ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 187 of 328
« First < 87137177183184185186187 188189190191197237287 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>*** Official 2018 Royals Repository ***
duncan_idaho 09:18 PM 04-06-2018
The season is upon us, even if spring is not.

2018 MLB Draft Picks
#33 - Compensation (Eric Hosmer)
#34 - Compensation (Lorenzo Cain)
#40 (Competitive Balance Round A)

018 Draft Names to Watch

RHP Kumar Rocker, N Oconnee HS, Georgia.
Spoiler!

OF Jarred Kelenic, Waukasha West HS, WI
Spoiler!

1B Triston Casas, American Heritage HS (FL).
Spoiler!

RHP Carter Stewart, Eau de Gallie HS (Ga).
Spoiler!

ANY Any, Any (Any). Any current top projected pick who slides for injury concerns. Includes current top prospect prospect SP Brady Singer, U of Florida.

Current Prospects to Watch:

OF Seuly Matias - Huge tools. Hit 2 HR in Lexington (A) season opener.

1B Nick Pratto - Top pick in 17 has advanced approach and good glove; needs to start tapping into power in first full year in minors. Also at Lexington.

OF Michael Gigliotti - Good defender in CF, good OBP skills, plus baserunner. Next mainstay in CF for KC, IMO. Advanced college bat also starting at Lexington.

OF Khalil Lee - Probably has highest upside in Royals' system. Could hit 30 HR in majors, could steal 30 bases. Plus defensive ability in RF. Nice test at Wilmington this year.

3B Emmanuel Rivera - Really nice approach and good contact skills. Power is still developing. Also getting a good test at Wilmington.

SP Foster Griffin - Made nice strides in 2017. Needs to continue to progress in 2018. Could be a lefty version of Jakob Junis (good breaking ball that he can really manipulate, OK fastball, good command).

1B Samir Duenez - Duenez still is intriguing, hoping for a step forward in his power production this year at Northwest Arkansas, which would turn him into a legit prospect.

Others to keep an eye on:
SP Gerson Garabito (Wilmington), OF Marten Gasparini (Lexington), C MJ Melendez (Lexington), RP Tyler Zuber (lexington), RP Richard Lovelady (Omaha), SP Dan Tillo (Lexington), SS Nicky Lopez (NWA), SP Scott Blewett (NWA), OF Brewer Hicklen (Idaho Falls),

In general, Lexington and Wilmington are the most interesting spots to watch. Nice depth and a lot of interesting pieces at both.
[Reply]
Al Bundy 09:52 PM 07-16-2018
BTW Kyle Isbel is having a night in Idaho Falls...
[Reply]
Canofbier 06:17 AM 07-17-2018
Originally Posted by BWillie:
Its the HR Derby. Who gives a shit
Go bankrupt yourself in online poker. Again.
[Reply]
WhawhaWhat 06:22 AM 07-17-2018
Originally Posted by Canofbier:
jd described it here - clear violations of the rules around when pitching is allowed. Harper's pitcher (his father) was throwing pitches well before the previous hits had landed. He'd have probably won regardless, but it cheapens the whole thing when it's SO clear that nobody bothers to enforce the rules.
Freddie Freeman was doing it in the first round too. It wasn't just one person.
[Reply]
Al Bundy 07:19 AM 07-17-2018

According to our sources, Kyle Isbel has been promoted to Lexington. The 2018 third rounder hit .381/.454/.610 in 25 games with Idaho Falls. Was slashing .439/.511/.683 over his past 10 games.

— Royals Farm Report (@RoyalsFarm) July 17, 2018

[Reply]
Mecca 07:24 AM 07-17-2018
Originally Posted by Al Bundy:

You have to wonder where they view his long term position since if it is in the OF they are already getting somewhat crowded there.
[Reply]
OmahaChief 07:56 AM 07-17-2018
Originally Posted by duncan_idaho:
After doing a little more reading and getting through the excellent big board on Fangraphs https://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/earl...s/#more-288781

I’m not sure Witt will hold up as a consensus top pick. Some questions about his hit tool and he’s old for his class.

The Catcher from Oregon State, Ruschmamnn, May end up being the top guy if he repeats his strong sophomore campaign with the bat.
Can't find the stats now but there was some site that had some really interesting things about the "old for his class" deal. Higher chance at busting seemed to be the thought. If I remember right that was one knocks on Starling.

