ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 221 of 727
« First < 121171211217218219220221 222223224225231271321721 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>New Conference re-alignment thread
Saulbadguy 07:57 AM 09-12-2011
The old one has AIDS.

Anyways, Chip Brown from Orangebloods.com reports OU may apply to the Pac-12 by the end of the month.

Oklahoma will apply for membership to the Pac-12 before the end of the month, and Oklahoma State is expected to follow suit, a source close to OU's administration told Orangebloods.com.

Even though Pac-12 commissioner Larry Scott said Friday the Pac-12 was not interested in expansion at this time, OU's board of regents is fed up with the instability in the Big 12, the source said.

The OU board of regents will meet within two weeks to formalize plans to apply for membership to the Pac-12, the source said.

Messages left Sunday night with OU athletic director Joe Castiglione and Oklahoma State athletic director Mike Holder were not immediately returned.

If OU follows through with what appears to be a unanimous sentiment on the seven-member Oklahoma board of regents to leave the Big 12, realignment in college athletics could be heating back up. OU's application would be matched by an application from Oklahoma State, the source said, even though OSU president Burns Hargis and mega-booster Boone Pickens both voiced their support for the Big 12 last Thursday.

There is differing sentiment about if the Pac-12 presidents and chancellors are ready to expand again after bringing in Colorado and Utah last year and landing $3 billion TV contracts from Fox and ESPN. Colorado president Bruce Benson told reporters last week CU would be opposed to any expansion that might bring about east and west divisions in the Pac-12.

Currently, there are north and south divisions in the Pac-12. If OU and OSU were to join, Larry Scott would have to get creative.

Scott's orginal plan last summer was to bring in Colorado, Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech, Oklahoma and Oklahoma State and put them in an eastern division with Arizona and Arizona State. The old Pac-8 schools (USC, UCLA, Cal, Stanford, Oregon, Oregon State, Washington and Washington State) were to be in the west division.

Colorado made the move in June 2010, but when Texas A&M was not on board to go west, the Big 12 came back together with the help of its television partners (ABC/ESPN and Fox).

If Oklahoma and Oklahoma State were accepted into the Pac-12, there would undoubtedly be a hope by Larry Scott that Texas would join the league. But Texas sources have indicated UT is determined to hang onto the Longhorn Network, which would not be permissible in the Pac-12 in its current form.

Texas sources continue to indicate to Orangebloods.com that if the Big 12 falls apart, the Longhorns would consider "all options."

Big 12 commissioner Dan Beebe held an emergency conference call 10 days ago with league presidents excluding Oklahoma, Texas and Texas A&M and asked the other league presidents to "work on Texas" because Beebe didn't think the Pac-12 would take Oklahoma without Texas.

Now, it appears OU is willing to take its chances with the Pac-12 with or without Texas.

There seemed to be a temporary pause in any possible shifting of the college athletics' landscape when Baylor led a charge to tie up Texas A&M's move to the Southeastern Conference in legal red tape. BU refused to waive its right to sue the SEC over A&M's departure from the Big 12, and the SEC said it would not admit Texas A&M until it had been cleared of any potential lawsuits.

Baylor, Kansas and Iowa State have indicated they will not waive their right to sue the SEC.

It's unclear if an application by OU to the Pac-12 would draw the same threats of litigation against the Pac-12 from those Big 12 schools.

Stay tuned.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 03:30 PM 10-05-2011
Originally Posted by Stewie:
Ya know, if MU leaves, the big loser in all of this is KCMO and Jackson County. That's million$ in revenue between the b-ball tourney and the game at Arrowhead. I guess that loss is just transferred to the MU athletic department. Good for them.
hahaha!

Now that is just rich.

The scared shitless beakers are really pulling out all the stops now. Are you going to start posting pictures of kittens with sad faces now?

"If not for Kansas City - do it for this kitten"

Really, truly, incredibly fucking pathetic.
[Reply]
HemiEd 03:30 PM 10-05-2011
Originally Posted by DeezNutz:
And I would love to turn back the clock on this whole bullshit.
We can certainly agree on that.

Can you agree that there is responsibility of each team to the conference and the other institutions in the conference? That they all depend on each other for the common good, thus the contract?
[Reply]
talastan 03:32 PM 10-05-2011
Originally Posted by HemiEd:
They are an improving program, with a football team.
Missouri State is basically like KU to an extent. Great BBall school, but terrible football. Although I will say they've had a couple of guys get drafted into the pros. :-)
[Reply]
|Zach| 03:33 PM 10-05-2011
There is no reason Missouri St. shouldn't have success at that level in football. Pretty ridiculous. Big school...within reach of KC, STL, Tulsa...Springfield has talented kids as well.
[Reply]
Stewie 03:34 PM 10-05-2011
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
hahaha!

