ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 236 of 3903
« First < 136186226232233234235236 2372382392402462863367361236 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
suzzer99 01:56 AM 03-14-2020
The Man Who Saw the Pandemic Coming

Originally Posted by :
Are spillover events more common now than 50 years ago?

Yes. EcoHealth Alliance, an NGO, and others, looked at all reported outbreaks since 1940. They came to a fairly solid conclusion that we’re looking at an elevation of spillover events two to three times more than what we saw 40 years earlier. That continues to increase, driven by the huge increase in the human population and our expansion into wildlife areas. The single biggest predictor of spillover events is land-use change—more land going to agriculture and more specifically to livestock production.
Originally Posted by :
Are there any signs that this coronavirus will kill itself?

This one has a lower pathogenicity. The lower its virulence, the more likely it’ll become part of an endemic, part of a seasonal event. That’s one of the big things that’s going to be a worry. If it does go quiet over the summer months, then the question’s going to be, “Is it still infecting people?” We could be walking around in the middle of summer with influenza viruses, but they’re not active. They’ve just gone quiet. When the right ecology comes into play, it starts getting cold, and damp, then it starts replicating like crazy. If it’s able to park itself, and not kill its host over the summer months, then we’ve got a virus that has all the telltale signatures of establishing itself as part of our normative landscape, much to our detriment.
Originally Posted by :
So what will it take to make people aware of the global threat of zoonotic diseases?

There’s nothing like a serial assault to heighten your awareness, and that’s what we’re looking at. We’re on a cycle of about every three years of getting something like this. And each time that happens, there’s more awareness that these investments need to be made and sustained. The problem is getting these monies as part of the annual regular non-emergency funding.
Ugh
[Reply]
jd1020 02:08 AM 03-14-2020
Originally Posted by suzzer99:
Ugh
That middle quote is what worries me the most. I fully expect it to calm down simply because we are moving into summer and thats how typical viral infections work. Then I can only hope the US administration doesn't go "see I told you it would just disappear like a miracle" and act as if it never happened... then winter comes back around and shit really hits the fan.
[Reply]
dirk digler 04:36 AM 03-14-2020
Well **** me. Clinton has 3 cases with 1 known so far. Research in KC has 1 known and 2 presumptive.

Our hospital is screwed probably because they are a bunch of idiots. I would only go there if I was dying..maybe

Originally Posted by :
Golden Valley Memorial Hospital is now under diversion for emergency services and has been advised not to admit any new patients.

[Reply]
OrtonsPiercedTaint 06:25 AM 03-14-2020
I wipe my ass of the whole thing
[Reply]
KCUnited 06:49 AM 03-14-2020
Originally Posted by KChiefs1:
Fantastic interview by Joe Rogan.

https://youtu.be/E3URhJx0NSw
Rogan was hoping hard for the sauna cure
[Reply]
'Hamas' Jenkins 07:29 AM 03-14-2020
Originally Posted by dirk digler:
Well **** me. Clinton has 3 cases with 1 known so far. Research in KC has 1 known and 2 presumptive.

Our hospital is screwed probably because they are a bunch of idiots. I would only go there if I was dying..maybe
Where'd you get that info?
[Reply]
F150 07:29 AM 03-14-2020

[Reply]
F150 07:32 AM 03-14-2020

https://www.ky3.com/content/news/Fou...1.html?ref=491

Seems authentic
[Reply]
dirk digler 08:06 AM 03-14-2020
Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins:
Where'd you get that info?
F150 posted the link

People are ****ing pissed here because they never said shit and we have a large elderly population. How do you not say anything if you are told not to take any new patients?
[Reply]
MIAdragon 08:11 AM 03-14-2020
Originally Posted by BigRedChief:
Sure not building one for public use but don’t fool yourself if you don’t think the government isn’t tracking this closely.
[Reply]
lawrenceRaider 08:12 AM 03-14-2020
Originally Posted by Chief Pagan:
There is a huge misconception about how this works.

Yes, children under the age of 15 or so do appear to be fine without treatment.

But once you get over 20 and even more so after 30, a significant percentage will develop serious pneumonia and will die without intensive medical treatment that is often lasting up to 3 weeks.

However, those under 50 that get intensive treatment usually make good recovery.

In both Wuhan and now in Italy the death rate for the younger patients went up as hospitals were overwhelmed.

So the younger population will help a lot, no doubt about it. But there are many millions living in slums and not all of them are under 20. Without the ICU care I think they are likely to have a much higher death rate than has been seen so far.

And they aren't overweight but many are malnourished and are already suffering from other chronic diseases.
Links for your assertions here? It doesn't match anything I've read across many media sources.
[Reply]
Chiefspants 08:32 AM 03-14-2020
Originally Posted by suzzer99:
Fuck. It just occurred to me we may lose a whole year of Mahomes to this shit.
Banners fly forever. Thank God for that comeback.
[Reply]
'Hamas' Jenkins 08:34 AM 03-14-2020
F150 posted the link and my daughter is an ICU nurse at Research.

People are fucking pissed here because they never said shit and we have a large elderly population. How do you not say anything if you are told not to take any new patients?
If your daughter is an ICU nurse I hope that's not how you found that info out. I'm not trying to be a dick, but releasing that info through improper channels can cost people their jobs and licenses.
[Reply]
Baby Lee 08:38 AM 03-14-2020
The soap stuff is simple and intuitive, but does anyone know if there is any additional research or data regarding the efficacy of different types of soaps?
For instance, Dawn is fairly superior in lipid breakdown [Dawn cuts grease!!], particularly compared to a mild beauty soap like Dove. Or some of your more 'basic' soaps like Ivory [99.44% pure] have a strong lye component, which might be superior in eradicating the live virus.

Or is the CW just that any level of emulsification and sudsing carryaway is sufficient? Even like say 'beauty bars' that are like 1/2 cocoa butter?
[Reply]
KCUnited 08:40 AM 03-14-2020

[Reply]
Page 236 of 3903
« First < 136186226232233234235236 2372382392402462863367361236 > Last »
Up