ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 246 of 386
« First < 146196236242243244245246 247248249250256296346 > Last »
Media Center>Game of Thrones Seasons 7-8
keg in kc 02:23 PM 05-24-2017
About to hit the 5000 post mark on the old thread, the first season 7 trailer today seems like the right time to start the final Game of Thones thread.

I'm going back to the original rules pre-2015. I don't think we need supervision or bannings. Just don't be a dick. Post anything you find online that hasn't aired yet inside of spoiler tags. That's pretty much it. I think we can all handle that...

For future us, 2015 thread is here: Link
[Reply]
Setsuna 07:51 PM 04-29-2019
Originally Posted by Chiefspants:
How the last three episodes are going to play out...

– (GRRM on Tolkein)
WTF GRRM is as retarded as they come. Orcs were created from torturing and twisting elves. They didn't procreate. They weren't an actual race Iluvatar made. Good lord. I'm glad he had nothing to do with Tolkein's works. He is a bonafide idiot.
[Reply]
WhiteWhale 07:52 PM 04-29-2019
Originally Posted by Bowser:
Agreed. Likely on orders from the Iron Bank.
I think they're loyal to the Targaryans.
[Reply]
Bowser 07:55 PM 04-29-2019
There have been excellent points made by those that felt the episode was lacking or underdelivered. I appreciate all the takes, but really, the hell with all of that, in spite of the ep. having way too clean of an ending. That was some of the most amazing hour and a half television we've ever seen. It's flawed, totally, but I still loved it.

And I sincerely hope that Miguel Sapochnik finds himself at the helm of a long running fantasy/sci-fi show after all of this.
[Reply]
Iconic 08:02 PM 04-29-2019
Definitely agree with Bowser. I'm not saying I hate the episode or that it's trash. It was worth every second and I don't think I've ever had a television show captivate me quite like it. But yeah I still do have some complaints. It's whatever. Still an amazing series and I'll cherish the remaining episodes.

It's going to be real bittersweet to see it come to an end.
[Reply]
Frazod 08:19 PM 04-29-2019
Can we at least all agree that the scene where Arya killed the Night King was bad ass?
[Reply]
Fish 08:21 PM 04-29-2019
I've thought about it a bit more, and read some explanations on reddit that made more sense. For the first 7 seasons of this show, it's not been your typical fantasy story of good vs. evil. Which for me is a big reason why it has felt so realistic even though we're talking about dragons and zombies. There's been little plot armor issues just to keep specific characters alive. There's been no saving the day against all odds. In fact, we've been conditioned for the opposite. During Ned's attack and execution, he was a pivotal character. We felt the feeling of dread during his beheading when you realized that nobody was going to save the day here, and his kids are going to have to watch this happen with no chance of a happy ending. No different than Rob Stark's Death. No different than the Red Wedding. When that began, you deeply hoped that somebody was going to bust out of the woodwork and help these characters we've come to love. Nope, they all are brutally murdered. When Hodor got overrun, again the hope of unrealistic avoidance of a main character succoming to death was inevitable. The Mountain vs. Oberyn. Nope. For 7 seasons, it's been pounded into our heads that nobody is above getting killed off for whatever reason. Actions have consequences regardless of who you were. This was GoT, and it was realistic battle where popular good guys and bad guys really died and new main characters were introduced.

But this episode completely spun that trend on its head. After spending silly amounts of time during the last episode to seemingly give many of these main characters some rounding out of their story arcs. Instead, we got an evil wight army that took out the entire Dothraki army in under 2 minutes, but then battled a collection of a dozen of the popular good guys who hold off that same wight army for the rest of the episode. We saw Jaime, Brienne, Tormund, Jon, Sam, Arya, Jorah, Pod, Theon, etc. get bumrushed by dozens of wights at a time, and then just slug through to impossibly survive when they realistically should not have. It just felt so weird and different from everything we've previously seen. It was still enjoyable for sure. But it felt like they really deviated from what made the series great to get to this point. They've got more to go, so who knows. But this just felt off for me.
[Reply]
DanBecky 08:27 PM 04-29-2019
Originally Posted by Chiefspants:
How the last three episodes are going to play out...

