ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2 of 11
< 12 3456 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Didn't get what the big deal was about the whole Boulevard dealio.
lcarus 09:55 AM 04-16-2021
When I'm at a bar, I almost always go Boulevard.

80 Acre was great, but I guess that got discontinued?
[Reply]
htismaqe 09:56 AM 04-16-2021
Around here, a lot of places seem to have Boulevard Wheat on tap and I'm more of an IPA guy. I usually just go local. We have some good breweries around here.
[Reply]
Bearcat 10:06 AM 04-16-2021
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
Around here, a lot of places seem to have Boulevard Wheat on tap and I'm more of an IPA guy. I usually just go local. We have some good breweries around here.
I'm getting a bottle of Toppling Goliath soon and I'm pretty stoked, since they're in absolute BFE Iowa and I'd never have a reason to be within like 3 hours of it (and apparently it's 3 hours from Des Moines, which kind of blows my mind that you can drive that far and still be in Iowa).
[Reply]
htismaqe 10:07 AM 04-16-2021
Originally Posted by Bearcat:
I'm getting a bottle of Toppling Goliath soon and I'm pretty stoked, since they're in absolute BFE Iowa and I'd never have a reason to be within like 3 hours of it (and apparently it's 3 hours from Des Moines, which kind of blows my mind that you can drive that far and still be in Iowa).
Where are they located?
[Reply]
Bearcat 10:09 AM 04-16-2021
Where are they located?
Decorah, northeast Iowa. Pulpit Rock is there, too, and apparently very good.
[Reply]
htismaqe 10:10 AM 04-16-2021
Decorah, northeast Iowa. Pulpit Rock is there, too, and apparently very good.
Yeah Decorah is a bit of a haul for me. Maybe if I head up to the Twin Cities sometime I'll stop in and get you some.
[Reply]
HemiEd 05:05 PM 04-16-2021

If you drive from Chicago to KC you will be in Iowa much longer than that. :-)
[Reply]
louie aguiar 10:09 AM 04-16-2021
I would tend to agree. Their IPAs are good but not great. There's many better options. I actually really like the Martin City Hardway IPA as a nice session beer.
[Reply]
BigBeauford 09:57 AM 04-16-2021
Tank 7 is pound for pound their best beer when you factor in drinkablity, price, and alcohol content.

Their barrel aged stuff is a real treat. Big fan of the stout myself.
[Reply]
kepp 09:59 AM 04-16-2021
+1 for Tank 7

You should also try "The Sixth Glass Quadruple Ale"
[Reply]
Loneiguana 06:35 PM 04-16-2021
Originally Posted by kepp:
+1 for Tank 7

You should also try "The Sixth Glass Quadruple Ale"
I can hardly drink anything else.

Thier quad is soooooo good.
[Reply]
Bearcat 10:03 AM 04-16-2021
BBQ is one of the very few Boulevard beers that I still drink. I started craft beer with their Pale Ale, Single/Double Wide IPAs, Dark Truth, Bourbon Barrel Quad, Nutcracker Ale, Irish Ale....

...over time though, craft beer has really taken off and IMO, (my unpopular opinion on a KC board, of course) Boulevard got left behind. Granted, my go-to is huge stouts, which is a relatively niche thing.

To answer your question, BBQ is just about it, IMO, unless maybe some of the IPA offerings or Tank 7 if you like Belgian beer (it's the huge favorite, but it's not for me). I still try their special releases from time to time, but they're generally disappointing.

I talked to a guy who lives in Sacramento the other day and I mentioned New Glory to him... once had their Mindshaker Key Lime Pie IPA and it's an amazing beer.
[Reply]
htismaqe 10:06 AM 04-16-2021
BBQ is one of the very few Boulevard beers that I still drink. I started craft beer with their Pale Ale, Single/Double Wide IPAs, Dark Truth, Bourbon Barrel Quad, Nutcracker Ale, Irish Ale....

...over time though, craft beer has really taken off and IMO, Boulevard got left behind. Granted, my go-to is huge stouts, which is a relatively niche thing.

To answer your question, BBQ is just about it, IMO, unless maybe some of the IPA offerings or Tank 7 if you like Belgian beer (it's the huge favorite, but it's not for me). I still try their special releases from time to time, but they're generally disappointing.

I talked to a guy who lives in Sacramento the other day and I mentioned New Glory to him... once had their Mindshaker Key Lime Pie IPA and it's an amazing beer.
I would imagine it's because Boulevard is too big to really be a microbrewery anymore. The more successful a brewer gets, the more "ordinary" their beer becomes IMO.
[Reply]
Bearcat 10:11 AM 04-16-2021
I would imagine it's because Boulevard is too big to really be a microbrewery anymore. The more successful a brewer gets, the more "ordinary" their beer becomes IMO.
Yeah, a lot of people freaked out when they were bought out and I was very wait-and-see about it... not sure if that did have a huge impact, but I know my tastes have changed a lot, too.
[Reply]
stanleychief 01:47 PM 04-16-2021

...over time though, craft beer has really taken off and IMO, (my unpopular opinion on a KC board, of course) Boulevard got left behind. Granted, my go-to is huge stouts, which is a relatively niche thing.

Not sure what you have available to you, but Boulevard has quite a few decent barrel aged stouts from time to time here in KC. The Whiskey Barrel Stout is pretty good for a year round offering, but their limited release Smokestack beers are where they excel. The experimental beers at their taproom can be hit or miss, but every once in a while they will have one that will knock your socks off. I feel like they are losing focus a bit though with Fling and Quirk. Stick to beer and let other companies make that crap.
[Reply]
Page 2 of 11
< 12 3456 > Last »
Up