ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 225 of 319
« First < 125175215221222223224225 226227228229235275 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Veach's '21 Offseason Plan to Keep Us Thriving: Let's speculate
Dante84 10:03 AM 02-08-2021
In order to prevent us wasting precious years of Patrick Mahomes' career, Veach needs to work some magic this offseason. What's your advice for him?
[Reply]
MahomesMagic 12:11 PM 03-17-2021
Whatever we do, we are not waiting. The plan is to win the Superbowl this year and the next.
[Reply]
O.city 12:11 PM 03-17-2021
Originally Posted by chiefforlife:
OK but thats easy to say. Realistically, who are you thinking about?

Tunsil? Not avaiable first off and he would require a lot more than 31.

Dillard? Not known to be available and we dont know if he can really be a LT. Or what the compensation would be? Probably more than 31.

I get the concerns but if you really think about what is possible. I keep coming back to Brown.
Dont' know til they ask.

I'd call the Saints about Armstead. I'd call the Falcons about Matthews. See what you can drum up.
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 12:13 PM 03-17-2021
Originally Posted by O.city:
I'm not taking a developmental LT in the 2nd and sitting him. Odds are he's not gonna turn into the guy at LT.
Where do you rate swing tackle in terms of importance for the year? Because that guy you're drafting in round 2 or 3 to develop for a year would at worst slot into that role (or may just reserve LT if they bring back Remmers for depth).
[Reply]
htismaqe 12:14 PM 03-17-2021
Not really. Who was the last bust tackle that went early?
Not counting the last couple of years (because there isn't a large enough sample size yet), 2016 through 2018 was pretty good for tackles.

But then you have 2015, where the top 3 tackles are all guards now and one of them has bounced between 3 different teams.

2014's #2 overall pick has been with 4 different teams and can't stick anywhere.

Then you have 2013 where the #2 overall pick is out of the league and the #11 overall pick has bounced between 4 different teams.

In other words, there were little to no big misses between 2016 and 2018. But from 2013 to 2016 there was only ONE good tackle in the entire bunch.
[Reply]
chiefforlife 12:14 PM 03-17-2021
Dont' know til they ask.

I'd call the Saints about Armstead. I'd call the Falcons about Matthews. See what you can drum up.
Yeah I get that and Veach is probably doing that but lets say they either say no or ask for way to much?

Given the options that we KNOW are out there, I think this may be the best one. Thats all Im saying.
[Reply]
Pants 12:14 PM 03-17-2021
I'm perfectly fine with Reiff. He's not going to be that much of a downgrade from Fish. We also save draft capital that way.
[Reply]
O.city 12:14 PM 03-17-2021
Originally Posted by duncan_idaho:
Where do you rate swing tackle in terms of importance for the year? Because that guy you're drafting in round 2 or 3 to develop for a year would at worst slot into that role (or may just reserve LT if they bring back Remmers for depth).
Not very high. I'd sign some vet like Remmers and use that draft pick on a weapon or a DL or something.

I'm all about shaping up the OL, but there's a whole other side of the ball too.
[Reply]
htismaqe 12:15 PM 03-17-2021
Yeah I get that and Veach is probably doing that but lets say they either say no or ask for way to much?

Given the options that we KNOW are out there, I think this may be the best one. Thats all Im saying.
The Ravens have confirmed they want a top 40 pick.

Brown reportedly wants to be a LT and wants to be paid like one.

How is that even an option, let alone the best one?
[Reply]
Chris Meck 12:16 PM 03-17-2021
OK but thats easy to say. Realistically, who are you thinking about?

Tunsil? Not avaiable first off and he would require a lot more than 31.

Dillard? Not known to be available and we dont know if he can really be a LT. Or what the compensation would be? Probably more than 31.

I get the concerns but if you really think about what is possible. I keep coming back to Brown.
Brown's not a good fit, would require draft capital, likely a new contract, AND The Ravens would almost certainly not trade him to the team they consider their kryptonite and biggest rival. This last bit is enough by itself to rule out Brown, in all honesty. Ravens just flat wouldn't do that even if we wanted to.