– (GRRM on Tolkein)
This is why I thoroughly enjoyed GRRM's storytelling. I love this sort of in depth look at politics and policies and the small council meetings. Now finish the damn books! :-)
[Reply]
chiefzilla1501 08:28 PM 04-29-2019
Originally Posted by Bowser:
Agreed. Likely on orders from the Iron Bank.
Agreed. There's an interesting theory about how Tywin purposefully didn't pay off his debts in order to gain leverage over the bank. The Banker was throwing shade at Cersei the whole time and she didn't pick up on it.

Also because the Golden Company wants to return from exile. They know Cersei has a losing hand.

The counter to Cersei is Sansa. She's practical and extremely resourceful.
[Reply]
chiefzilla1501 08:35 PM 04-29-2019
Theon charging at the night king was like Johnny running directly into daniel laruso's crane kick.
[Reply]
Frazod 08:43 PM 04-29-2019
Originally Posted by Fish:
I've thought about it a bit more, and read some explanations on reddit that made more sense. For the first 7 seasons of this show, it's not been your typical fantasy story of good vs. evil. Which for me is a big reason why it has felt so realistic even though we're talking about dragons and zombies. There's been little plot armor issues just to keep specific characters alive. There's been no saving the day against all odds. In fact, we've been conditioned for the opposite. During Ned's attack and execution, he was a pivotal character. We felt the feeling of dread during his beheading when you realized that nobody was going to save the day here, and his kids are going to have to watch this happen with no chance of a happy ending. No different than Rob Stark's Death. No different than the Red Wedding. When that began, you deeply hoped that somebody was going to bust out of the woodwork and help these characters we've come to love. Nope, they all are brutally murdered. When Hodor got overrun, again the hope of unrealistic avoidance of a main character succoming to death was inevitable. The Mountain vs. Oberyn. Nope. For 7 seasons, it's been pounded into our heads that nobody is above getting killed off for whatever reason. Actions have consequences regardless of who you were. This was GoT, and it was realistic battle where popular good guys and bad guys really died and new main characters were introduced.

But this episode completely spun that trend on its head. After spending silly amounts of time during the last episode to seemingly give many of these main characters some rounding out of their story arcs. Instead, we got an evil wight army that took out the entire Dothraki army in under 2 minutes, but then battled a collection of a dozen of the popular good guys who hold off that same wight army for the rest of the episode. We saw Jaime, Brienne, Tormund, Jon, Sam, Arya, Jorah, Pod, Theon, etc. get bumrushed by dozens of wights at a time, and then just slug through to impossibly survive when they realistically should not have. It just felt so weird and different from everything we've previously seen. It was still enjoyable for sure. But it felt like they really deviated from what made the series great to get to this point. They've got more to go, so who knows. But this just felt off for me.
It was a little different reading the books. Early on I realized that Ned was likely doomed, because his character is a carbon copy of Duke Leto from Dune - the noble house leader thrust into a dangerous political mess far beyond his ability to understand or fight. After that, I realized that POV chapter characters never died - at least (in the case of Jon and Catelyn, who in the books was resurrected by Beric) not permanently. Robb, for example, was always a secondary character in the books because he never had a POV chapter, and you always saw his actions through the eyes of somebody else.
[Reply]
FAX 08:44 PM 04-29-2019
I thought that Theon's frontal attack on the Night King was ... ballsy.

FAX
[Reply]
Sassy Squatch 08:45 PM 04-29-2019
Originally Posted by Frazod:
Can we at least all agree that the scene where Arya killed the Night King was bad and sucked ass?
I agree
[Reply]
Frazod 08:45 PM 04-29-2019
Originally Posted by Superturtle:
I agree
:-)
[Reply]
Sassy Squatch 08:47 PM 04-29-2019
Originally Posted by Frazod:
:-)
:-) Naw, it was pretty awesome.
[Reply]
MagicHef 08:55 PM 04-29-2019
My favorite part was when Dany stupidly kept her dragon on the ground for way longer than necessary so we could have more action.
[Reply]
Page 246 of 386
« First < 146196236242243244245246 247248249250256296346 > Last »
Up