ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2 of 15
< 12 345612 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Red Dirt Juke Box
Iowanian 10:12 PM 01-13-2015
Sturgil Simpson is also one of my favorites. He used to play with a band called Sunday Valley. I'll do a post if someone else doesn't soon. Medicine Springs, Life Ain't Fair, King Turd, Turtles all the way down....are the places to start with his music.

Others I intend to itroduce are the Dirty River Boys, John D Hale Band, Stoney Larue, Cody Canada and the Departed, Wade Bowen, Randy Rodgers, Hellbound Glory, Jason Eady, Casey Donahue and Pat Green. There are several other artists in the texas music top 40 that I'm not familiar with at this time.
[Reply]
Mr. Flopnuts 10:27 PM 01-13-2015
I was interested to learn that medicine springs was a remake of an old song.
[Reply]
Iowanian 10:36 PM 01-13-2015
You'll find quite a few of the most popular songs are remakes from other current artists or new spin on old songs.

One of my favorite songs is LA County by John D Hale Band....I can't find a good youtube of any quality....but that's a Lyle Lovett Song, and coincidently, Lyle Lovett is sitting in number 1 on the chart with Pat Green today.
Alot of these bands are friends, and there are a lot of opportunities to see 2-3-4 of the leads playing accoustic in small venues when they aren't touring, and they'll play each other's songs.

Sturgil's version of Medicine Springs is awesome. I can't embed video from ipad or I would.

Some of these guys, I much prefer live....prime example is Jason Eady. I enjoy his live stuff much more than the production sound.

IF you're wanting to "cruise" Red Dirt songs, do a youtube search of "Music Fog" sessions.
[Reply]
Mr. Flopnuts 10:39 PM 01-13-2015
I ADORE Sturgill's remake of Medicine Springs. One of the few songs where I like the remake better than the original. He is far and away my favorite artist of any genre right now. Has been for months.
[Reply]
Buehler445 11:28 PM 01-13-2015
Originally Posted by Iowanian:
Jason Boland ...
Some of my favorites:
Dark and Dirty Mile
Lucky I guess
Cormall County Blues
Blowing Through the Hills
Gallo Del Cielo This song is about a mexican fighting rooster
Bottle by my bed
When I'm stoned (a Colorado resident favorite)
Gear and Dust
Devil Pays in Gold
Noone left to blame
False Accusers Lament

There are many others, but these are the ones I like the best right now.
My favorite two of his are Telephone Romeo and Proud Souls. Dude is one of my favorites.

You know my opinion on Turnpike Troubadours since you turned me onto them. Probably my favorite band of all time at this point.

Originally Posted by lewdog:
Listened to these guys a good amount tonight on youtube.

I'm digging them. Gonna have to find some to add to itunes.

Thanks!
Spotify is your friend. They pretty much don't have a bad song. If you ever get the opportunity, see them live. They are worth it. Mad reps to Iowanian for turning me onto them.
[Reply]
Buehler445 11:38 PM 01-13-2015
Whiskey Myers sings a lot of different kinds of songs, but he's intense man. I like his soulful stuff a little better, but there's a lot of good out there. http://whiskeymyers.com/

Songs I like
Ballad of a Southern Man (I usually hate this "type" song)
Lonely East Texas Nights
Gone Away
Summer 2005
Nobody Knows her Name
[Reply]
Buehler445 11:34 PM 01-13-2015
I'm not sure if they're still at it but, Randy Rogers Band is good. http://www.randyrogersband.com/

They've got a ton of good songs but some of my favorites are

Lost and Found
One Thing I know
Never Be that High
Buy Myself a Chance
In My Arms Instead
Better off Wrong
[Reply]
Buehler445 11:43 PM 01-13-2015
Iowanian mentioned Cody Canada. It's all old, but it broke me into Red Dirt. I'm a big listener of Cross Canadian Ragweed, the band that Cody Canada used to be in.

Other Songs that stand out, but I like pretty much every song by them.
Alabama
Constantly
Cry Lonely
Down
Wanna Rock and Roll
This Time Around
[Reply]
Easy 6 09:48 PM 01-16-2015
Holy shit, oh yeah... that Sturgil Simpson mfer is the REAL deal as well, talk about real country... these new pukes like Aldean and Chesney couldnt hold a candle to him.

That guy is the white Muddy Waters, such a powerful and authentic voice... wow.
[Reply]
Buehler445 05:07 PM 01-17-2015
Cory Morrow has some pretty respectable music out there. His beat is not really very country, but I really like his stuff.

Probably my favorite song of his....

Another good one.

[Reply]
Buehler445 11:44 PM 01-13-2015
I gotta hit the sack. I'll post some lesser known stuff I like later on.

Good thread Iownian.
[Reply]
Archie F. Swin 06:04 AM 01-14-2015
I live in the heart of Red Dirt country and the hometown of Cody Canada, but I'm criminally out of touch with the genre. I'm a Rock/Rap guy but I'm mildly interested in learning more about RD music. I don't know if he's lumped in with other RD artists, but I'm a big fan of Robert Earl Keen.
[Reply]
Buehler445 08:26 AM 01-14-2015
Originally Posted by Archie F. Swin:
I live in the heart of Red Dirt country and the hometown of Cody Canada, but I'm criminally out of touch with the genre. I'm a Rock/Rap guy but I'm mildly interested in learning more about RD music. I don't know if he's lumped in with other RD artists, but I'm a big fan of Robert Earl Keen.
Keen is red dirt by my estimation. Post up some favorites.
[Reply]
Archie F. Swin 08:45 AM 01-14-2015
Originally Posted by Buehler445:
Keen is red dirt by my estimation. Post up some favorites.

REK's lead guitar player is mutherfucker
[Reply]
Buehler445 09:39 AM 01-14-2015
Aaron Watson is pretty decent. He's got kind of an old school sound to him. There is some of his stuff that doesn't resonate with me, but he's definitely good for a listen.

Other Songs I like:
Raise your bottle
Barbed Wire Halo
Next to Heaven
Whiskey on the Fire
[Reply]
Page 2 of 15
< 12 345612 > Last »
Up