ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 22 of 35
« First < 121819202122 2324252632 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***Official Soccer Thread***
POND_OF_RED 10:14 AM 08-06-2021
Creating a new thread for soccer discussion since the Euro’s are done.

Most leagues are in preseason and Sporting KC are currently in a battle for the best record in the league to win the shield. We just sent Busio who’s a young Sporting youth academy player and possible future American star to Venezia to compete in the top division in Italy for a 6.5 million dollar transfer fee with up to $11 million with incentives and a 20% future sell-on rate if they sell him to another team. Not to mention another past youth academy player from Lee’s Summit and another possible World Cup starter Erik Palmer-Brown looks to be joining him at Venezia soon as well. If you’re looking for an Italian team to start rooting for with your new Paramount+ subscription they would be a good candidate with some local flavor.

The U.S has built a little power shift in the CONCACAF region with their wins over Mexico lately in Nations and Gold Cup finals and look to be in really good shape heading into the World Cup qualifiers next month.

Messi looks to be on the move as well. Let’s hope it’s not a worthless one to PSG for everyone’s sake.

Ok, CP feel free to remind me how gay soccer is now. Don’t care. Sporting is kicking ass and so is the USA. It’s a good time to be following along. Discuss…
Spoiler!

[Reply]
GloryDayz 10:31 AM 08-06-2023
Welp, at least that's over...
[Reply]
Discuss Thrower 11:09 AM 08-06-2023
If you're going to be an unlikable team then you should at least win.
[Reply]
ChiefsCountry 01:17 PM 08-06-2023
Originally Posted by MarkDavis'Haircut:
https://twitter.com/bennyjohnson/sta...MpA0BNWZg&s=19

It is poetic that Purple Hair blew it.
Ball don't lie
[Reply]
KC_Connection 01:43 PM 08-06-2023
It took a while, but it looks like the rest of the world has finally caught up with the USA in women's soccer.
[Reply]
Ocotillo 01:55 PM 08-06-2023
Originally Posted by KC_Connection:
It took a while, but it looks like the rest of the world has finally caught up with the USA in women's soccer.
I wish a small island country like Turks and Caicos would field a squad full of ladyboys and show the world who is best.

Rodney Dangerfield was far ahead of his time.

[Reply]
GloryDayz 04:30 PM 08-06-2023
Originally Posted by Ocotillo:
I wish a small island country like Turks and Caicos would field a squad full of ladyboys and show the world who is best.

Rodney Dangerfield was far ahead of his time.

It really is about the best way, perhaps the fastest way, perhaps the only way, to end the insanity.

And it would be fun to watch too..

The radical left would bite their tounges, at lest for a while.
[Reply]
|Zach| 05:22 PM 08-06-2023
Boy that was a brutal way to go. Can't let another team survive like that.

This squad never really put it together. The game seemed too big for them in big moments.

Will be interesting to see who the next coach is. Vlatko is not the one.
[Reply]
chiefzilla1501 05:41 PM 08-06-2023
Originally Posted by |Zach|:
Boy that was a brutal way to go. Can't let another team survive like that.

This squad never really put it together. The game seemed too big for them in big moments.

Will be interesting to see who the next coach is. Vlatko is not the one.
This felt like the US throwing away a world cup to do a farewell tour for their geezers. Even if that meant playing out of position.One thing to roster rapinoe, but to play her, then to allow her to flub corner after corner then kick a crucial penalty. Despite an obvious lack of firepower they went favored slow and ineffective experienced geezers over young and dynamic inexperienced young players.

May be for the better. Coach seems nice but is wildly out of his depth. Veterans got too smug. they should have passed the torch instead of trying to run it back.
[Reply]
|Zach| 05:46 PM 08-06-2023
Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501:
This felt like the US throwing away a world cup to do a farewell tour for their geezers. Even if that meant playing out of position.One thing to roster rapinoe, but to play her, then to allow her to flub corner after corner then kick a crucial penalty. Despite an obvious lack of firepower they went favored slow and ineffective experienced geezers over young and dynamic inexperienced young players.

May be for the better. Coach seems nice but is wildly out of his depth. Veterans got too smug. they should have passed the torch instead of trying to run it back.
I think this team still had the requisite moxie to be a winner. They had all the pieces and I think they were poorly coached. Really rudderless on offense. I don't feel like the squad selection is as bad as others do but I get where you are coming from. Striker position was a damn mess.

I was pretty disappointed in Sophia Smith bottling her big moment.

On the bright side our keeper was amazing.
[Reply]
|Zach| 05:48 PM 08-06-2023
Non US related that performance by the Sweden goal keeper was one of the best I have seen in a while.
[Reply]
UChieffyBugger 05:49 PM 08-06-2023
Fourteen of the roster had never played in a world cup before and they were missing several key players through injury so it's no surprise that they weren't as dominant as previous years. They weren't great against Portugal but did have great chances to win. They were outplayed in the first half against Holland but battered them in the second half and should have won that game too.

The game today was tragic. Dominated from start to finish, dominated the shootout early and then collapsed. It's a beautiful game but days like today can be cruel.

A new coach and the youngsters developing properly should see them bounce back fine in the next few years Imo. I don't think they have anything to worry about and winning the world cup every time was always unrealistic expecially when you're going through a transition period.

It's gonna be interesting to see who wins it now.
[Reply]
DJay23 08:07 PM 08-06-2023
Having Rose Lavelle could have been the difference. In a game where the US put so many shots on frame, you know Rose would have had and created opportunities and she's pretty dead on.

That Swedish keeper though, what great performance.
[Reply]
chiefzilla1501 06:11 AM 08-07-2023
Originally Posted by |Zach|:
I think this team still had the requisite moxie to be a winner. They had all the pieces and I think they were poorly coached. Really rudderless on offense. I don't feel like the squad selection is as bad as others do but I get where you are coming from. Striker position was a damn mess.

I was pretty disappointed in Sophia Smith bottling her big moment.

On the bright side our keeper was amazing.
Agreed, and part of that coaching decision was the refusal to play youth. Even if that meant relying on rapinoe who for all her past succesa was bad on almost every single touch. Having a young gun like alyssa thompson play 1 minute is criminal. They had a few young guns who played zero minutes. I get subbing vets late for PKS (to some extent). But man, not only could youth have provided a spark, also you get the future ready. It was almost like shelving Reyna for the men but way worse. Morgan was ok enough but did we really need a 37 year old playing that many minutes? And then after burning her you wait until the 25th hour to sub her for rapinoe to take the PKs?

The squad selection had a lot of their hand forced. It's just puzzling why he gave so much favoritism to old and slow veterans and didn't use the youth on the bench that he had. Imagine if vlatko coached 22 year old Alex morgan in her first world cup. She would've never seen the pitch
[Reply]
Garcia Bronco 06:53 AM 08-07-2023
Originally Posted by bdj23:
Looks like equal pay = equal results
They got their pay and they were still bitching. They truly represent American women.
[Reply]
chiefzilla1501 07:56 AM 08-07-2023
Originally Posted by Garcia Bronco:
They got their pay and they were still bitching. They truly represent American women.
They got their pay and yet in spite of their dominance the US is at significant risk of losing players to Europe and have an underinvested pro league. Men don't care yet we feel the need to white knight them... They make a shitload in their pro careers and they recognize that growing the women's game is good for US soccer overall. But by all means, maybe we shoild be more American and lose to Europe on soccer development. It's too entrenched to change that for men's soccer, but there's no excuse for the US not to be dominating women's soccer.
[Reply]
Page 22 of 35
« First < 121819202122 2324252632 > Last »
Up