Tunsil will be too much in draft resources.

Dillard is a possibility if Veach likes him, and he won't cost more than a #31. He was a #22 pick, had a rough rookie year at RT and missed year two with a torn bicep. He might cost you #63, and I think that's a reasonable risk IF Veach likes him. He's had a couple of years of NFL coaching and conditioning at least.

More likely I think is a Reiff/Okung type on a short deal and a Radunz/Little type draftee.

Your short term is covered, you're working towards the future, and you haven't screwed your cap so you can still look to fill other weak spots.
[Reply]
O.city 12:17 PM 03-17-2021
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
Not counting the last couple of years (because there isn't a large enough sample size yet), 2016 through 2018 was pretty good for tackles.

But then you have 2015, where the top 3 tackles are all guards now and one of them has bounced between 3 different teams.

2014's #2 overall pick has been with 4 different teams and can't stick anywhere.

Then you have 2013 where the #2 overall pick is out of the league and the #11 overall pick has bounced between 4 different teams.

In other words, there were little to no big misses between 2016 and 2018. But from 2013 to 2016 there was only ONE good tackle in the entire bunch.
I'd say that speaks to the fact teams have gotten better at figuring out who's worth picking up there though.

Every position will have busts and guys that don't pan out. But my odds are higher they don't the higher I pick and I value LT as the 2nd most important position so I'm gonna increase my odds best I can.

Now maybe there isn't one they think is worth going up for. Thats fine. But at some point, they're gonna have to invest some resources there (they tried with Williams, I doubt they stop) because it's just too important.
[Reply]
O.city 12:19 PM 03-17-2021
The smart move is probably to go with as many "good" players as you can and see what sticks instead of risking the biscuit on an elite player though.

But I'm just an idiot dentist on a football message board, smart moves don't register with me.
[Reply]
htismaqe 12:20 PM 03-17-2021
I'd say that speaks to the fact teams have gotten better at figuring out who's worth picking up there though.

Every position will have busts and guys that don't pan out. But my odds are higher they don't the higher I pick and I value LT as the 2nd most important position so I'm gonna increase my odds best I can.

Now maybe there isn't one they think is worth going up for. Thats fine. But at some point, they're gonna have to invest some resources there (they tried with Williams, I doubt they stop) because it's just too important.
How is trading multiple 1st's for one guy increased odds over keeping your 1st's and trying again next year?
[Reply]
chiefforlife 12:20 PM 03-17-2021
The Ravens have confirmed they want a top 40 pick.

Brown reportedly wants to be a LT and wants to be paid like one.

How is that even an option, let alone the best one?
Well we want him to be a LT. If you are a LT you want to be paid like one.
We can offer pick 31, in the top 40, yes?

He played LT last year and from what I can tell performed quite well. Thats already ahead of any LT we could take at 31. He is young and worth a late first rounder.

I guess I dont get the hate for this guy?
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 12:21 PM 03-17-2021
Not very high. I'd sign some vet like Remmers and use that draft pick on a weapon or a DL or something.

I'm all about shaping up the OL, but there's a whole other side of the ball too.
Yeah, I get it. In that case I think you just roll with Reiff (give him 2 years, maybe 3 if necessary) or Villanueva and work on a different long-term solution next offseason.

This T draft is SO deep, though. It's deep enough that guys like Little and Hudson look like round 3 guys (going off the mock draft database consensus big board). It would be hard to pass up the opportunity to get real value much later than normal. Especially since it's a long-term need.
[Reply]
O.city 12:21 PM 03-17-2021
How is trading multiple 1st's for one guy increased odds over keeping your 1st's and trying again next year?
I can spend 2 1's and get a blue chip prospect higher in the draft than sitting at the end of the first round and taking a developmental guy.
[Reply]
Page 225 of 319
« First < 125175215221222223224225 226227228229235275 > Last »
Up