Now that is just rich.

The scared shitless beakers are really pulling out all the stops now. Are you going to start posting pictures of kittens with sad faces now?

Really, truly, incredibly fucking pathetic.
I live in Kansas. I don't give a shit about KCMO or Jackson County. I have nothing invested in that piece of shit. In fact, I think it's hilarious that Jackson County MU fans can't wait to give someone money that should be theirs.
[Reply]
ChiefsCountry 03:34 PM 10-05-2011
Originally Posted by talastan:
That would be somewhat hilarious if the Big XII extends an offer to MSU. I live here in Springfield and I'll tell you that Missouri State would get killed against any Division I school. Check out their game against Oregon a couple of weeks ago for an example.
We were beating Oregon after the first drive of the game. :-)
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 03:34 PM 10-05-2011
We can certainly agree on that.

Can you agree that there is responsibility of each team to the conference and the other institutions in the conference? That they all depend on each other for the common good, thus the contract?
There's no honor among thieves.

In a league where the central power brokers set the system up in a manner that pretty much disregarded the welfare of 1/2 the league, then refused to bow when the league was starting to spiral apart - well I'd say the bonds of trust never truly existed.

You could argue that the old Big 8 schools had that sort of 'social contract' amongst themselves...until NE and OU also pissed on the other 6 during the formation of the XII.

I admitted I was jealous of NE when they got to get out of dodge and now I'm ecstatic that MU looks to be doing the same. This conference has inmates more than it has roommates, let alone friends. Sorry, I'll take my chances elsewhere.
[Reply]
Bearcat 03:34 PM 10-05-2011
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
hahaha!

Now that is just rich.

People have been saying it for months regarding the Big 12... it's a big loss for KC. It's not that hard to understand. :-)
[Reply]
HemiEd 03:35 PM 10-05-2011
Missouri State is basically like KU to an extent. Great BBall school, but terrible football. Although I will say they've had a couple of guys get drafted into the pros. :-)
Wow, I am not sure I would go that far, but ok.

WSU would compare to them in BB, and WSU had a couple guys get into the NFL. Bill Parcells came from WSU, along with Jumpy Gaethers.
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 03:36 PM 10-05-2011
Both also hired Terry Allen to be their football coach...
[Reply]
talastan 03:36 PM 10-05-2011
Originally Posted by |Zach|:
There is no reason Missouri St. shouldn't have success at that level in football. Pretty ridiculous. Big school...within reach of KC, STL, Tulsa...Springfield has talented kids as well.
Except that they don't stay here in Springfield when they can get better scholarships to better schools. Dorial Green-Beckham is one of the main reasons I'd love to see Mizzou in the SEC. With MU in the SEC it might be the tipping point in keeping him here in Missouri! :-) Primetime exposure and he'll get to play close to home.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 03:36 PM 10-05-2011
I live in Kansas. I don't give a shit about KCMO or Jackson County. I have nothing invested in that piece of shit. In fact, I think it's hilarious that Jackson County MU fans can't wait to give someone money that should be theirs.
So using the Kubler-Ross model - would this fall under 'bargaining'?

I suppose it could be 'acceptance', but it doesn't seem sincere enough.

Or maybe it's just more ass-hurt beakerisms and thus we're still stuck in the 'anger' stage of the whole thing.

Or maybe you've just exposed yourself as a D-bag. Yeah, that's probably it.
[Reply]
Pants 03:37 PM 10-05-2011
Uhh, why are the beakers scared? Is Texas or OU leaving?
[Reply]
talastan 03:37 PM 10-05-2011
Wow, I am not sure I would go that far, but ok.

WSU would compare to them in BB, and WSU had a couple guys get into the NFL. Bill Parcells came from WSU, along with Jumpy Gaethers.
WSU is probably a better comparison, thanks Hemi! :-)
[Reply]
Al Bundy 03:38 PM 10-05-2011
Ya know, if MU leaves, the big loser in all of this is KCMO and Jackson County. That's million$ in revenue between the b-ball tourney and the game at Arrowhead. I guess that loss is just transferred to the MU athletic department. Good for them.
It hurts the Kansas side of the state line as well.
[Reply]
Page 221 of 727
« First < 121171211217218219220221 222223224225231271321721 > Last »
Up