ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 178 of 181
« First < 78128168174175176177178 179180181 >
Nzoner's Game Room>****The 2018 NFL Draft Thread**** (No Spoilers)
Dante84 04:15 PM 04-25-2018
Let's ****ing do this.

Last year was a one-of-a-kind, so let's hope the luck carries over to this year, with Brett Veach at the helm for the first time.

Rules:
1. No spoiled picks in this thread, all weekend. This means that as tweets are leaking picks a few minutes before the selection is announced live, you don't post it in this thread (ex: embedded tweets), reference it in this thread (ex: Joe Slapdick says it's McCaffrey to Tampa) or hint at it (ex: "it's a RB!").

Don't be a dick.

Otherwise, have fun, talk shit, freak out and lose your goddamned minds. It's Draft Weekend. The hot takes in these threads are so funny.

I'll also be starting threads for each of our picks as they are made, with videos and notable stats/takes in the OP. Pure knee jerk gold to reference in the future.

*Note: For 2017 hilariousness, view that thread here.
[Reply]
Priest31kc 10:49 PM 04-28-2018
Originally Posted by pugsnotdrugs19:
I think I can see the vision of Andy and Veach with this roster.

1. Build leads early with explosive offense.

2. Shut down opposing running game with stout front 7 and Berry returning. Hitchens, X. Williams, Nnadi, Speaks, etc. can all help with this.

3. Let the pass rush get creative with alignments and assignments while pinning their ears back with ideally a multi-score lead. This is where a front 4 like Houston/Jones/Speaks/Ford comes into play along with Tanoh or Bailey. O’Daniel replaces Sorensen as a great fit as the $ backer.

If all the pieces come together, they could have a very strong team. I think the mindset is already stronger than it was by a long shot.
Yeah this defense is gunna be better than last year. Even without Peters. And we were what, middle of the pack in scoring defense? Didn't give up more than 22 at home all year. Our offense is gunna have 1st halves where they score more than 22.

CBs might be somewhat of a liability and will give up some yards, but every other aspect of the D seems improved. Run D (Hitchens,Nnadi,Williams are huge gets), pass rush (Ford back,Speaks,Tanoh only getting better hopefully) & safety play (Berry,Watts,O'Daniel>>>>>Parker,Sorenson,Murray)

I can see our redzone D getting back to where it was before last year. Berry returning only is huge in that regard, now add a better run D...
[Reply]
RunKC 11:16 PM 04-28-2018
Originally Posted by pugsnotdrugs19:
I think I can see the vision of Andy and Veach with this roster.

1. Build leads early with explosive offense.

2. Shut down opposing running game with stout front 7 and Berry returning. Hitchens, X. Williams, Nnadi, Speaks, etc. can all help with this.

3. Let the pass rush get creative with alignments and assignments while pinning their ears back with ideally a multi-score lead. This is where a front 4 like Houston/Jones/Speaks/Ford comes into play along with Tanoh or Bailey. O’Daniel replaces Sorensen as a great fit as the $ backer.

If all the pieces come together, they could have a very strong team. I think the mindset is already stronger than it was by a long shot.
That’s the plan IMO but idk how it will work. We are relying on a lot of inexperience to guide us this year.

Mahomes and every player drafted this weekend are first year starters. It might be too much to ask that all of these guys transition quickly to the pro game in 2018.
[Reply]
MotherfuckerJones 11:42 PM 04-28-2018
Originally Posted by RunKC:
Matt Miller is good at being a source and talking about prospects. He’s not good at understanding the actual teams.

I watched this on the B/R app and he said he didn’t know where the Chiefs would play O’Daniel.

Come on Matt :-)
I saw that and shook my head. I was bringing up as the end all but rather just a talking head.
[Reply]
htismaqe 11:46 PM 04-28-2018
I do not understand the whole mindset that Amerson sucking is set in stone. He's inconsistent, yes. He's also 26 years old and despite playing for a Raiders team that was in complete disarray, he was one of the better CBs in football 2 years ago. It's a gamble, for sure, but this whole idea that he sucks and is no better than a 4th CB is ridiculous.
[Reply]
Chargem 02:35 AM 04-29-2018
I thought getting a CB was set in stone not exactly because of the group we have right now, but more because of the expected starting 3 only 1 is signed through 2019.

Maybe it was pride, not wanting to trade a corner and then use a load of draft capital to get another one. I really do wonder who the Chiefs were trying to move up for though, rumor was they had talks about getting 32 but who would they have selected if they got there? I can't see them taking anyone who actually went between 33 and 45
[Reply]
Chargem 02:37 AM 04-29-2018
Originally Posted by Gravedigger:
It all revolves around Speaks imo, if he doesn't get to the QB and get 7-10 sacks this year I think we struggle, but hopefully he creates enough havok on one side, to open up Dee Ford or Justin Houston on the other.
I doubt he gets 7-10 sacks unless Ford or Houston get injured very early in the season.
[Reply]
Simply Red 02:52 AM 04-29-2018
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
I do not understand the whole mindset that Amerson sucking is set in stone. He's inconsistent, yes. He's also 26 years old and despite playing for a Raiders team that was in complete disarray, he was one of the better CBs in football 2 years ago. It's a gamble, for sure, but this whole idea that he sucks and is no better than a 4th CB is ridiculous.
I'm glad you're back. (hopefully)

