ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 1827 of 3903
« First < 827132717271777181718231824182518261827 182818291830183118371877192723272827 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
Monticore 11:32 AM 05-04-2020
Originally Posted by Mecca:
What about when about 70% of the country favors staying in lockdown?
If you reopen, restock, rehire, then relapse it could be worse. I think it should be baby steps .
[Reply]
Mecca 11:33 AM 05-04-2020
Originally Posted by Monticore:
If you reopen, restock, rehire, then relapse it could be worse. I think it should be baby steps .
That is essentially my concern if we end up back at square once by jumping so fast so quick it will be far worse, if you tell people we're going back to lockdown the reaction will be far worse.
[Reply]
DaneMcCloud 11:33 AM 05-04-2020
Originally Posted by kgrund:
No question that their could be exceptions. However, it is the overwhelming majority. I have been auditing financial institutions for almost 30 years. I have a pretty good handle on what I am talking about.
Oh, come on, man! There's no way that you know more about financial institutions than pete!

That's crazy talk!
[Reply]
jdubya 11:33 AM 05-04-2020
Originally Posted by DaFace:
What's your feel on where the "acceptable level" of deaths is for this situation?
I think you let the citizens decide. Open up schools again, let all businesses open, let weddings commence and funerals and church services. Our civic leaders can suggest safe practices and social distancing and of course if folks feel uncomfortable that is their prerogative and they can do what they are comfortable doing or not doing. The reason for flattening the curve was to slow the rate of spread as to not overwhelm facilities.....OK, we did it. Now 2 weeks has turned into 8 weeks or longer and economically we are dangerously close to irreparable harm...
[Reply]
IowaHawkeyeChief 11:36 AM 05-04-2020
Do you think clutching to a piece of paper written in the 1700s is a great way to run a country today?
Yes, without a doubt...
[Reply]
SAUTO 11:37 AM 05-04-2020
Originally Posted by Detoxing:
Fuck everyone but me sounds harsh. That's fine. Sometimes reality is harsh.

But when one makes arguments in favor of continuing a lockdown because they're worried they or their family may get sick, well that's a "fuck everyone but me" argument as well.
well it's probably people worrying about everyone getting sick, just speaking from my POV.

so it's actually "fuck the people who dont care about others dying from a virus" i guess
[Reply]
ToxSocks 11:38 AM 05-04-2020
My first inclination is to seriously doubt those numbers because damn near nothing in this country is that one sided. I'd have to ask you to show your work/sources before even considering it to argue against.

Secondly, every decision we make is a selfish decision. Whether its to stay on lockdown to protect the elderly in your family because you're afforded the luxury of that being your primary concern, or wanting to open up because figuring out how to feed your family to the point of relying on Food banks and churches (essentially, allowing your fear to force a family into poverty and homelessness btw) to eat is too stressful and uncertain.

You have your reasons. That guy has his reasons. Your reasons aren't more concerning to him than his own and vice versa.

Blah sorry. The "well i need to protect my elderly" arguments drive me nuts.

EVERYONE has something/someone they are looking to protect.
[Reply]
SAUTO 11:39 AM 05-04-2020
That is essentially my concern if we end up back at square once by jumping so fast so quick it will be far worse, if you tell people we're going back to lockdown the reaction will be far worse.
the people ignoring the shut downs fuck everyone else over. the people who did it right are screwed. the other assholes just kept spreading it and it's still going strong because they didnt shelter in place.

those are the "fuck everyone else but me" crowd
[Reply]
IowaHawkeyeChief 11:40 AM 05-04-2020
That will change quickly when the unemployment number climbs to the predicted 30% and government money runs out...

Shit, in many cases people are making twice what they made working while on unemployment... That doesn't last forever and jobs won't come back if this goes on much longer.
[Reply]
ToxSocks 11:41 AM 05-04-2020
Originally Posted by SAUTO:
well it's probably people worrying about everyone getting sick, just speaking from my POV.

See, that's a concern that you are afforded. I believe that if that's your primary concern then you should consider yourself lucky.

Because people who are actually suffering and struggling through this are worried about their immediate needs, not hoping for the lives of strangers they don't know.
[Reply]
BleedingRed 11:41 AM 05-04-2020
except there would always be a 2nd wave period. Regardless if you delay for how ever long opening things up

It's like you don't live in the real world.
[Reply]
BleedingRed 11:42 AM 05-04-2020
Originally Posted by Detoxing:
See, that's a concern that you are afforded. I believe that if that's your primary concern then you should consider yourself lucky.

Because people who are actually suffering and struggling through this are worried about their immediate needs, not hoping for the lives of strangers they don't know.
This
[Reply]
BleedingRed 11:44 AM 05-04-2020
the people ignoring the shut downs **** everyone else over. the people who did it right are screwed. the other assholes just kept spreading it and it's still going strong because they didnt shelter in place.

those are the "**** everyone else but me" crowd
Oh so man the border with mines/turrets/military? What are you guys not understanding about the word pandemic?

The Shelter in place was to keep hospitals from getting overwhelmed.. Now you think that is a viable strategy to fight the virus (It's not, Science says as much)
[Reply]
IowaHawkeyeChief 11:45 AM 05-04-2020
the people ignoring the shut downs **** everyone else over. the people who did it right are screwed. the other assholes just kept spreading it and it's still going strong because they didnt shelter in place.

those are the "**** everyone else but me" crowd
Seriously, the virus isn't going anywhere and a vaccine is probably 50/50 at best. We flattened the curve as we were told, the balancing point is here... It's not black and white, it's very gray... If you can't see the toll a Depression would have on the US, let along the World, then there is no convincing you as you believe Covid-19 deaths are worth saving more than economic induced deaths around the World, most likely in numbers that Dwarf this virus.
[Reply]
jdubya 11:45 AM 05-04-2020
Do you think clutching to a piece of paper written in the 1700s is a great way to run a country today?
More than ever before. It was written by those who understood tyranny probably better than most today. It`s the near perfect owners manual for running any country. Granted, much of it isnt followed closely any longer
[Reply]
Page 1827 of 3903
« First < 827132717271777181718231824182518261827 182818291830183118371877192723272827 > Last »
Up