ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 21 of 34
« First < 111718192021 2223242531 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Best BBQ joint in KC area?
BossChief 12:20 PM 02-07-2015
We are driving down to KC and I usually go to Gates, but want to try something different this time around.

I'm looking to go to the absolute best BBQ joint in the KC area for dinner tonight and figured you guys would know best. Maybe a few of you want to come out and eat with us.

What say you, CP?

(The search function is off or I'd use it.)
[Reply]
Sassy Squatch 12:00 PM 04-05-2018
I thought I was the only one. Service and food both sucked the only time I've went to Gates
[Reply]
Simply Red 12:25 PM 04-05-2018
Originally Posted by BWillie:
Gates is ****ing terrible. I guess if you don't care about quality of meat or rubs, and just like your BBQ drowning in sauce, that place is for you.
Fuck you!
[Reply]
BlackHelicopters 12:29 PM 04-05-2018
Originally Posted by Simply Red:
Fuck you!
Heh
[Reply]
srvy 12:33 PM 04-05-2018
Originally Posted by BlackHelicopters:
When did he die? This is all fresh to me. I started in 1987. Ribs were not good. Learned better options.
Mr Rieke died in 1997 and his wife in 2002. I think his Daughter runs the place now. I always got the half slab of long ends back in the day. Also Mr Rieke always hand cut his fries I am not sure but I dont believe they are anymore but still good.
[Reply]
BlackHelicopters 12:35 PM 04-05-2018
Originally Posted by srvy:
Mr Rieke died in 1997 and his wife in 2002. I think his Daughter runs the place now. I always got the half slab of long ends back in the day. Also Mr Rieke always hand cut his fries I am not sure but I dont believe they are anymore but still good.
Thanks for the history. As a naive student, I only knew what tasted great.
[Reply]
srvy 12:40 PM 04-05-2018
Originally Posted by BWillie:
Gates is fucking terrible. I guess if you don't care about quality of meat or rubs, and just like your BBQ drowning in sauce, that place is for you.
You know you can always tell them to hold the sauce. Any BBQ aficionado always sauces on the side for god sake this isnt Texas.
[Reply]
srvy 12:55 PM 04-05-2018
I actually had there food in the 60s. My mom worked as a secretary in the grain mill next to Rosedale. She would order take home and pick up after work ended. It started out as a lunch counter popular with the railroad workers and millers. They kept requesting his bbq meats that he had every friday so a BBQ joint was born.
[Reply]
gblowfish 01:16 PM 04-05-2018
The ribs have always been country style, and are fatty and the consistency of pot roast. Not their best menu item. Turkey, brisket, all the sides are excellent. Best drink selection of any BBQ joint in the city. The fries are spectacular. Crinkle cut, and served in little wax baggies. Sauce has a fruity apple/cinnamon kick. It's one of my favorite places in the city. Great value too if you don't mind eating off a styrofoam plate.
[Reply]
gblowfish 01:21 PM 04-05-2018
Some other places in the city that deserve mention: Smoking Guns BBQ in North KC has (IMHO) the best burnt ends. I'm not a real big fan of burnt ends. Usually they're way too greasy and sloppy for my taste. Smoking Guns version is great, and the rest of their menu is very good too. Big T's is a joint just east of LC's on Blue Parkway. Their mixed plate is HUUUUGE. You get a lot of food, enough to feed two for sure. And they have a drive thru, which I love. And they're open Sunday. LCs is iconic, no better beef sandwich. It's messy, so get a lot of napkins. LC's, Big T's and Gates on US 40 are the closest BBQ joints to the stadiums. A sleeper place in near where I live in Independence called "A Liittle BBQ Joint" near US 24 and River, just west of Hi-Boys. They have an outdoor patio in good weather, and hot rodders like it because it has a classic car motif theme. Food is decent, not my favorite, but it's good. Nice people there too. They donate food to a lot of local charity events.
[Reply]
BlackHelicopters 01:40 PM 04-05-2018
I actually had there food in the 60s. My mom worked as a secretary in the grain mill next to Rosedale. She would order take home and pick up after work ended. It started out as a lunch counter popular with the railroad workers and millers. They kept requesting his bbq meats that he had every friday so a BBQ joint was born.

