ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 24 of 57
« First < 142021222324 2526272834 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Let's talk about the Ravens
TLO 05:50 PM 09-20-2020
Quite possibly a preview of the AFC Championship game.

Hopefully we can get healthy by Sunday
[Reply]
staylor26 01:36 PM 09-22-2020
Originally Posted by RunKC:
I’m not pimping Wormley to be anything more than a run stuffer (a key part of that 2019 Ravens run D you’re sucking off), but Wolfe is an old brokedick at this point. He just gives you significantly more of a pass rush than a guy like Wormley, but he’s not a better run stuffer. We’re talking about run defense here specifically.

Why do you think Derek Wolfe is still a really good player? He’s not. There’s a reason the Broncos let him walk.
[Reply]
St. Patty's Fire 01:38 PM 09-22-2020
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
Nothing he said refutes my post.

The Chiefs were in a 3-deep zone. The slot WR got separation in his zone and Fenton bit up instead of staying in his zone.

EDIT: Nevermind. Later in the analysis he said the DB is definitely trying to hedge. So he absolutely agrees with me.
I could have sworn he said the DB did what he could and it’s not really on him but I guess I wasn’t paying enough attention
[Reply]
htismaqe 01:41 PM 09-22-2020
Originally Posted by St. Patty's Fire:
I could have sworn he said the DB did what he could and it’s not really on him but I guess I wasn’t paying enough attention
That 4 vert set is designed to create 2-on-1 situations, as he described. As soon as the underneath WR got behind the zone, Fenton bit up leaving that back 3rd open.

Unfortunately, it was really a no-win situation. If Fenton stayed back, the slot WR probably could have scored (Niemann might have been able to make a play on that pass bu who knows).

The problem with zone defense is you have to do your job and trust the other guys to do theirs. Fenton in this instance tried to cover for someone else and left his zone vacant, so he takes the blame.

Like I said, they might have scored anyway but then it's on someone other than Fenton.
[Reply]
htismaqe 01:43 PM 09-22-2020
Derek Wolfe is not a top-tier player anymore. Arguably, he really never was.
[Reply]
pugsnotdrugs19 01:46 PM 09-22-2020
That’s a no man’s land deal for Fenton — corners are taught to split the difference in that situation, if not lean a little inside because it’s the easier throw.

If you’ve got multiple verticals coming at a cover 3 zone, it puts the deep 1/3 defenders in major binds.
[Reply]
staylor26 01:46 PM 09-22-2020
RunKC seems to think he’s still in his prime, even though he was pretty much non-existent the last couple years when we played Denver.

Him and Campbell are better overall players than what they had there last year because of their pass rush (should’ve specified that when I was talking Wormley vs. Wolfe initially), but this idea that their top 5 run D got so much better after they lost Wormley and Pierce, just simply isn’t true. The difference is in the pass rush, not the run defense. They actually probably lost a little bit of run D in favor of pass rush.

Campbell is 34 and Wolfe might “only” be 30, but his body has taken an absolute beating throughout his career.
[Reply]
htismaqe 01:47 PM 09-22-2020
Originally Posted by pugsnotdrugs19:
That’s a no man’s land deal for Fenton — corners are taught to split the difference in that situation, if not lean a little inside because it’s the easier throw.

If you’ve got multiple verticals coming at a cover 3 zone, it puts the deep 1/3 defenders in major binds.
Correct. The whole offensive play is designed to make guys split the difference. As O'Sullivan said, it creates 2on1 matchups.
[Reply]
RunKC 02:12 PM 09-22-2020
He’s not and has never been. His peak was in 2015 as a very good support pass rusher which is what the Ravens signed him to do.

Wolfe is an upgrade over Wormley. When he’s heathy (*when) he’s a solid run defender and nice supporting pass rusher. Make no mistake they got Campbell and Wolfe for Pat. They knew they didn’t have an interior rush worth a damn.

So far that duo has done pretty well for them. Campbell has a sack, 3 QB hits, 3 3 passes defended and 1 TFL and Wolfe has 2 QB hits.

We’ll see how they do this weekend. I’m excited for Osemele vs Campbell. That will be an awesome battle.
[Reply]
staylor26 02:16 PM 09-22-2020
You went from talking about run defense to pass rush.

We were talking about run defense. Campbell and Wolfe aren’t a significant upgrade in terms of run defens. Wormley, Pierce, and Williams gave them 3 run stuffers, which is why they were top 5 last year in run defense.

Their interior pass rush was upgraded, yes. That has nothing to do with the run defense being upgraded.
[Reply]
Megatron96 02:24 PM 09-22-2020
Not that it really matters, but it looked like Fenton was kind of left twisting in the wind there. If he stays wide and deep, that slot receiver was going to be open, though the throw would have to be pretty good. If he comes inside, that outside receiver is also going to be open, but again not the easiest throw. In the milliseconds he had to make a decision, he decided to come inside. And I can't say that I would've done any different against a rookie QB. I mean, I'd like to think I'd have stayed wide, but I don't know. I think maybe Fenton decided "this rookie QB is going to throw the ball to the slot because Rookie QBs do that most of the time," and he was wrong this time.
[Reply]
RunKC 02:34 PM 09-22-2020
Originally Posted by staylor26:
You went from talking about run defense to pass rush.

We were talking about run defense. Campbell and Wolfe aren’t a significant upgrade in terms of run defens. Wormley, Pierce, and Williams gave them 3 run stuffers, which is why they were top 5 last year in run defense.

Their interior pass rush was upgraded, yes. That has nothing to do with the run defense being upgraded.
Campbell is a really good all around player. Wolfe is a solid run defender, especially next to Campbell.

No offense but DeCosta is an elite GM. It says a lot about Wormley that they willingly traded him to their biggest rival. That’s what they thought of him.

I’m taking DeCosta’s opinion over yours
[Reply]
MAHOMO 4 LIFE! 02:39 PM 09-22-2020

The Ravens held OBJ to 22 yards in Week 1 and Will Fuller to 0 targets in Week 2. Next up: Tyreek Hill

Should be an outstanding battle on Monday Night Football

— Mike Clay (@MikeClayNFL) September 22, 2020

[Reply]
staylor26 02:41 PM 09-22-2020
Originally Posted by RunKC:
Campbell is a really good all around player. Wolfe is a solid run defender, especially next to Campbell.

No offense but DeCosta is an elite GM. It says a lot about Wormley that they willingly traded him to their biggest rival. That’s what they thought of him.

I’m taking DeCosta’s opinion over yours
Lol wut?

DeCosta’s opinion over mine? I fully understand why the Ravens chose to upgrade their interior pass rush. I’m agreeing that they upgraded there and they obviously needed to.

But again, I’m talking specifically about run defense because that’s what we were talking about from the beginning.

Just because the Ravens traded Wormley to the Steelers and signed Wolfe doesn’t mean that they upgraded their run defense. Same with Pierce/Campbell. That’s not even necessarily DeCosta’s “opinion” and to say that is baseless. It’s pretty obvious those moves were about pass rush like I said.
[Reply]
htismaqe 02:44 PM 09-22-2020
Originally Posted by MAHOMO 4 LIFE!:
Sounds great in theory but if you take out Reek, you're gonna get burned by Watkins and Kelce.

The Texans and Browns aren't even close to the Chiefs.
[Reply]
MAHOMO 4 LIFE! 02:44 PM 09-22-2020
Sounds great in theory but if you take out Reek, you're gonna get burned by Watkins and Kelce.

The Texans and Browns aren't even close to the Chiefs.
Is Watkins even gonna play?
[Reply]
Page 24 of 57
« First < 142021222324 2526272834 > Last »
Up