ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 240 of 324
« First < 140190230236237238239240 241242243244250290 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Chiefs hire Steve Spagnuolo as new defensive coordinator
TLO 04:33 PM 01-24-2019

The #Chiefs are hiring Steve Spagnuolo as their new defensive coordinator, sources say. The former #Giants DC and interim HC/#Rams HC began his NFL coaching career as an #Eagles assistant under Andy Reid. Now rejoins Big Red in KC.

— Mike Garafolo (@MikeGarafolo) January 24, 2019

[Reply]
O.city 08:38 AM 10-19-2022
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
The first attempt wasn't a rebuild - it was a re-set. It was older veterans who could help them win now. And frankly, it didn't really work - Hitchens wasn't good and Frank Clark ****ing Sucks.

We're in year 2 of a defensive rebuild. The problem is that an offensive rebuild isn't far into the future. But I think we still have one more year where we can attack the trenches offensively and defensively.

But I'm not the guy to really have this conversation with as I'd have drafted at least 3 DL last year; I thought we needed at least 2 DEs and a DT. But they went a different direction...

It is what it is. Finite resources and what not...
The problem with just blasting away at the defense is the rest of the shit falls apart.

We're also getting to the point where the things we need to rebuild aren't the easiest places to find and are gonna be pricey.

So we get back to stars and scrubs stuff and one might make the argument that while packing the team with 2 or 3 solid WR's vs a HOF'er is the way to go, it's not really easy to do.

Same with pass rushers etc.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 08:39 AM 10-19-2022
Man - this is a bizarre week to go in on Spags.

Held a dynamic offense to 24 points while missing 5 key contributors. Got the ball back to the offense on multiple occasions with a chance to extend the league or ice the game.

This is a team that's put immense capital into its offense and is clearly an offense first squad. The defense did enough to win - the offense didn't.

Like I said folks, we're not gonna beat teams 20-17. It's just not a reasonable expectation. Think of this as slow pitch softball vs. MLB. You ain't winning a game 3-2 in slow pitch. If you don't score 14+, you don't deserve to win the game.

This ain't the week to ride Spags ass. The defense did its job.
[Reply]
O.city 08:42 AM 10-19-2022

Held a dynamic offense to 24 points while missing 5 key contributors. Got the ball back to the offense on multiple occasions with a chance to extend the league or ice the game.

This is a team that's put immense capital into its offense and is clearly an offense first squad. The defense did enough to win - the offense didn't.

Like I said folks, we're not gonna beat teams 20-17. It's just not a reasonable expectation. Think of this as slow pitch softball vs. MLB. You ain't winning a game 3-2 in slow pitch. If you don't score 14+, you don't deserve to win the game.

Oh, I agree. The offense shit it's pants.

But I'm speaking more in generalities. I don't really fault Spags for it either. They just don't have the horses up front.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 08:42 AM 10-19-2022
Originally Posted by O.city:
The problem with just blasting away at the defense is the rest of the shit falls apart.

We're also getting to the point where the things we need to rebuild aren't the easiest places to find and are gonna be pricey.

So we get back to stars and scrubs stuff and one might make the argument that while packing the team with 2 or 3 solid WR's vs a HOF'er is the way to go, it's not really easy to do.

Same with pass rushers etc.
It ain't supposed to be easy - the NFL drew it up this way.

That's the point I've tried to make a hundred times over - Brett Veach has the Madden sliders on Rookie his first 2 years here. Cost controlled QB, a bunch of elite players on cheap contracts at key positions. A clean cap.

The last 18 months and the next 18 months will say more about Brett Veach as a GM than anything else this team has ever accomplished. Things will never be as easy for him as they were in 2019/2020 again.

Adjust your expectations accordingly.
[Reply]
O.city 08:43 AM 10-19-2022
It ain't supposed to be easy - the NFL drew it up this way.

That's the point I've tried to make a hundred times over - Brett Veach has the Madden sliders on Rookie his first 2 years here. Cost controlled QB, a bunch of elite players on cheap contracts at key positions. A clean cap.

The last 18 months and the next 18 months will say more about Brett Veach as a GM than anything else this team has ever accomplished. Things will never be as easy for him as they were in 2019/2020 again.

