ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 2 of 3
< 12 3 >
Saccopoo Memorial Draft Forum>Mock 2/27/24 - Back to reality
DJ's left nut 09:39 AM 02-27-2024
I'm so close to liking this but I just can't get my head around the idea of 'letting Sneed walk'.

And if you do, it's presumably because you tagged Jones to buy time to work out a deal? Well if you do that and his starting baseline salary for 2024 is $32 million(ish) then there's no way he signs for 3/$84 million. It'll take more than that once you tag him. Which is why you don't tag him, JMHO.

Put a tag/trade of Sneed for a mid/late 2nd and a 4th in there with the thought that the deal gets done quickly and then both Jones and Smith re-sign after the tag money gets traded away and opens back up. Then I can see all that being awfully close to what happens.

Milton is an annoying likely pick at RB but I still feel like he's a little redundant and would sure like something different in that RB2 spot. With him, Pop and Perine you have 3 virtually identical players from a stylistic perspective. I still don't see a guy you turn to if you think you can find an advantage in, say, outside zone. That's why I've become such a fan of Jaylen Wright, but I'd imagine you have him off the board by your pick in the 3rd. You have a tendency to be pretty conservative on the 'available players' list for us. Moreso than me anyway; typically by about a half a round.
[Reply]
Palangi 10:02 AM 02-27-2024
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
I'm so close to liking this but I just can't get my head around the idea of 'letting Sneed walk'.

And if you do, it's presumably because you tagged Jones to buy time to work out a deal? Well if you do that and his starting baseline salary for 2024 is $32 million(ish) then there's no way he signs for 3/$84 million. It'll take more than that once you tag him. Which is why you don't tag him, JMHO.

Put a tag/trade of Sneed for a mid/late 2nd and a 4th in there with the thought that the deal gets done quickly and then both Jones and Smith re-sign after the tag money gets traded away and opens back up. Then I can see all that being awfully close to what happens.

Milton is an annoying likely pick at RB but I still feel like he's a little redundant and would sure like something different in that RB2 spot. With him, Pop and Perine you have 3 virtually identical players from a stylistic perspective. I still don't see a guy you turn to if you think you can find an advantage in, say, outside zone. That's why I've become such a fan of Jaylen Wright, but I'd imagine you have him off the board by your pick in the 3rd. You have a tendency to be pretty conservative on the 'available players' list for us. Moreso than me anyway; typically by about a half a round.
Don’t forget they were high on Deneric Prince last offseason. I’d like to see him as the McKinnon replacement. He has really good hands and can run routes. Hopefully he’s learn to block like McKinnon. But he has game changing speed.

And they seem to be interested in Keontay Ingram as a power back.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 10:08 AM 02-27-2024
Originally Posted by Palangi:
Don’t forget they were high on Deneric Prince last offseason. I’d like to see him as the McKinnon replacement. He has really good hands and can run routes. Hopefully he’s learn to block like McKinnon. But he has game changing speed.

Deneric Prince is a poverty Pacheco and not any sort of McKinnon replacement.

Oh, and he was friggen awful.

I personally wouldn't have bothered to keep Prince on the practice squad. He didn't show anything at all back there.
[Reply]
Palangi 10:24 AM 02-27-2024
Deneric Prince is a poverty Pacheco and not any sort of McKinnon replacement.

Oh, and he was friggen awful.

I personally wouldn't have bothered to keep Prince on the practice squad. He didn't show anything at all back there.
Well he was an UDRFA last year. Let’s see how’s he has progressed. There was buzz in training camp last. So there is something to work with
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 11:11 AM 02-27-2024
Well he was an UDRFA last year. Let’s see how’s he has progressed. There was buzz in training camp last. So there is something to work with
I have no opposition to him challenging Perine for the RB3 spot on the team.

I don't see any reason to consider him as more than a camp body in that regard, though.
[Reply]
raybec 4 11:09 AM 02-27-2024

I'm not sure "they" were as high on Prince as we were. You're correct that he was a UDFA and he played like one. I'm not sure that he showed enough ability to build on in order to get himself a genuine roster spot. WTF do I know though.
[Reply]
Palangi 09:58 AM 02-27-2024
I like it. I’ve really warmed up to Worthy as the pick too.

The one thing I would change is I don’t think the DT from Texas A&M is too redundant with Buggs and Farrell already on roster. I think they look at more of a penetrator to train up behind Chris. Someone like Justin Eboigbe or Gabe Hall.
[Reply]
wachashi 10:19 AM 02-27-2024
The one thing I would change is I don’t think the DT from Texas A&M is too redundant with Buggs and Farrell already on roster. I think they look at more of a penetrator to train up behind Chris. Someone like Justin Eboigbe or Gabe Hall.
The coaching staff liked Nnadi and Pennel over Farrell in our biggest games. That says a lot.

Buggs is nothing more than a depth piece if you look at his NFL career.

We will address the NT position beyond Farrell and Buggs either in free agency or the draft.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 10:22 AM 02-27-2024
Originally Posted by wachashi:
The coaching staff liked Nnadi and Pennel over Farrell in our biggest games. That says a lot.

