ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2 of 3
< 12 3 >
Nzoner's Game Room>RIP Willie Mays
SHOWTIME 07:04 PM 06-18-2024

It is with great sadness that we announce that San Francisco Giants Legend and Hall of Famer Willie Mays passed away peacefully this afternoon at the age of 93. pic.twitter.com/Qk4NySCFZQ

— SFGiants (@SFGiants) June 19, 2024

[Reply]
IowaHawkeyeChief 07:47 PM 06-18-2024
What a great life and what a great athlete. RIP Willie, Godspeed.
[Reply]
Al Bundy 08:00 PM 06-18-2024
Willie Mays is the greatest player of all time.
[Reply]
Rain Man 08:15 PM 06-18-2024
I never really followed baseball, but I think he may have been the first baseball player I knew about. He was a symbol of baseball when I was learning about the sport.
[Reply]
Hamwallet 08:21 PM 06-18-2024
My dad grew up outside SF in the 50’s. My grandpa took him to several games. I was talking to him tonight on the phone and he was pretty sad. We lost a good one today boys!
[Reply]
Smed1065 08:22 PM 06-18-2024
RIP.
[Reply]
EPodolak 08:41 PM 06-18-2024
RIP to the great Say Hey Kid.
[Reply]
big nasty kcnut 08:54 PM 06-18-2024
RIP TO THE SAY HEY KID.
[Reply]
BigRedChief 09:10 PM 06-18-2024
My Dad told me I saw him play in San Fran. He said all I did was complain about being cold. Since I was 2, no remembrance of attending.

RIP Willie
[Reply]
alanm 09:50 PM 06-18-2024
I'm old enough to remember watching Willie in the late 60's early 70's. Even at the end of his career he was still damn good. Say Hey to Hank Willie RIP.
[Reply]
alanm 09:53 PM 06-18-2024
Originally Posted by ChiefsCountry:
Willie Mays final All-Star game in 1973 at Royals Stadium
2 of the greatest there ever was. :-)
[Reply]
BlackHelicopters 11:00 PM 06-18-2024
Top five all time. R. I. P.
[Reply]
Coogs 05:34 AM 06-19-2024
Originally Posted by alanm:
I'm old enough to remember watching Willie in the late 60's early 70's. Even at the end of his career he was still damn good. Say Hey to Hank Willie RIP.
Same here, except probably started around '63 (turned 7 in August) or '64 (obviously turned 8 in August) with watching. It's probably hard to believe now days, but back then there was one game a week televised. There was a lead in show called This Week in Baseball. It was must watch for me, as that is where you hoped to see the highlights you read about in the newspaper all week. It was one of the only places you could see players like Willie Mays maybe for weeks at a time. And it is why All-Star games back in the day were huge. One day a year where you knew you could see all your hero's.

There weren't playoffs then either. Just the World Series. And most of those games were day games. So if it was a week day game and you were in school, you didn't get to see those either.

It was a great era, and Mays was the best of the best!

RIP Willie Mays!!!
[Reply]
chiefzilla1501 05:59 AM 06-19-2024
I know the Babe is often argued to be the best player of all time, but I think it was Willie Mays. Could do absolutely everything on offense and defense. RIP.
[Reply]
Mr_Tomahawk 06:01 AM 06-19-2024
An athletics pillar.

RIP
[Reply]
alanm 12:48 PM 06-19-2024
Originally Posted by Coogs:
Same here, except probably started around '63 (turned 7 in August) or '64 (obviously turned 8 in August) with watching. It's probably hard to believe now days, but back then there was one game a week televised. There was a lead in show called This Week in Baseball. It was must watch for me, as that is where you hoped to see the highlights you read about in the newspaper all week. It was one of the only places you could see players like Willie Mays maybe for weeks at a time. And it is why All-Star games back in the day were huge. One day a year where you knew you could see all your hero's.

There weren't playoffs then either. Just the World Series. And most of those games were day games. So if it was a week day game and you were in school, you didn't get to see those either.

It was a great era, and Mays was the best of the best!

RIP Willie Mays!!!
Coogs You guys got hosed then. I grew up in Omaha. If there were WS games in the afternoon teachers would wheel in the big old TV's on a rolling cart and we would get to watch the games in class. Didn't hurt much either that St. Louis was often playing with Bob Gibson pitching since he was from Omaha. :-)
[Reply]
Page 2 of 3
< 12 3 >
Up