ChiefsPlanet Mobile
View Poll Results: What's your preference?
Chris Jones 94 54.34%
1st round draft pick + $20m of other players 74 42.77%
Some other option I will describe in the thread 3 1.73%
Polls are fun! 2 1.16%
Voters: 173. You may not vote on this poll
Page 17 of 20
« First < 71314151617 181920 >
Nzoner's Game Room>Jones vs. 1st Rounder + $20m
DaFace 11:08 AM 02-18-2020
Obviously this is going to be a key discussion this offseason. On The Athletic's podcast (Time's Ours), Nate Taylor said that he's heard that there are multiple teams out there who would give us a 1st round pick for Jones (assuming we tag and trade him), and possibly more than that.

So just to lay out a simplified version of the options:

Option 1:
Chris Jones (probably around $20m per year)

Option 2:
1st round draft pick (cheap for 4-5 years)
$20m worth of other players

For context on how much other players might cost based on recent free agents we've signed:
Clark - $21m
Mathieu - $14m
Hitchens - $9m
Schwartz - $8m
Okafor - $6m

So...which way do we go?
[Reply]
The Franchise 01:50 PM 02-19-2020
Originally Posted by smithandrew051:
Yeah that’s pretty much my stance. As long as we sign him to a decent deal or get great compensation, I’m happy.
And that’s where I’m at. I’m just leaning more on the side of signing him. If he wants Donald money or Veach gets a mid first and another pick....then I’d accept it and move on. But if we can sign him for $18 million a season....then I’m doing it.
[Reply]
DaFace 01:51 PM 02-19-2020
Originally Posted by The Franchise:
So then you’re getting less value for Jones because now you have to replace him.
We already have other DTs on the team, so you're not really replacing Jones - you're upgrading another position instead and saying that the DL is good enough. As a random example (not getting into whether he specifically is worth it), Spotrac thinks that Matt Judon would be worth $16m per year and would be a HUGE upgrade at OLB. So that makes the decision:

Jones

vs.

Judon plus 1st round draft pick (and possibly more)
[Reply]
The Franchise 01:52 PM 02-19-2020
Originally Posted by DaFace:
We already have other DTs on the team, so you're not really replacing Jones - you're upgrading another position instead and saying that the DL is good enough. As a random example (not getting into whether he specifically is worth it), Spotrac thinks that Matt Judon would be worth $16m per year and would be a HUGE upgrade at OLB. So that makes the decision:

Jones

vs.

Matt Judon is an OLB in a 3-4. I know what you’re saying though.
[Reply]
bigdaddychieffan 01:53 PM 02-19-2020
Categorically ****ing wrong.
Dont agree at all. If we pay jones this offseason it means we won’t be extending Mahomes right now. Probably wait to do that for next year and he will undoubtedly cost more then. Then it’s now you have to cut other people who may not offer any return due to cap casualties. I would rather not get in a bind paying 1/5 team cap on 2 dl players and another 5th on our qb. We got to field a complete team.
[Reply]
DaFace 01:54 PM 02-19-2020
Matt Judon is an OLB in a 3-4. I know what you’re saying though.
Yeah, I'm just randomly picking dudes from Spotrac's list of estimated contracts. Don't really know much about the guy himself.
[Reply]
smithandrew051 01:56 PM 02-19-2020
And that’s where I’m at. I’m just leaning more on the side of signing him. If he wants Donald money or Veach gets a mid first and another pick....then I’d accept it and move on. But if we can sign him for $18 million a season....then I’m doing it.
We agree
[Reply]
bigdaddychieffan 01:56 PM 02-19-2020
I’m paying the money for Mahomes no matter any compensation. We just need to spend the money wisely elsewhere. Can’t have everything.
[Reply]
suzzer99 02:00 PM 02-19-2020
Originally Posted by OKchiefs:
Now that we’ve already won a super bowl I personally feel less desperate to have to run out there in 2020 and win it again. Of course it would be nice to win again in 2020 and I hope it happens, but I’m more concerned now with maintaining the long term health of the roster. Instead of trying to load up again in 2020 at the expense of potential future talent and depth, I’d rather make the moves needed to stockpile talent/depth long term. So as much as I’d love to have Chris Jones, unless he takes $15 million a year I don’t see how you can sink $40 million+ a year into two players on the DL. Assuming we can capitalize on the draft capital and not take another Breeland Speaks, adding a 1st and 3rd and maybe even trading out of our current 1st round pick for additional picks gives us a lot of ammunition to fill out the roster. We already haven’t had a 1st round pick since 2017 and we have a lot of free agents, leaving us in a position where the depth and/or talent on the roster at certain positions could become perilously thin. Going from a single pick in rounds 1, 2, & 3 to a 1st, two 2nd, two 3rd, two 4th, etc. plus the cap savings from not adding a $20 million a year contract that can be spread among several positions/players IMO helps more in the long run than a single player not named Mahomes.
I hear what you're saying. But the counterpoint is maybe we should sell out to try to win one or two more now while we still have Kelce, Hill, Clark, Jones(?), Watkins(??), and HB in their primes - then go through a couple years' rebuild.
[Reply]
Hoover 02:11 PM 02-19-2020
Originally Posted by bigdaddychieffan:
I’m paying the money for Mahomes no matter any compensation. We just need to spend the money wisely elsewhere. Can’t have everything.
And everyone here and around the globe agree...
[Reply]
Halfcan 02:12 PM 02-19-2020
Yeah, I'm just randomly picking dudes from Spotrac's list of estimated contracts. Don't really know much about the guy himself.
Will, any of these guys love KC as much as Jones, smile like Jones, flop his dong like Jones, talk like Jones, walk like Jones, dominate like Jones, talk shit to QB's like Jones or make a great soda drink like Jones?
[Reply]
Dunerdr 02:16 PM 02-19-2020

Jones

vs.

not to mention spags likes to move d ends inside to rush on rush downs. so you dont truly have to replace him.
[Reply]
BossChief 02:29 PM 02-19-2020
Originally Posted by bigdaddychieffan:
The fact that we are gonna have to pay Mahomes means we can’t keep Jones. We went all in to win it this year. Time to retool and build a dynasty. That has to come from making good financial decisions since we are gonna have to pay that money for the qb that we haven’t had to thus far.
Paying Chris Jones is a good decision.

The only reasons you don’t pay him:

If you feel his knee won’t hold up
If you feel like won’t take the responsibility that comes with the contract seriously.
If you feel he might get into off the field trouble during the contract
If you feel he has reached his ceiling
[Reply]
smithandrew051 02:33 PM 02-19-2020
Originally Posted by BossChief:

If you feel like won’t take the responsibility that comes with the contract seriously.
Or if you get blown away by an offer.

If someone does something stupid like offering 2 1sts and a 2nd, you take it regardless of how you feel about him.
[Reply]
Hoover 02:39 PM 02-19-2020
Originally Posted by BossChief:

All fair, but I think it's more complicated than that.

If you pay Jones you also have to be convinced you can rebuild the entire offensive live without free agency, that you can use CB rentals and late round draft picks at CB, and that Kelce is just a machine who keeps producing.

The reason I'd sign Jones is because I think the cap is going to jump up. The reason I would trade him is because the team has some critical areas of need that I'm just not confident in being able to address in the draft alone.
[Reply]
JakeF 02:54 PM 02-19-2020
Should be more than just a 1st rounder.

Didn't we already spend Jones money on Clark?
[Reply]
Page 17 of 20
« First < 71314151617 181920 >
Up