apparently not.

Asking them to at least cook those wild animals isn’t too much.
Do you think it's wealthy people who eat raw meat?
[Reply]
DaFace 01:45 PM 03-14-2020
Originally Posted by kgrund:
Forget about not admitting a problem, they let people fly to other countries when they knew they likely were infected.
Yeah, who would leave their airports open when there's a pandemic? (Hint: Denver just infected Iceland.)
[Reply]
SupDock 01:47 PM 03-14-2020
Originally Posted by BigRedChief:
no worries about the coronavirus. Im assuming he’s already on a vent. It’s going to be no different for a patient with COPD post surgery that gets a new bug like pneumonia. They are already on a vent. It will take longer to get him off the vent because of the diminished lung capacity due to the COPD.

In my 10 years, we never lost anyone post surgery that picked up a bug post surgery and the COPD kept them from eventually walking out the door. You and the step- dad can just concentrate on kicking cancers ass.
Your post confuses me.

Why are post-surgical patients already on a vent when they get a nosocomial infection?

You have never seen a post-op patient develop a nosocomial infection and die?
[Reply]
staylor26 01:47 PM 03-14-2020
I’ve seen pictures/videos that are clearly restaurants serving this. They might not be rich, but they aren’t dirt poor either.
[Reply]
Chief Pagan 01:51 PM 03-14-2020
Originally Posted by TLO:
Above 5% out of how many cases?
It remains be seen how many people end up getting the virus.

I believe a CDC official said 20% of the population might get the virus in a plausible bad case scenario.

There are around 80 million Americans between the age of 30 and 50. If 20% of that age group get the virus and only 1% need intensive care, that is 160,000 hospital beds.

There are only around a hundred thousand ICU beds in the US and it isn't like they are mostly sitting empty during normal times.

Hence the need to slow the spread.
[Reply]
Donger 01:54 PM 03-14-2020
Yes, wealthy people in China eat bushmeat.
[Reply]
sedated 01:54 PM 03-14-2020
Arguing about what other cultures halfway around the globe should do or believe is a giant waste of time.

But I guess we are all bored afterall
[Reply]
O.city 01:56 PM 03-14-2020
France getting hit hard now
[Reply]
Donger 01:56 PM 03-14-2020
Originally Posted by sedated:
Arguing about what other cultures halfway around the globe should do or believe is a giant waste of time.

No, it isn't. Again, eating bushmeat caused SARS in 2002. It very likely caused COVID-19.
[Reply]
DaFace 01:58 PM 03-14-2020
Originally Posted by sedated:

Agreed.
[Reply]
Page 246 of 3903
« First < 146196236242243244245246 2472482492502562963467461246 > Last »
Up