Buggs is nothing more than a depth piece if you look at his NFL career.

We will address the NT position beyond Farrell and Buggs either in free agency or the draft.
If my memory serves, they paid Buggs more than the futures minimum to retain him. It does kinda suggest they might have a plan for him. And they played Farrell in the SB at least over Dickerson (they didn't do that against Buffalo so they quickly pivoted after that debacle).

And he played quite well.

I think they have a nice little NT rotation they could build from those two. You won't get a ton, but you don't need a ton from NT in this system. They're just there to take up space and both guys can do that.
[Reply]
wachashi 11:02 AM 02-27-2024
If my memory serves, they paid Buggs more than the futures minimum to retain him. It does kinda suggest they might have a plan for him. And they played Farrell in the SB at least over Dickerson (they didn't do that against Buffalo so they quickly pivoted after that debacle).

And he played quite well.

I think they have a nice little NT rotation they could build from those two. You won't get a ton, but you don't need a ton from NT in this system. They're just there to take up space and both guys can do that.
I'll be surprised if we don't bring in another 300-pounder, either through the draft or free agency. I see Buggs battling with Farrell for the backup/rotational spot through camp. Those guys don't grow on trees, so having depth there is just a smart move.

McKinnley Jackson is a nice pick here, I think.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 11:12 AM 02-27-2024
Originally Posted by wachashi:
I'll be surprised if we don't bring in another 300-pounder, either through the draft or free agency. I see Buggs battling with Farrell for the backup/rotational spot through camp. Those guys don't grow on trees, so having depth there is just a smart move.

McKinnley Jackson is a nice pick here, I think.
It's still very strange to me they never found a use for Coburn.

Having to use even a 3rd day pick to grab a guy who I don't think is going to be the caliber of player that Coburn can be is just frustrating.

That was a mismanaged asset, IMO.
[Reply]
Mecca 12:25 PM 02-27-2024
LT is one of the spots that is extremely iffy, it's basically trade up for a LT, start Wanya Morris...bring back Donovan or sign Tyron Smith and pray he can play 13 games and in the playoffs.
[Reply]
kccrow 12:30 PM 02-27-2024
I disagree largely on any thought that we're fine at NT. I think Buggs could be a player there, and he should be a factor, but we rotate our NTs about 50/50 and, IIRC, they see around 40-45% of snaps each. So, you need 2 guys there. The remaining percentage are pass rushers kicking inside on passing downs.

Buggs though, has 1 year starting in his 5 seasons in the league. Farrell hasn't shown me anything that suggests he's 1b at the position. I think he's a retainable piece you continue to develop, but I think we need a guy who can play some serious snaps.

As for another 3-tech, I desperately wanted to add a 2nd DT in the draft. Maybe I would if I took DJ's take to the bank and traded Sneed.

Now, I can see a path where DJ's take has merit in that you can let it ride on Hardman, Smith, and Tranquill and just tag Sneed and find a partner. If you lose any of those 3 in the process then you're not out so much you can't make it up with another option. The only issue is there aren't many options outside of Smith at LT and if you do lose him that "other option" just might need to be a higher draft pick. I'd like to avoid that scenario. I don't think you let Chris Jones start chasing deals in FA, you have to lock him up ASAP. There are teams flush with cash that will give him more than KC can.
[Reply]
JPH83 04:30 PM 02-27-2024
Originally Posted by kccrow:
I disagree largely on any thought that we're fine at NT. I think Buggs could be a player there, and he should be a factor, but we rotate our NTs about 50/50 and, IIRC, they see around 40-45% of snaps each. So, you need 2 guys there. The remaining percentage are pass rushers kicking inside on passing downs.

Buggs though, has 1 year starting in his 5 seasons in the league. Farrell hasn't shown me anything that suggests he's 1b at the position. I think he's a retainable piece you continue to develop, but I think we need a guy who can play some serious snaps.

As for another 3-tech, I desperately wanted to add a 2nd DT in the draft. Maybe I would if I took DJ's take to the bank and traded Sneed.

Now, I can see a path where DJ's take has merit in that you can let it ride on Hardman, Smith, and Tranquill and just tag Sneed and find a partner. If you lose any of those 3 in the process then you're not out so much you can't make it up with another option. The only issue is there aren't many options outside of Smith at LT and if you do lose him that "other option" just might need to be a higher draft pick. I'd like to avoid that scenario. I don't think you let Chris Jones start chasing deals in FA, you have to lock him up ASAP. There are teams flush with cash that will give him more than KC can.
If you don't add Hurst in one of your mocks I'm going to start to take it personally kccrow! There's the cheap "do a bit of it all" guy. Sure it's for a out 300 snaps before he breaks but whatever
[Reply]
tyton75 04:58 PM 02-27-2024
I like it, just feel like Worthy is another Rice and I'd prefer a true X like Adonai Mitchell.. but again.. pretty solid
[Reply]
Page 2 of 3
< 12 3 >
Up