ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2 of 3
< 12 3 >
Media Center>Old school PC gamers - any good way to play old PC games?
htismaqe 07:38 AM 08-27-2020
I have some old XP-era games I would love to play again. Unfortunately, Windows 10 doesn't support SafeDisc so I can't install them on Windows 10.

I also don't have any hardware that will fully support older versions of Windows (driver issues) so I can just game on an older machine.

Are there emulators out there or some other way to play older games that I have on disk? Some of these games aren't on Steam so digital isn't an option either.
[Reply]
Imon Yourside 03:49 PM 08-27-2020
Probably have to find a crack, I would link a site but it might be unwelcomed. :-)

game *cough* copy *cough* world

vmware is free to use for individuals as well. I still play Chaos Overlords on my win 95 emulated machine.
[Reply]
tyecopeland 04:51 PM 08-27-2020
Think my parents still have a windows me machine laying around the house I could ship to you :-)
[Reply]
htismaqe 09:24 PM 08-27-2020
Originally Posted by Imon Yourside:
Probably have to find a crack, I would link a site but it might be unwelcomed. :-)

game *cough* copy *cough* world

vmware is free to use for individuals as well. I still play Chaos Overlords on my win 95 emulated machine.
VMware isn't free anymore unfortunately. Even Player costs money.

Plus if I were going to go the virtualization route, I'd probably just buy Fusion and run everything on my Mac since it's like 3x more powerful than my Win10 machine.
[Reply]
htismaqe 09:26 PM 08-27-2020
By the way, I've used GCW for years. The problem is that the disks are protected with SafeDisk. Windows 10 no longer contains the SafeDisk system files so a NoCD crack is useless. I can't even install the game, it won't read the DRM off the disk so it gets to 99% done and says it failed.
[Reply]
Fish 09:39 PM 08-27-2020
Yeah, you'd probably be best off loading VMWare Fusion on the Mac, and giving all available resources to the VM. You'll see a considerable performance reduction running via VM. But hopefully if you tweak the graphics resources enough for the VM, it will be enough for the lower graphics requirements of the old XP games to run smoothly. Would depend on the Mac graphics.
[Reply]
htismaqe 09:47 PM 08-27-2020
Originally Posted by Fish:
Yeah, you'd probably be best off loading VMWare Fusion on the Mac, and giving all available resources to the VM. You'll see a considerable performance reduction running via VM. But hopefully if you tweak the graphics resources enough for the VM, it will be enough for the lower graphics requirements of the old XP games to run smoothly. Would depend on the Mac graphics.
Yeah, I'm pretty sure I have enough horsepower for old Windows games, even in VMWare. It's an i7 quad core with 32GB RAM and a Radeon Pro 580 8GB. I can run Windows VM's in virtual box, it's just that VB doesn't do graphics acceleration so it doesn't do any games well.

I had Windows 10 on Bootcamp partition and it was plenty fast and I could play modern games but couldn't install the old games because of SafeDisk. Otherwise I wouldn't have a problem at all.
[Reply]
Mephistopheles Janx 06:07 AM 08-28-2020
Ok... came up with plan B.

What about if you partition off your HD again and install Windows 8.1 (assuming you will have fewer driver issues there but not sure).

From there, if it has been installed, remove KB3086255 and you should be able to play them again.
[Reply]
htismaqe 09:23 AM 08-28-2020
Originally Posted by Mephistopheles Janx:
Ok... came up with plan B.

What about if you partition off your HD again and install Windows 8.1 (assuming you will have fewer driver issues there but not sure).

From there, if it has been installed, remove KB3086255 and you should be able to play them again.
My daughter is getting a new PC for school. Here existing laptop came with Windows 7 so that might actually be an option. I guess we'll find out. :-)
[Reply]
Mephistopheles Janx 09:36 AM 08-28-2020
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
My daughter is getting a new PC for school. Here existing laptop came with Windows 7 so that might actually be an option. I guess we'll find out. :-)
I am super curious to find out if it did. Please report back!
[Reply]
Deberg_1990 04:32 PM 08-28-2020
My son plays Roller Coaster Tycoon on Win 10. But it was bought and installed thru Steam.
[Reply]
htismaqe 05:25 PM 08-28-2020
Originally Posted by Deberg_1990:
My son plays Roller Coaster Tycoon on Win 10. But it was bought and installed thru Steam.
One of the games I want to play isn't available on Steam, or anything else for that matter. My old CD is the only way to get it.

But my daughter's new 2-in-1 for school came today so I will have a 3-year old Windows 10 machine to test with in a few days.
[Reply]
htismaqe 11:03 AM 08-31-2020
My whole thing may have gotten a bit easier.

I did find a version of VMWare Player, explicitly and only for Windows 10, that is free and will run exactly one guest OS - in my case Windows XP.

My daughter wants to setup her new machine tonight and then I'll start reclaiming her old one. Might be a few days to back up her data and get everything up and running but I'm hopeful.

Reading the results from others that have tried it specifically with my target games, it looks promising.
[Reply]
htismaqe 11:40 AM 08-31-2020
I do have a question for you Windows guys - it's been a long time since I've worked with Windows.

The PC I have shipped with a 1TB HDD. I want to replace it with a 500GB SSD that I have sitting here doing nothing.

However, I want to preserve the copy of Windows 10 that shipped with the PC, the one loaded on the HDD, because it's an activated copy of Windows.

I have a licensed version of AEOMI Backupper that says it will allow me to clone system partitions to unlike hardware. Should I just do that?
[Reply]
Mephistopheles Janx 03:03 PM 08-31-2020
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
I do have a question for you Windows guys - it's been a long time since I've worked with Windows.

The PC I have shipped with a 1TB HDD. I want to replace it with a 500GB SSD that I have sitting here doing nothing.

However, I want to preserve the copy of Windows 10 that shipped with the PC, the one loaded on the HDD, because it's an activated copy of Windows.

I have a licensed version of AEOMI Backupper that says it will allow me to clone system partitions to unlike hardware. Should I just do that?
yup. exactly what you want to do.
[Reply]
crayzkirk 07:20 PM 08-31-2020
As far as SafeDisc goes; there are multiple work arounds. One involves forcing Windows 10 to load the driver in a developer mode. There's also various programs which will remove the SafeDisc wrapper.

For copying Windows to a new drive, there are lots of free programs to do it. I remember using xcopy with the switches to copy hidden/system files. Then an fdisk/mbr to make the drive bootable...
[Reply]
Page 2 of 3
< 12 3 >
Up