ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 185 of 3903
« First < 85135175181182183184185 1861871881891952352856851185 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
FD 04:10 PM 03-12-2020
Originally Posted by TLO:
I think I've asked this in the thread before, but never got an answer. Maybe someone can answer now.

If the outbreak is so bad in the US. And we're so far in the shadows about the actual number of the population that have the virus, why aren't healthcare facilities already overrun? Why aren't old people dying at alarming rates all over the country due to people visiting with the virus like they did in Washington? Forget the testing - how would someone miss all of these obvious signs?

Could it be because it isn't being spread everywhere at an alarming rate?
There is a lag. On Feb 22 there were 62 cases in Italy and everyone was carrying on like normal. Now, less than 2 and half weeks later there are 12,462 reported cases and 827 dead.
[Reply]
SupDock 04:13 PM 03-12-2020
This is a post I made in DC about H1N1 vs Covid-19. Selfishly I'm going to repost it for visibility, as we are talking about how it's not widespread yet. The interesting thing is how under-reported deaths and cases were of H1N1 by WHO and the CDC
The initial report was 20k deaths by the WHO, now we think it was 200k plus.
USA reported 4k deaths in the first 6 months of the virus.

That's not even comparable.*
The first H1N1 case was April 15th. Keep in mind that this disease was first found in the USA, not another country.*

By June 19th ( 2 months later), there were cases in 50 states
Towards the end of June we had 1 million US cases estimated.*

In October H1N1 resurged, and the CDC issued a report estimating 4000 people had died by that point in the USA

https://www.cdc.gov/h1n1flu/estimate...October_17.htm

Report showing 4k deaths.*

WHO stated the pandemic ended August of that next year (16 months total),*

The WHO official tally was 19k deaths across the country, but more recent analysis estimates it was 200k or more

https://journals.plos.org/plosmedici...l.pmed.1001558

The current Covid-19 death toll is 4600*
First case was likely in the beginning of December 2019*** thx Dirk
The First US case was announce January 21st, the first person to person spread was on January 30

This virus is very fresh.
[Reply]
BigRedChief 04:20 PM 03-12-2020
Originally Posted by KChiefs1:
Michael Osterholm:

Fatties are in trouble!

https://youtu.be/cZFhjMQrVts
good thing I lost 100 lbs. bad thing, I’m still fat.
[Reply]
dirk digler 04:24 PM 03-12-2020
Originally Posted by FD:
There is a lag. On Feb 22 there were 62 cases in Italy and everyone was carrying on like normal. Now, less than 2 and half weeks later there are 12,462 reported cases and 827 dead.
But the first cases were after ours, January 30th and their first death was February 23rd or so
[Reply]
Monticore 04:26 PM 03-12-2020
Originally Posted by SupDock:
I would be surprised if there wasn't at least one ventilator for surgical cases, etc. Granted, if no one knows how to run it, why have it.
We had an 4 bed ICU when I started there in 96 and had a ventilator up until maybe 5 years ago, but with funding cuts and cost of healthcare skyrocketing, we have had to lose some services.We have lost our ICU, fluoroscopy suite , echo ultrasound , general surgeon, internal medicine over the years.
[Reply]
patteeu 04:27 PM 03-12-2020
Originally Posted by dirk digler:
Yep, my nose itches all the time now.
The facepalms some of you people (present company excluded) cause me are going to kill me.
[Reply]
dirk digler 04:28 PM 03-12-2020
This is a post I made in DC about H1N1 vs Covid-19. Selfishly I'm going to repost it for visibility, as we are talking about how it's not widespread yet. The interesting thing is how under-reported deaths and cases were of H1N1 by WHO and the CDC
The initial report was 20k deaths by the WHO, now we think it was 200k plus.
USA reported 4k deaths in the first 6 months of the virus.