Adjust your expectations accordingly.
Again, very true.

CP won't like it, but could you also say thru 4 years to only have 1 SB it's been a bit of a letdown?
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 08:46 AM 10-19-2022
Again, very true.

CP won't like it, but could you also say thru 4 years to only have 1 SB it's been a bit of a letdown?
I said it after the AFCCG. Yeah - it is a little bit.

4 times we hosted the AFCCG; we won 2 of them and only a single championship. That's essentially a series of coin-flip scenarios.

The issue is that it feels a lot like my golf game; there's not a single problem that messed it up. 2018 was a shit defense and a single penalty. 2020 was a catastrophic slate of injuries to the OL. 2021 was the first inkling we've seen of Mahomes mortality.

But yeah - I think we'll look back on this time historically and say "man, we left a little meat on those bones..."
[Reply]
The Franchise 08:47 AM 10-19-2022
Again, very true.

Winning a championship in four years is a letdown? The fucking Patriots have warped people's minds. Jesus Christ.
[Reply]
htismaqe 08:47 AM 10-19-2022
Again, very true.

50 fucking years without a Super Bowl appearance. One AFCCG game appearance 30 years ago.

A letdown? Fuck, them going to two SB's and winning one is a fucking dream come true.

GTFO.
[Reply]
BleedingRed 08:49 AM 10-19-2022

The problem isn't that his defense doesn't help, the problem his his defense is almost NEVER the reason we win. The defense has not carried us in a LONG LONG time. And not only that, situationally.... Does anyone trust Spags play calling when it comes to end of games?
[Reply]
htismaqe 08:50 AM 10-19-2022
Originally Posted by BleedingRed:
The problem isn't that his defense doesn't help, the problem his his defense is almost NEVER the reason we win. The defense has not carried us in a LONG LONG time. And not only that, situationally.... Does anyone trust Spags play calling when it comes to end of games?
The defense won the LA game and it was only 3 weeks ago. JFC.
[Reply]
Hammock Parties 08:54 AM 10-19-2022
The problem isn't that his defense doesn't help, the problem his his defense is almost NEVER the reason we win. The defense has not carried us in a LONG LONG time.
did you miss the raiders game?

the chargers game?

spags defense carrying us last year in wins over new york, green bay, dallas, and denver TWICE?

chiefs have faced murray, herbert, brady, carr, allen...once we face some average QBs and get healthy the defense will improve like it did last year
[Reply]
O.city 08:56 AM 10-19-2022
Originally Posted by The Franchise:
Winning a championship in four years is a letdown? The ****ing Patriots have warped people's minds. Jesus Christ.
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
50 ****ing years without a Super Bowl appearance. One AFCCG game appearance 30 years ago.

A letdown? ****, them going to two SB's and winning one is a ****ing dream come true.

GTFO.
Hosting 4 straight AFC champ games and only having 1 SB win in hindsight...yeah, I think so.

Now don't get me wrong, this is all gravy post SB win for me. None of this regular season stuff matters anymore to me so it's just time killing fodder.

But man.
[Reply]
htismaqe 09:00 AM 10-19-2022
Hosting 4 straight AFC champ games and only having 1 SB win in hindsight...yeah, I think so.

Now don't get me wrong, this is all gravy post SB win for me. None of this regular season stuff matters anymore to me so it's just time killing fodder.

But man.
Considering that just 5 or 6 years ago, I was convinced I would never see the Chiefs play in a conference championship before I died, no I don't think so.

4 straight AFCCG is a feat in and of itself. The fact they've only won 2 of them means nothing to me in the grand scheme of things. If they had not won a Super Bowl at all, then maybe. But they've exceeded 50 years of expectations and I will never question that.
[Reply]
The Franchise 09:01 AM 10-19-2022
Name me a defense that's doing that consistently right now.
[Reply]
htismaqe 09:02 AM 10-19-2022
Originally Posted by The Franchise:
Name me a defense that's doing that consistently right now.
Denver. :-)
[Reply]
Page 240 of 324
« First < 140190230236237238239240 241242243244250290 > Last »
Up