ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 22 of 85
« First < 121819202122 232425263272 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Handy-Man Corner
Iowanian 08:25 AM 09-24-2004
I'm tired of bad Chiefs news.....

I thought it would be a good idea for a thread on the Handy-Man.

Do you have any Home remedies, gadgets you've made, advice on car repair, home maint, sollutions to kill weeds in your yard, bugs in your garden?

Use Coke to clean your batteries? That type of stuff.
Home made floor dry?
[Reply]
RJ 12:18 AM 01-06-2007
Originally Posted by Phobia:
That's exactly why I wouldn't use it unless it was on a specific retro project - but then who wants to do a retro kitchen to the 60's?

Exactly. We're usually tearing those out. I'm thinking that history won't judge the 60's to be timeless decor.
[Reply]
Fairplay 12:19 AM 01-06-2007
Originally Posted by NewChief:
Yeah. Kilz does wonders, though. Believe me, I'm an expert with Kilz at this point.
:-)

Tell me about it. I had to repaint the kitchen cabinets both inside and out with that. Then paint over them with white. It looks good.

That was my project last july. It took me three weeks, with at least 2-3 hours every day. Lots of cabinets. That sucked. But glad it was done.
[Reply]
PastorMikH 12:19 AM 01-06-2007
That's exactly why I wouldn't use it unless it was on a specific retro project - but then who wants to do a retro kitchen to the 60's?

Here's a retro stove similar to one a local fireplace/wood stove dealer has that I looked at. I was pretty impressed.

[Reply]
Phobia 12:20 AM 01-06-2007
The whole house? That's wrong. I can see somebody doing a retro kitchen cafe style, but I can't see a whole house. If you're gonna go retro go even further to Arts & Crafts era.
[Reply]
Fairplay 12:20 AM 01-06-2007
My next door neighbor (single guy, college prof, sort of a loner) has a late 50s house that he's totally restored to 1950s specs, all the way down to the appliances. It's cool, but kind of creepy as well.

Where would you get 50's looking appliances?
[Reply]
PastorMikH 12:21 AM 01-06-2007
Do it - especially since you're replacing floor coverings.

I'd open every window in that sucker and let it air out for a few days as well.

One of the agreements is that the lady has hired ServiceMaster for a major steam cleaning/smoke removal which will help alot. However, there is still a lot of residual odor and stain that I fear will bleed through the new paint if we don't go all out.
[Reply]
PastorMikH 12:22 AM 01-06-2007
Originally Posted by Fairplay:

I found that pic from www.elmirastoveworks.com I saw some 50's retro appliances there too.
[Reply]
PastorMikH 12:25 AM 01-06-2007
One of the things I am envisioning is an addition that includes a family room (Man's Room that is). I am actually toying with the idea of a rustic look and trying to find someone with an old barn that has fallen down and use the wood from it as the finished wall where the entertainment system will go.
[Reply]
NewChief 12:27 AM 01-06-2007
He got them all off E-bay. They aren't 50s "looking" appliances. They're actually 50s appliances. Oven, stove, dishwasher, everything. That being said, he lives two houses down from E. Faye Jones (now deceased) who was a student of Frank Lloyd Wright and a pretty famous architect. His houses are more 60s, but restoration is a big deal around here. Now we're going off on a tangent, but there's some kickass pics of Faye's architecture here:
http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/lo...hp/t17801.html

My wife and I were married in the chapel in the very first picture.

Edit: actually were were married here. Wrong chapel in that first pic

[Reply]
Fairplay 12:39 AM 01-06-2007
He got them all off E-bay. They aren't 50s "looking" appliances. They're actually 50s appliances. Oven, stove, dishwasher, everything. That being said, he lives two houses down from E. Faye Jones (now deceased) who was a student of Frank Lloyd Wright and a pretty famous architect. His houses are more 60s, but restoration is a big deal around here. Now we're going off on a tangent, but there's some kickass pics of Faye's architecture here:
http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/lo...hp/t17801.html

My wife and I were married in the chapel in the very first picture.

The 50's look is an 'A' in originalitlity. For resale it would be a different matter. Thats what i try to go with is neutral colors, for resale purposes. Its funny, because my girlfriend will say to replace the floor tile. I say with what? Anything then that, just replace it! I think WTF?
I end up useing what i think, because she says she can't pick it out because she doesn't know what to use. Doesn't make sense.

That church is really cool BTW.
[Reply]
Iowanian 10:04 AM 01-06-2007
RJ...whats the lowdown on the new trend I'm hearing about with "CORK" flooring?

Is it cool or not? Expensive?
[Reply]
Coach 10:07 AM 01-06-2007
Did some handyman work for my parent's new fan that me and my gal bought for their christmas.

Had to remove the old fan and rearrage the electrical wiring and install the new fan in there. Looks great.

Was going to do the plumbing for the dishwasher that we also gave my parents for christmas, but I didn't have the time to do it.
[Reply]
Fairplay 10:47 AM 01-06-2007
Originally Posted by Coach:
Was going to do the plumbing for the dishwasher that we also gave my parents for christmas, but I didn't have the time to do it.

There is time however, to post on the internet.
[Reply]
Coach 10:51 AM 01-06-2007
There is time however, to post on the internet.
Heh, well that, but realistically, we didn't have the proper equipment for that dishwasher to be hooked up correctly, and that my tools were 200 miles away from where my folks house is.
[Reply]
Fairplay 10:53 AM 01-06-2007
Originally Posted by Coach:
Heh, well that, but realistically, we didn't have the proper equipment for that dishwasher to be hooked up correctly, and that my tools were 200 miles away from where my folks house is.

I was just teasing. The way it read i presumed it was something like that.
[Reply]
Page 22 of 85
« First < 121819202122 232425263272 > Last »
Up