ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 206 of 293
« First < 106156196202203204205206 207208209210216256 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***** Official 2017-2018 Kansas Basketball Repository Thread *****
saphojunkie 11:27 AM 04-06-2017
Fuck the elite 8. Final Four or bust, baby.

Will update as people declare for the draft/transfer/commit

ROSTER:

Spoiler!

UPDATE: Important new dates:

Kansas 2017 Summer Tour - Italy
Spoiler!

NON CON SCHEDULE:

Spoiler!

BIG 12 SCHEDULE:
Spoiler!

[Reply]
KC_Connection 10:37 PM 03-20-2018
Originally Posted by Prison Bitch:
His comp is Doke, whom you called a "terrible rebounder". Per 40 they have the same FGA, FTA, steals, turnovers. Doke 12 boards vs Delgado 15. Doke blocks a few more shots and fouls a bit more.
No, it isn't. Delgado's closest statistical comps are David Lee '05, Stefan Nastic '15, David West '03, Ryan Anderson '16, and Kahiem Seawright '09. He is also a far different player than Udoka in that he has no offensive touch whatsoever (51% on 2s vs Udoka's 77.5%) and is a far better rebounder (28.0 DR% vs. 20.5 DR%).
[Reply]
Bearcat 10:59 PM 03-20-2018
Originally Posted by Pants:
IDGAF whether KU is playing Austin Peay in the first round or North Carolina in the Final Four, I get nervous for every game. It has nothing to do with match ups or KenPom.

I don't know how you guys don't.
I generally don't.

I think a lot of it comes down to the fact they're the one team I follow that's consistently worth watching every single year and has some sort of chance at a NC every single year. And I've seen them win a NC, make unexpected runs, pull wins out of their ass, pull defeat from the jaws of victory... I once saw Elijah Johnson walk onto the court with 3 fouls (IIRC), cock punch someone, and walk back to the bench, which was just one of many things that still makes me think he had money on Michigan.... I've seen it all, man.

Even if they miss a window of opportunity for a NC, it's not like the Royals' where that window is shut for an indefinite amount of time. If they lose this weekend, they'll have a shot at another Big 12 Championship next year and they'll be back in the tourney...

I also see college sports differently and haven't ever put the same expectations on kids.

There are still exceptions sometimes.... last year I spent a decent amount of money at the last minute to fly to KC and watch them lose to Oregon. Yeah, there were some nerves in that game. Losing to a 16 has always been my biggest sports fear, but only Holy Cross back in the day and being at Sprint Center for WKU has made me nervous about it.

For the most part though, any nervousness/excitement really only builds towards the end of a game... I've seen so much shit happen in the last ~5 minutes or less of games, getting nervous before that seems kind of silly.
[Reply]
Mr. Plow 07:05 AM 03-21-2018
Originally Posted by Bearcat:
I once saw Elijah Johnson walk onto the court with 3 fouls (IIRC), cock punch someone, and walk back to the bench
:-):-)
[Reply]
TambaBerry 07:13 AM 03-21-2018
I don't ever get nervous until towards the end of games if the score is close. I enjoy the first 35 minutes of the game then the last 5 is like ok cant sit still. Before games i get really anxious though, I just want the game here.
[Reply]
Lzen 07:23 AM 03-21-2018
Originally Posted by KC_Connection:
No, it isn't. Delgado's closest statistical comps are David Lee '05, Stefan Nastic '15, David West '03, Ryan Anderson '16, and Kahiem Seawright '09. He is also a far different player than Udoka in that he has no offensive touch whatsoever (51% on 2s vs Udoka's 77.5%) and is a far better rebounder (28.0 DR% vs. 20.5 DR%).
Originally Posted by Prison Bitch:
Per 40...Doke 12 boards vs Delgado 15
You are correct, KCC, in that the FG % (Doke is vastly superior) is different. However, the rebounding averages are not much different (assuming PBs number are correct). I don't need Kenpom to see that 12 per 40 mins is not that much different than 15.
[Reply]
Lzen 07:25 AM 03-21-2018
Originally Posted by Bearcat:
I generally don't.

I think a lot of it comes down to the fact they're the one team I follow that's consistently worth watching every single year and has some sort of chance at a NC every single year. And I've seen them win a NC, make unexpected runs, pull wins out of their ass, pull defeat from the jaws of victory... I once saw Elijah Johnson walk onto the court with 3 fouls (IIRC), cock punch someone, and walk back to the bench, which was just one of many things that still makes me think he had money on Michigan.... I've seen it all, man.