I always enjoyed you around. We were close for that one weekend - where we exchanged recipes and talked about movies. I think our relationship can be rekindled over time this summer.
[Reply]
NJChiefsFan 05:19 AM 04-29-2018
Originally Posted by Best22:
Just like Mitchell and Gaines last year. Except Nelson and Amerson are better, and they also have Eric Berry over the top

Me likey
Amerson could be better. He has shown both sides so far in his career. Nelson was put in the Mitchell/Gaines role last year so it's not like he wasn't part of the secondary that was bad last year. Nelson really isn't improving the talent, just moving from 3 to 2 potentially.

I do think we will be better but Nelson and amerson are far from a lock to improve last season. Not to mention who knows how much of Peters shoes Fuller will fill.
[Reply]
BryanBusby 07:51 AM 04-29-2018
Originally Posted by Simply Red:
I'm glad you're back. (hopefully)

I always enjoyed you around. We were close for that one weekend - where we exchanged recipes and talked about movies. I think our relationship can be rekindled over time this summer.
YSN
[Reply]
Best22 08:11 AM 04-29-2018
Originally Posted by NJChiefsFan:
Amerson could be better. He has shown both sides so far in his career. Nelson was put in the Mitchell/Gaines role last year so it's not like he wasn't part of the secondary that was bad last year. Nelson really isn't improving the talent, just moving from 3 to 2 potentially.

I do think we will be better but Nelson and amerson are far from a lock to improve last season. Not to mention who knows how much of Peters shoes Fuller will fill.
I'm just struggling to see exactly how we got worse. I feel like everyone is still melting from the Peters trade and isn't thinking logically. We had a bad defense last year.

We got rid of old, less productive players like DJ and Hali, replaced them with young guys like Hitchens and Speaks. We added depth (possibly starters) to defensive line with Williams and Nnadi, addressed the "box safety" with O'Daniel. Our 3 opening day corners last year were Peters, Mitchell, and Gaines. Now they are Fuller, Amerson, and Nelson (missed first 8 weeks of 2017). While we dumped Ron Parker, we return Eric Berry who missed 16 games last year including playoffs.

There are far more positives than minuses. And even Peters replacement, Fuller, was a higher rated cornerback in 2017 by PFF than Peters was

I love where this defense is going
[Reply]
Naptown Chief 08:14 AM 04-29-2018
I'm just struggling to see exactly how we got worse. I feel like everyone is still melting from the Peters trade and isn't thinking logically. We had a bad defense last year.

We got rid of old, less productive players like DJ and Hali, replaced them with young guys like Hitchens and Speaks. We added depth (possibly starters) to defensive line with Williams and Nnadi, addressed the "box safety" with O'Daniel. Our 3 opening day corners last year were Peters, Mitchell, and Gaines. Now they are Fuller, Amerson, and Nelson (missed first 8 weeks of 2017). While we dumped Ron Parker, we return Eric Berry who missed 16 games last year including playoffs.

There are far more positives than minuses. And even Peters replacement, Fuller, was a higher rated cornerback in 2017 by PFF than Peters was

Well said.
[Reply]
Buckweath 09:03 AM 04-29-2018
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
The thing is we have no idea what kind of play we will get from Amerson. Sure he could play like a borderline no. 1 CB but he also could be something like Terrance Mitchell last year or even worse. That's a no. 4 CB for me or someone you want to give real competition at least.

Fuller is our no. 1 CB and Nelson is a no. 3 CB.

You can't go into the season and think Amerson is your no. 2 CB if you are serious about challenging for the Superbowl.

And Veach mentioned Will Redmond and Keith Reaser but they are the same as Amerson, maybe they could be good but you are really unsure what you're getting from them.

I will be shocked if Veach doesn't make a trade. I think this defense could be a top 10 defense if he adds a good CB.
[Reply]
NJChiefsFan 10:13 AM 04-29-2018

I was talking this year with the corners and the specific comment about Nelson, amerson, and Fuller.
[Reply]
Best22 10:16 AM 04-29-2018
Originally Posted by NJChiefsFan:
I was talking this year with the corners and the specific comment about Nelson, amerson, and Fuller.
Yes. I think the secondary will be better this year. As will the front 7
[Reply]
KChiefs1 08:57 PM 05-01-2018
FOR PETE'S SAKE

Chiefs' draft grades range from a B to a D-minus from national NFL writers

BY PETE GRATHOFF| PGRATHOFF@KCSTAR.COM

There is no consensus among national NFL writers about how the Chiefs did in the draft.

Among these five grades given to teams following the NFL Draft, which concluded Saturday, the Chiefs' grades range from a B to a D-minus. By comparison, The Star's Terez A. Paylor gave the Chiefs an A.

Here is what the national writers were saying about the Chiefs:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
Page 178 of 181
« First < 78128168174175176177178 179180181 >
Up