Nice. Thank you.
[Reply]
BlackHelicopters 01:40 PM 04-05-2018
Originally Posted by gblowfish:
The ribs have always been country style, and are fatty and the consistency of pot roast. Not their best menu item. Turkey, brisket, all the sides are excellent. Best drink selection of any BBQ joint in the city. The fries are spectacular. Crinkle cut, and served in little wax baggies. Sauce has a fruity apple/cinnamon kick. It's one of my favorite places in the city. Great value too if you don't mind eating off a styrofoam plate.

Great rundown.
[Reply]
Chief Pagan 02:06 PM 04-05-2018
Originally Posted by chinaski:
The mail order food is good, but it loses some of its soul when you do the mail order thing. It will definitely scratch the itch though...especially out here in SOCAL where decent BBQ is pretty much nonexistent.

As far as value, I think it's overpriced for the quantity of food you get. I have gotten pretty good at smoking ribs, and it's certainly a better value. God, those beans though, they are fuggin GOOD.
When I am back in KC, I'll get beans from Jack's to go and then buy brisket or ribs from someplace else.

I'm happy with the ribs I make, but don't have the energy to try and also do beans. Maybe I should look into mail ordering just the beans.
[Reply]
gblowfish 02:47 PM 04-05-2018
Jack Stack's beans are one of their signature items. Their onion ring stack is pretty spectacular too, but doesn't travel well.

When I was a kid, there was a place on 40 Highway not too far from Cool Crest called The Driftwood BBQ. It was a sit down diner kind of place. If you ordered BBQ beans, they came in a little ceramic bean pot, like a coffee cup size, but like a little jug shaped pot just big enough to dip a spoon into. They kept the beans piping hot, and that was outstanding. I wish places still did that, but I'm sure those were a bitch for the bus boys to wash. They looked kind of like this, but were individual serving sized.
Attached: beanpot.jpg (60.0 KB) 
[Reply]
Mecca 02:56 PM 04-05-2018
Originally Posted by gblowfish:
Some other places in the city that deserve mention: Smoking Guns BBQ in North KC has (IMHO) the best burnt ends. I'm not a real big fan of burnt ends. Usually they're way too greasy and sloppy for my taste. Smoking Guns version is great, and the rest of their menu is very good too. Big T's is a joint just east of LC's on Blue Parkway. Their mixed plate is HUUUUGE. You get a lot of food, enough to feed two for sure. And they have a drive thru, which I love. And they're open Sunday. LCs is iconic, no better beef sandwich. It's messy, so get a lot of napkins. LC's, Big T's and Gates on US 40 are the closest BBQ joints to the stadiums. A sleeper place in near where I live in Independence called "A Liittle BBQ Joint" near US 24 and River, just west of Hi-Boys. They have an outdoor patio in good weather, and hot rodders like it because it has a classic car motif theme. Food is decent, not my favorite, but it's good. Nice people there too. They donate food to a lot of local charity events.
I've been to all those places but Big T's, little bbq joint is pretty good for a place that's not far from my house.
[Reply]
Coogs 04:48 PM 04-05-2018
Well it is the KC Star what do they have now a couple hundred subscribers.
I dont get over to Zardas much but when I have I had no complaints.

Q39 Q39 Q39 its a broken record here. Seriously if its the only place you eat BBQ in KC area how would you even know what the others are like. Same with Joes KC which I like very much but there are many joints that have good Que. I remember when Jackstack was all the rage in here and people kept justifying it because of the cheesy corn:-):-)
It says in the article, 50,000 votes went to Zarda's in the final. 92,000 over the 4 week event.
[Reply]
Page 21 of 34
« First < 111718192021 2223242531 > Last »
Up