That's not even comparable.*
The first H1N1 case was April 15th. Keep in mind that this disease was first found in the USA, not another country.*

By June 19th ( 2 months later), there were cases in 50 states
Towards the end of June we had 1 million US cases estimated.*

In October H1N1 resurged, and the CDC issued a report estimating 4000 people had died by that point in the USA

https://www.cdc.gov/h1n1flu/estimate...October_17.htm

Report showing 4k deaths.*

WHO stated the pandemic ended August of that next year (16 months total),*

The WHO official tally was 19k deaths across the country, but more recent analysis estimates it was 200k or more

https://journals.plos.org/plosmedici...l.pmed.1001558

The current Covid-19 death toll is 4600*
First case was likely in the beginning of 2020
The First US case was announce January 21st, the first person to person spread was on January 30

This virus is very fresh.
According to the time line the first case was on Dec 1, 2019

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeli...3_January_2020
[Reply]
Donger 04:28 PM 03-12-2020
Originally Posted by Monticore:
We had an 4 bed ICU when I started there in 96 and had a ventilator up until maybe 5 years ago, but with funding cuts and cost of healthcare skyrocketing, we have had to lose some services.We have lost our ICU, fluoroscopy suite , echo ultrasound , general surgeon, internal medicine over the years.
Must
resist
making
comment...
[Reply]
SupDock 04:31 PM 03-12-2020
According to the time line the first case was on Dec 1, 2019

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeli...3_January_2020
I stand corrected. Thanks

My stupid fat thumbs gave you a thumbs down. Was meant to be up
[Reply]
dirk digler 04:36 PM 03-12-2020
New study details first known person-to-person coronavirus transmission in the US
From CNN’s Arman Azad

Originally Posted by :
A woman who traveled from China to Illinois in mid-January likely transmitted novel coronavirus to her husband through "prolonged, unprotected contact," according to research released Thursday.

None of more than 300 people who came into contact with the two patients after they showed symptoms, however, developed symptoms of their own.

The findings, published in the medical journal The Lancet, detail the first known transmission of novel coronavirus in the United States, and suggest that the virus may transmit most easily through extended contact with infected people, not brief or casual exposures.

Dr. Jennifer Layden, the chief medical officer of the Chicago Department of Public Health, who co-led the research, stressed that health care providers should still "rapidly triage and isolate individuals suspected of having [the virus]" and notify local health departments.

That's because, according to the study, "infection control measures within the hospital setting and an aggressive public health response" to these first cases might have prevented widespread coronavirus exposure. And it's possible that other patients — those with more severe illness, for example — may transmit the virus more easily.

The researchers cautioned that their findings are preliminary and based on a single transmission event, which might not represent the population at large.

The study had other limitations, too. Because they relied on memories to reconstruct people's movements, investigators might not have identified everybody who came into contact with the coronavirus patients.

[Reply]
Discuss Thrower 04:36 PM 03-12-2020
I stand corrected. Thanks

My stupid fat thumbs gave you a thumbs down. Was meant to be up
Evened out.
[Reply]
TLO 04:38 PM 03-12-2020
Originally Posted by Donger:
Well, it takes ~14 days for symptoms to show up after infection. That's when people will really start hitting the hospitals. That takes us up to right about now to see potentially explosive case increases. I think the next two to four weeks are going to be indicative to how bad it's going to get.
There were experts (I think experts, maybe just people) claiming the virus had been circulating for 4 to 6 weeks in Washington State before the first diagnosed case. Yet there's still no giant boom. Yes Washington has been hit hard, but it still seems manageable. Nothing super out of control.
[Reply]
staylor26 04:38 PM 03-12-2020
New study details first known person-to-person coronavirus transmission in the US
From CNN’s Arman Azad
Now if this is true what O.City is saying makes sense.
[Reply]
Donger 04:39 PM 03-12-2020
When did the thumb up and down buttons appear?

:-)
[Reply]
BigRedChief 04:40 PM 03-12-2020
This is the issue.
Italy has been asking retired doctors to unretire.

Keep in mind most healthcare providers cannot run a ventilator
and they shouldn’t. One millimeter of pressure/ramp off and you can cause castrophic harm. Most go to school for a year. Then do a residency for another year in hospitals. Take boards. Get licsensed before they ever allow you to control the ventilator.

There isn’t RT’s sitting on their ass at home to call in. What we decided was that the RT’s would be at every emergency location running and making changes on the ventilators. We have more nurses than RT’s. The nurses would take care of some of the ancillary but crucial tasks that RT’s do beside run the ventilators.

suctioning out the fluid out of peoples lungs. Get the bloodwork. That would free up the RT’s to run and make changes on more ventilators.
[Reply]
Page 185 of 3903
« First < 85135175181182183184185 1861871881891952352856851185 > Last »
Up