Even if they miss a window of opportunity for a NC, it's not like the Royals' where that window is shut for an indefinite amount of time. If they lose this weekend, they'll have a shot at another Big 12 Championship next year and they'll be back in the tourney...

I also see college sports differently and haven't ever put the same expectations on kids.

There are still exceptions sometimes.... last year I spent a decent amount of money at the last minute to fly to KC and watch them lose to Oregon. Yeah, there were some nerves in that game. Losing to a 16 has always been my biggest sports fear, but only Holy Cross back in the day and being at Sprint Center for WKU has made me nervous about it.

For the most part though, any nervousness/excitement really only builds towards the end of a game... I've seen so much shit happen in the last ~5 minutes or less of games, getting nervous before that seems kind of silly.
I liked EJ as a player but that Michigan game pissed me off to no end. I don't know whether he had money on it, but he sure played like crap. More likely they got into his head somehow and threw off his game.
[Reply]
smithandrew051 08:22 AM 03-21-2018
Originally Posted by Lzen:
I liked EJ as a player but that Michigan game pissed me off to no end. I don't know whether he had money on it, but he sure played like crap. More likely they got into his head somehow and threw off his game.
That game pissed me off too...but that was the same year as his 39 points in Ames to rip Iowa State’s heart out so I’ll let it slide.
[Reply]
Mr. Plow 10:51 AM 03-21-2018
So assuming that we win on Friday, anyone have a clue what time on Sunday we would be losing?
[Reply]
Prison Bitch 11:13 AM 03-21-2018
You are correct, KCC, in that the FG % (Doke is vastly superior) is different. However, the rebounding averages are not much different (assuming PBs number are correct). I don't need Kenpom to see that 12 per 40 mins is not that much different than 15.
Doke's rebounds/40 are identical to one Nick Collison. Collison's rebound rate was stable at KU so it wasn't dampened by his early years either:
https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb...ollison-1.html

"Doke is a terrible rebounder"

-So Nick Collison was too?

"(We will see what clever rebuttal his spits up)"
[Reply]
saphojunkie 11:37 AM 03-21-2018
I think people think of Doke as a poor rebounder, because they expected him to average like 12 a game. But, when he comes over on help defense to block or contest a shot, it means he can't block out his man.

I guarantee if we had a traditional lineup and guys weren't beat inside consistently, he'd be in position to block out and his average would shoot up.

Oh well, I love the four guard lineup, even if I'm excited about the more traditional look next year.
[Reply]
saphojunkie 11:38 AM 03-21-2018
Also, this might just be March murmurs, but I've started hearing people talk about Udoka trying for the NBA. Really hope not, as I think he'd be a beast next year with the big guys we have coming in to support him.
[Reply]
KC_Connection 11:39 AM 03-21-2018
Udoka's OR% is 12.2% (84th in the country) and DR% is 20.5% (205th in the country). Delgado's OR% is 14.7% (13th in the country) and DR is 28.0% (17th in the country).

There is a massive difference between them as rebounders, namely that one is actually really good at it and one isn't good at all especially for his size.
[Reply]
KC_Connection 11:45 AM 03-21-2018
Originally Posted by saphojunkie:
Also, this might just be March murmurs, but I've started hearing people talk about Udoka trying for the NBA. Really hope not, as I think he'd be a beast next year with the big guys we have coming in to support him.
That makes no sense because he does absolutely nothing at a NBA level and doesn't fit in today's NBA at all but it isn't like these kids haven't made awful career decisions before.
[Reply]
saphojunkie 11:49 AM 03-21-2018
That makes no sense because he does absolutely nothing at a NBA level and doesn't fit in today's NBA at all but it isn't like these kids haven't made awful career decisions before.
There are still traditional bigs. I certainly wouldn't advise him to go, but maybe he's going to do the combine and get his feedback without hiring an agent. It's not dumb.

Kiimosabi put it well: "Learn to shoot and rebound. There, I saved you two months."

But still, it is helpful for guys to hear the NBA tell them to work on this and that, otherwise you're a 2nd rounder or undrafted. Give him focus going into next year, so he doesn't play with one foot out the door.
[Reply]
Prison Bitch 12:06 PM 03-21-2018
Udoka's OR% is 12.2% (84th in the country) and DR% is 20.5% (205th in the country). Delgado's OR% is 14.7% (13th in the country) and DR is 28.0% (17th in the country).

There is a massive difference between them as rebounders, namely that one is actually really good at it and one isn't good at all especially for his size.
Ok, then Collison was a terrible rebounder too.
[Reply]
Page 206 of 293
« First < 106156196202203204205206 207208209210216256 > Last »
Up