I saw Adley Rutschman play in Omaha this CWS and that guy can rake. He didn't wow me behind the plate but looks like a good prospect overall.
[Reply]
Sure-Oz 08:31 AM 07-17-2018
@JonHeyman: Breaking; The Dodgers appear to be the leading contender for superstar Manny Machado as talks head toward the finish line. The situation is fluid and brewers and phillies may still have an outside chance. Barring turnabout, deal should be done this week. Story comin on @Fancred

Gotta think moose gets traded shortly after this.
[Reply]
KChiefs1 08:32 AM 07-17-2018
Originally Posted by OmahaChief:
I saw Adley Rutschman play in Omaha this CWS and that guy can rake. He didn't wow me behind the plate but looks like a good prospect overall.

JJ Cooper of Baseball America likes him over Bobby Witt Jr.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 08:39 AM 07-17-2018
In an article about the Royals 2015 international signing class (where they got Matias) there was this little gem...

Originally Posted by :
The Royals were hours away from a deal for Soto but could not secure the funds before he agreed to terms with Washington.
Yeah, that would be Juan Soto. Evidently they were also in the running on Vlad Jr. but were unwilling to match the $3.5 million he eventually signed for.

The Vlad thing happens but man - what does 'unable to secure the funds' even mean? The billionaire owner of a major league team need to call the bank and get his credit line extended or something? That's just odd...
[Reply]
Mecca 08:46 AM 07-17-2018
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
In an article about the Royals 2015 international signing class (where they got Matias) there was this little gem...

Yeah, that would be Juan Soto. Evidently they were also in the running on Vlad Jr. but were unwilling to match the $3.5 million he eventually signed for.

The Vlad thing happens but man - what does 'unable to secure the funds' even mean? The billionaire owner of a major league team need to call the bank and get his credit line extended or something? That's just odd...
Soto and Vlad JR were literally 1 and 2 on the prospects list until Soto went up...that's crazy.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 08:50 AM 07-17-2018
Originally Posted by Mecca:
Soto and Vlad JR were literally 1 and 2 on the prospects list until Soto went up...that's crazy.
You sure?

Soto was in A ball to start the year and missed almost all of 2017. He was in the mid-20s in most pre-season lists and had been promoted off of them by the time the mid-season lists came out.

Acuna and Vlad were 1-2 on all pre-season lists with Freddie Tatis in 3rd on most of them, IIRC. Forrest Whitley was generally the top pitching prospect until his PED suspension.

I don't recall Soto being as much as a top 20 guy anywhere I looked.
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 09:09 AM 07-17-2018

My understanding is they would have had to go over 3.5 for Vladito due to his relationship with Toronto.

The Royals top 4 2015 prospects were Vladito, Soto, Acuna, and Matias.

Scouts were on point. Suspect they probably had less set aside for international signings that year than normal... and paying the tax for blowing it out.
[Reply]
Ebolapox 09:10 AM 07-17-2018
Originally Posted by OmahaChief:
Can't find the stats now but there was some site that had some really interesting things about the "old for his class" deal. Higher chance at busting seemed to be the thought. If I remember right that was one knocks on Starling.

Rany wrote about it a while back

http://www.ranyontheroyals.com/2011/...f-age.html?m=1
[Reply]
Mecca 09:12 AM 07-17-2018
You sure?

Soto was in A ball to start the year and missed almost all of 2017. He was in the mid-20s in most pre-season lists and had been promoted off of them by the time the mid-season lists came out.

Acuna and Vlad were 1-2 on all pre-season lists with Freddie Tatis in 3rd on most of them, IIRC. Forrest Whitley was generally the top pitching prospect until his PED suspension.

I don't recall Soto being as much as a top 20 guy anywhere I looked.
Ah ok, I just heard a baseball america guy in the radio and he implied that they were 1-2 until Soto went up.
[Reply]
DJ's left nut 09:17 AM 07-17-2018
Originally Posted by duncan_idaho:
My understanding is they would have had to go over 3.5 for Vladito due to his relationship with Toronto.

The Royals top 4 2015 prospects were Vladito, Soto, Acuna, and Matias.

Scouts were on point. Suspect they probably had less set aside for international signings that year than normal... and paying the tax for blowing it out.
The article doesn't mention Acuna but says their top 4 that summer were Vlad, Soto, Matias and Jeison Guzman.
[Reply]
Page 187 of 328
« First < 87137177183184185186187 188189190191197237287 > Last »
Up