ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 19 of 82
« First < 91516171819 202122232969 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Restaurants of yesteryear
Simply Red 08:33 PM 11-01-2006
What Restaurants did you grow up around? I'm not talking super fancy and yes fast-food counts. What distinctive memories do you associate with them?

Mine?

Taco Via-(the lit up menu of the various taco plates displayed on the wall), WhiteCastle-On a paper plate with fries and Pepsi, Arthur Treachers(off Noland), Tippins(off Noland), Perkins(the free toy well), Country Deli(awesome local deli to Blue Springs heated sandwiches on Sourdough buns), Zarda BBQ and Dairy, FunHouse Pizza(of Course)(Dark. Video- Games,Electonic Riding Bull and 25-cent Taco night) Annes Sante Fe.

Keep in mind I never see these anymore living in Georgia.

[Reply]
BIG_DADDY 10:51 AM 01-19-2007
Originally Posted by runnercyclist:
LOL I remember Sambo's. The little black babies on the wall. Not PC at all. That would get picketed if it opened today. Jesse Jackson RIP.

Snow White was our family eat out spot in STJ, that and the D&G. They made a mean Rachael Sandwich.
The original Sambo's is still open it's the only one in the country. It's in Santa Barbara.
Attached: sambosfull2.jpg (27.6 KB) 
[Reply]
mikeyis4dcats. 11:43 AM 01-19-2007
Carol Lee Donuts in Lawrence.....mmm, yum!

Baby Doe's had a fire many years back and closed.
[Reply]
dave0320 11:46 AM 01-19-2007
Roy Rogers and Jack in the Box.
[Reply]
hawkchief 11:55 AM 01-19-2007
Eddy's Loaf & Stein & Marty's BBQ.
[Reply]
Demonpenz 11:56 AM 01-19-2007
there was a place in st joe where they friend a cows brain and you could eat it like a tenderloin. Miller's grill baby!
[Reply]
Pitt Gorilla 11:59 AM 01-19-2007
Originally Posted by Baby Lee:
Actually, it was an Indian kid, taken from a children's book.
Are you sure? My wife's grandmother had a board game called "Little Black Sambo" and it was set in Africa, IIRC.
[Reply]
Baby Lee 12:13 PM 01-19-2007
Originally Posted by Pitt Gorilla:
Are you sure? My wife's grandmother had a board game called "Little Black Sambo" and it was set in Africa, IIRC.
The original story was set in India, referencing Tigers and ghee [clarified butter]. But as it made it's way to America, versions were illustrated with blackface caricatures and the settings in the illustrations were suggestive of Africa.
Still, Sambo's restaurant used pictures congruent with the Indian setting and the Indian character, as noted in BD's post above.
[Reply]
Stewie 12:20 PM 01-19-2007
Originally Posted by mikeyis4dcats.:
Baby Doe's had a fire many years back and closed.
If I remember correctly Baby Doe's was sliding down the hill and it was too expensive to rectify. Of course, maybe they needed some insurance money so they had a fire.
[Reply]
Frosty 12:21 PM 01-19-2007
According to Wikipedia, the Sambo's chain was originally named after a combination of the founders' names. They jumped on the popularity of the books later on. Interestingly, the
Lil Sambo's restaurant in Lincoln City was named after the books and still uses the decorations based on them - PC be damned.
[Reply]
Bob Dole 12:24 PM 01-19-2007
Fried chicken for lunch on Sundays after church at Mar-Lon Cafe in Bronaugh, MO.
[Reply]
mikeyis4dcats. 01:31 PM 01-19-2007
Originally Posted by Stewie:
If I remember correctly Baby Doe's was sliding down the hill and it was too expensive to rectify. Of course, maybe they needed some insurance money so they had a fire.

hmmm, it appears you are correct. I'd have sworn I heard they had a fire.
[Reply]
ndbbm 01:33 PM 01-19-2007
Im skipping through the 280 posts I missed. Rax. I loved that place.
[Reply]
Pitt Gorilla 01:35 PM 01-19-2007
Originally Posted by Bob Dole:
Fried chicken for lunch on Sundays after church at Mar-Lon Cafe in Bronaugh, MO.
Good Lord, Dole. I didn't know other people had actually heard of Bronaugh. I was once kicked out of a little league game for tagging a guy too hard in Bronaugh. Some fat guy in overalls decided I was being "mean" or something.
[Reply]
KC-TBB 01:39 PM 01-19-2007
Anyone remember the Copper Kettle in Raytown? You used to get a free toy from the treasure chest...good times!
[Reply]
Fishpicker 01:07 AM 01-20-2007
Big Cheez pizza. That franchise was bought by Godfather's then it became pretty inedible. back when it was Big Cheez, it was definately the best pizza I had tried.

I miss not having a Taco Tico where I currently live
[Reply]
Page 19 of 82
« First < 91516171819 202122232969 > Last »
Up