Pitcher

Edit:
Matheny fired 07/14/2018

Opening Day Roster
Spoiler!

[Reply]
Swanman 11:50 AM 08-16-2018
Originally Posted by BigRedChief:
If we had been 7-8 games over .500, Matheny doesn't get fired and a lot of these players don't even see the field or would not have the same playing time as now under Schildt,

We are now moving forward instead of stuck in the damn "meh" brand of baseball.
Shitloads of team control with our young players that can actually play. I went from not giving half a damn to being very invested in this team again in a span of like 3 weeks. Maybe I am jumping the gun here, but I wouldn't mind the Cards giving the whole coaching staff contracts right now. I would much rather see Schildt in the dugout next year than a "name" like Girardi, who is basically Matheny Jr.
[Reply]
VAChief 12:31 PM 08-16-2018
Originally Posted by Swanman:
Jordan Hicks - 21
Paul DeJong - 25
Luke Weaver - 24
Harrison Bader - 24
Tyler O'Neill - 23
Jack Flaherty - 22
Dakota Hudson - 23
Austin Gomber - 24
Mike Mayers - 26
Daniel Poncedeleon - 26
John Gant - 26
Alex Reyes - 23

It's one thing to have young players but a whole other animal to have young players that produce. That list excludes Martinez, Wong and Ozuna who are 26, 27 and 27 respectively.
Wacha is 27 too. Heck the old man (excluding Waino, who I hope sees the handwriting on the wall) is Mikolas at 29. That's a heckuva lot of young arms that have shown promise. That is a great foundation to build from and around.
[Reply]
VAChief 12:36 PM 08-16-2018
Originally Posted by Swanman:
Shitloads of team control with our young players that can actually play. I went from not giving half a damn to being very invested in this team again in a span of like 3 weeks. Maybe I am jumping the gun here, but I wouldn't mind the Cards giving the whole coaching staff contracts right now. I would much rather see Schildt in the dugout next year than a "name" like Girardi, who is basically Matheny Jr.
If the reports leaking from players are accurate, they seem to be responding well. I would say if he guides them through this gauntlet coming up of winning teams and gets them a WC berth, it would be stupid to not give him a shot next year with the other coaches that supported this turnaround.

You know, these are basically the guys that built that minor league winning tradition that we have enjoyed the past decade. Matheny bypassed all of that when they hired him without any experience. These guys know how to teach and take what they are given talent wise and win (despite often getting your roster raided by the big club). I

I guess it shouldn't surprise us that the players would respond positively to that atmosphere. It is what a lot of them experienced on the way here.
[Reply]
BigRedChief 04:07 PM 08-16-2018
Originally Posted by VAChief:
Wacha is 27 too. Heck the old man (excluding Waino, who I hope sees the handwriting on the wall) is Mikolas at 29. That's a heckuva lot of young arms that have shown promise. That is a great foundation to build from and around.
I didn’t see much of this coming. As I’ve said many times statistics like fWar etc I know what they mean but don’t fully understand analyzing trends using that big data. That said......

Where was the predictions on Bader? He had speed but I looked at his number and it was 55/70. 50 is normal.+ defender but not outstanding. Hudson had + stuff but nothing to get excited about and he won’t miss many bats. I could go on about most of these new players from Memphis that are playing way better than predicted.

Small sample size notwithstanding, those who know, why did big data and analytics under value these players?
[Reply]
VAChief 04:25 PM 08-16-2018
I didn’t see much of this coming. As I’ve said many times statistics like fWar etc I know what they mean but don’t fully understand analyzing trends using that big data. That said......

Where was the predictions on Bader? He had speed but I looked at his number and it was 55/70. 50 is normal.+ defender but not outstanding. Hudson had + stuff but nothing to get excited about and he won’t miss many bats. I could go on about most of these new players from Memphis that are playing way better than predicted.

Small sample size notwithstanding, those who know, why did big data and analytics under value these players?
Many scouts had Bader listed at plus speed, one source I saw listed him as 60 which is more notable, but I agree he was undervalued there. Keep in mind you don’t have Statcast type analytics normally at amateur levels. He certainly should have been rated higher for arm and defense. We should be glad, we got a steal in the 3rd round.

I’m not surprised by Gomber, Gant, Weaver, Flaherty. They all had successful, projectable numbers that should be playable at the major league levels. I don’t see them as necessarily top of the rotation guys, but if they all hang as starters that is a tribute to our scouting and development guys.

I’m with Hamas, we should avoid the temptation to go after free agent relievers even guys like Chapman.
[Reply]
BigRedChief 04:43 PM 08-16-2018
Originally Posted by VAChief:

I’m with Hamas, we should avoid the temptation to go after free agent relievers even guys like Chapman.
I bet we don’t see Mo go after any expensive relievers ever again. He should have learned his lesson.
[Reply]
BigRedChief 04:43 PM 08-16-2018

The Cardinals have the best record in the National League since they fired their manager. Here’s what has changed. (Other than just firing the manager.) https://t.co/lo1Wx65SF3

— Will Leitch (@williamfleitch) August 16, 2018

[Reply]
'Hamas' Jenkins 05:39 PM 08-16-2018
Some absolute butchery by the umpires in the top of the first created a one-run deficit.
[Reply]
'Hamas' Jenkins 05:58 PM 08-16-2018
Weaver is just shit.
[Reply]
BigRedChief 06:02 PM 08-16-2018
Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins:
Some absolute butchery by the umpires in the top of the first created a one-run deficit.
how was that not reviewable?

Was it even fair?
[Reply]
Jewish Rabbi 06:02 PM 08-16-2018
Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins:
Weaver is just shit.
Yup. He’s destined for the bullpen. Can’t even be a back of the rotation guy since it takes him 100 pitches to get thru 4 fucking innings.
[Reply]
Jewish Rabbi 06:56 PM 08-16-2018
Jesus Christ I know we aren’t going to win them all but when did this team come back?
[Reply]
BigRedChief 07:56 PM 08-16-2018
Originally Posted by Jewish Rabbi:
Jesus Christ I know we aren’t going to win them all but when did this team come back?
timely hits with speed by Bader and O’Neill forcing the issue and mistakes.
[Reply]
kcpasco 07:59 PM 08-16-2018
Cecil brings back the Matheny stink. I wish they would just DFA his ass.
[Reply]
Simply Red 08:00 PM 08-16-2018
I understand you guys need another rally monkey? Reporting for duty.
[Reply]
Page 196 of 301
« First < 96146186192193194195196 197198199200206246296 > Last »
Up