ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 21 of 24
« First < 111718192021 222324 >
Nzoner's Game Room>Ever wanted to name a university's mascot? Now's your chance!
RealSNR 01:22 PM 04-01-2015
The University of North Dakota got rid of the Fighting Sioux in 2012, and since that time, they have been simply "The University of North Dakota." No mascot. Fighting Sioux was beloved by the community of Grand Forks largely because of the tradition associated with it in the university's college hockey program, which has been historically and recently one of the top college hockey programs in the NCAA.

The university has finally assembled a committee to look through suggestions and recommend a new mascot to the president of the university. They just need the suggestions. That's where you come in. Simply click the link and fill out the online form: http://und.edu/nickname/

Here are the basic guidelines to consider (from the UND announcement):

Spoiler!

Since I'm originally from Grand Forks, I have connections to people who are abuzz with this process. I can tell you that there are already some favorites being championed:

--Flickertails. This was the university's mascot prior to becoming the Fighting Sioux in the 1930s. Given the university's recent goals of expanding into a tier-one research university, it makes a lot of sense to go with rodentia like their counterparts in the Big 10 (gophers, badgers). North Dakota is also known as the Flickertail State.

--Roughriders. The safest bet. Nothing says North Dakota pride like references to Teddy Roosevelt. Would also still manage to piss off a few people, since Teddy Roosevelt probably killed a few Indians when he was out in the North Dakota Badlands. It largely boils down to whether or not the university is cool with proudly stating to people, "Yeah, you might think of condoms when you hear our name, but we're still going to beat you in hockey!"

--Pilots. UND's aviation research and development program is unanimously known as the best in the country. It's odd to pick a mascot based on the strength of an academic program, but eh... weirder things have happened.

--Green Meadowlarks. This one combines creativity with tradition and old-sounding college mascot nomenclature, but it's also kind of weird. The Western Meadowlark is the state bird of North Dakota, and green and white are the school's primary colors. A problem with this is that I believe the Western Meadowlark is also the state bird of like 20 other states. It's still better than Banana Slugs.

--Keep using no mascot. The most likely option, I think. It's the last method that UND fans have to tell the NCAA to go fuck itself for making the university ditch Fighting Sioux. There's a rule in place that they can't have a racial mascot, but there is no rule that says the school has to have a mascot, just a nice little memo that says, "It would be really nice if your school had a mascot so we could maintain the entire aesthetic of the neighborhood. Smiley face." It would also make the university stand out and be truly unique.

But that doesn't mean you can't play a role in creating collegiate athletic history! So get in there!
[Reply]
Rain Man 11:28 AM 05-19-2015
Originally Posted by Pestilence:
How the **** does North Dakota make it through into the semi-finals?

The University of North Dakota North Dakotas?

They'll make a minor edit to convert it to North Hawkotas.
[Reply]
alnorth 11:50 AM 05-19-2015
How the fuck does North Dakota make it through into the semi-finals?

The University of North Dakota North Dakotas?
That would be for the option to not have a mascot or a nickname. If I had to put money on it, I think that is the most likely candidate to win, as a protest against having to drop their old indian mascot, "Oh yeah NCAA, well fine, we won't have a mascot then!"
[Reply]
displacedinMN 02:22 PM 05-26-2015
The Ermines lost the fight-the dream is dead

http://www.startribune.com/north-dak...-63/304997541/

http://www.grandforksherald.com/news...housands-ideas

http://www.grandforksherald.com/news...eligible-names

I find it more amazing that this is news in Minneapolis. But there are a lot of kids that end up at UND and NDSU.
[Reply]
TimBone 04:39 PM 05-26-2015
Fuck that University.
[Reply]
Pasta Little Brioni 04:43 PM 05-26-2015
Good
[Reply]
TimBone 05:39 PM 05-26-2015
Originally Posted by Pasta Giant Meatball:
Good
I will fuck you.
[Reply]
Rain Man 09:28 AM 06-10-2015
They have now narrowed the list down to 15 terrible candidates. I will henceforth refer to the team as the Ermines.

I'll laugh audibly if they pick any of the "Hawks" variants. They're all facepalmingly bad.

Now that I think about it, I'm surprised that Facepalmers was never suggested. It would have been a great name.

http://www.inforum.com/news/3763005-...committees-cut

- Blaze

- Cavalry

- Explorers

- Fighting Green

- Fighting Hawks

- Force

- Green Hawks

- Nodaks

- North Dakota

- North Stars

- Pride

- Roughriders

- Spirit

- Sundogs

- Thunder Hawks
[Reply]
The Franchise 09:35 AM 06-10-2015
North Dakota is still there? :-)
[Reply]
Rain Man 09:36 AM 06-10-2015
North Dakota is still there? :-)
If it wins, they're going to face a logo infringement suit from the Cleveland Browns.
[Reply]
Rain Man 09:37 AM 06-10-2015
I think that Explorers and North Stars are the only two names left on the list that aren't an embarrassment, and I don't get the Explorers name.
[Reply]
The Franchise 09:42 AM 06-10-2015
If I had to pick my top 3 from that list (and that's fucking hard)....it would be.

1. Roughriders
2. North Stars
3. Cavalry

And I only picked Roughriders because of the sexual innuendos you could get away with.
[Reply]
Rain Man 10:12 AM 06-10-2015
If I had to pick my top 3 from that list (and that's ****ing hard)....it would be.

1. Roughriders
2. North Stars
3. Cavalry

And I only picked Roughriders because of the sexual innuendos you could get away with.

Meaning no offense to Teddy Roosevelt, it does bring to mind some sort of condom imagery.
[Reply]
KC native 10:21 AM 06-10-2015
This contest is a sham since ermines has been eliminated.
[Reply]
Rain Man 11:12 AM 06-10-2015
Originally Posted by KC native:
This contest is a sham since ermines has been eliminated.
It lost all credibility at that point, I agree.
[Reply]
displacedinMN 12:39 PM 06-10-2015
Explorers could be from Lewis and Clark or Nicolett

Still not a good choice to me.

Maybe they should have gone the other extreme-Saints. Equally offensive to some today.

North Stars will tick off some Minnesotans. They are still mad at them leaving.
Some still wear North Stars stuff today.
[Reply]
Page 21 of 24
« First < 111718192021 222324 >
Up