ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 19 of 21
« First < 91516171819 2021 >
Nzoner's Game Room>Has our defense been HARSHLY judged?
UChieffyBugger 04:35 PM 09-21-2018
It seems to be in fashion to knock the Chiefs defense. WE as fans slaughter them daily, the local press slaughter then daily, the NATIONAL and INTERNATIONAL media slaughter them daily, and when I sit and think about the circumstances sounding that group, one could argue that they are getting judged a little harshly.

Now let's start with the preseason. Ragland and Hitchens played ONE warm-up together against the Bears and both missed several practice sessions. Nelson got knocked out of the Atlanta game and missed sessions himself, whilst Parker wasn't even In our building during the preseason. Then we have Ford who Is just returning to the team after being out for most of last season, and Houston barely played In the warm-up games himself.

Last year there was a perception that we had "the worst defense known to man", but I argued it was an overblown notion because the reality was that we were around fifteenth In the points allowed tally. But that notion has stuck with the team and now this unit that has barely played together Is thrown together and Is trying to both gel as a unit and get their football legs going all whilst facing TWO quality offenses on the road. The Pats defense started off badly too last year and then managed to be a decent unit until the superbowl where they contrived to drop their best corner, so there is a clear example of how things can change quickly In this game.
[Reply]
htismaqe 09:39 AM 09-28-2018
Originally Posted by Mecca:
Someone needs to tell me what a defensive coordinator is suppose to do when a bad CB group, a safety group that includes a dude that doesn't even know how to play zone and then a front 7 that doesn't get to the QB.

I don't care what plays you call, these guys aren't capable of executing.
Two historic playoff collapses. Somebody has to pay!

Classic scapegoating but oh well. Burn him at the stake.
[Reply]
Mecca 09:41 AM 09-28-2018
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
Two historic playoff collapses. Somebody has to pay!

Classic scapegoating but oh well. Burn him at the stake.
I'll make this reference..

If you played Madden and had a safety that does what Eric Murray does you'd turn the game off and say it was cheating to get the other team back in the game.
[Reply]
RunKC 09:46 AM 09-28-2018
Originally Posted by TEX:
"Had" is key. Does Sutton need a defense full of stars to be successful the same way Alex Smith does in Offense? Why cant he put his players in position to get the most of what he has? Maybe a guy with a different way of doing things could get more out of what's available? I know one thing for sure, Sutton cant.

You may not be naive enough to think that changing coordinators is going to change anything, but you may be to think that it wont...
The Chiefs have had defenses in the top half of the league in points allowed every year with Justin Houston, Dee Ford, DJ and Berry all missing significant time.

I also think this “defense is worst in the league” schtick is a false narrative at this point.

The Chiefs have dominated the 1st quarter 49-6. When it matters they have stepped up.

Again, when it matters they have come through.

I don’t care about garbage time stats. 31-12 with 12 mins left in the game=game over. 35-7= game over.

The Chiefs played prevent the entire 2nd half simply to run out the clock.
[Reply]
TEX 10:02 AM 09-28-2018
Originally Posted by RunKC:
The Chiefs have had defenses in the top half of the league in points allowed every year with Justin Houston, Dee Ford, DJ and Berry all missing significant time.

I also think this “defense is worst in the league” schtick is a false narrative at this point.

The Chiefs have dominated the 1st quarter 49-6. When it matters they have stepped up.

Again, when it matters they have come through.

I don’t care about garbage time stats. 31-12 with 12 mins left in the game=game over. 35-7= game over.

The Chiefs played prevent the entire 2nd half simply to run out the clock.

Yet - When it mattered most, the Chiefs defense failed.... Stats can be what you make them. Trust your eyes man...
[Reply]
htismaqe 10:03 AM 09-28-2018
Stats can be what you make them. Trust your eyes man...
I totally trust my eyes. This team doesn't have a scheme problem, it has a severe talent problem.
[Reply]
TEX 10:04 AM 09-28-2018
I totally trust my eyes. This team doesn't have a scheme problem, it has a severe talent problem.
Trust BOTH of your eyes. This team has both, friend.
[Reply]
htismaqe 10:06 AM 09-28-2018
Trust BOTH of your eyes. This team has both, friend.
No, it doesn't. I watched this defense carry this team for 4 years. I know exactly what is going on.
[Reply]
TEX 10:08 AM 09-28-2018
No, it doesn't. I watched this defense carry this team for 4 years. I know exactly what is going on.

It has both a talent and scheme problem now. Players on hand, cant run the scheme. That's TWO problems.
[Reply]
htismaqe 10:12 AM 09-28-2018
It has both a talent and scheme problem now. Players on hand, cant run the scheme. That's TWO problems.
If the scheme could be adjusted in a way that the existing players could run it, you'd have a scheme problem.

They can't play man and they can't play zone. No amount of scheming can fix that.
[Reply]
Mecca 10:13 AM 09-28-2018
I don't really know what people are expecting this team still has huge secondary problems in a passing league.

Honestly the defense hasn't been as good since Sean Smith left, why cause they've had a gaping hole over there.
[Reply]
ToxSocks 10:15 AM 09-28-2018
One thing we can't deny is that defense is gone this season.

The NFL defense has adapted to the PI rule changes and this is what it looks like.

QB's almost across the board are having career years and breaking records.

Even two of the top defenses in the league got torched for over 400 yards passing last night.

After these first three weeks it's pretty clear that the NFL is an offensive sprint. Defenses, no matter how stacked, can't keep up with a decent passing attack. The best passing attack will win the SB.
[Reply]
htismaqe 10:16 AM 09-28-2018
Originally Posted by Detoxing:
One thing we can't deny is that defense is gone this season.

The NFL defense has adapted to the PI rule changes and this is what it looks like.

QB's almost across the board are having career years and breaking records.

Even two of the top defenses in the league got torched for over 400 yards passing last night.

After these first three weeks it's pretty clear that the NFL is an offensive sprint. Defenses, no matter how stacked, can't keep up with a decent passing attack. The best passing attack will win the SB.
The NFL is on pace to break every passing and QB record this year. Nearly every single one. If that's not a sea change, nothing is.
[Reply]
ToxSocks 10:20 AM 09-28-2018
The NFL is on pace to break every passing and QB record this year. Nearly every single one. If that's not a sea change, nothing is.
Yup. It seems like every D in the NFL is in "Just try to hang in there" mode.

Our D needs to keep trying to hang in there. Because if you're going against any of the top 15 passing attacks in the league then you can expect to get torched.
[Reply]
Mecca 10:20 AM 09-28-2018
Basically you assemble a top offense and hope your defense can grab a few stops. Spending a lot of money on a defense like say Jacksonville has is a losing proposition because if your offense stagnates the odds of you winning with 17 points are very small.
[Reply]
RaidersOftheCellar 10:20 AM 09-28-2018
Wade Phillips is generally recognized as a defensive genius. He also has not just talent but All-Pro talent at every level of his defense.

And gave up 462 yards and 3 TDs to Kirk Cousins.
You're pointing to 1 poor game in which their top corner was out (and the other maybe not 100%)?
[Reply]
Page 19 of 21
« First < 91516171819 2021 >
Up