ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 17 of 19
« First < 71314151617 1819 >
Nzoner's Game Room>The Great Whisky (Whiskey) Thread!
Ming the Merciless 03:43 PM 09-16-2014

If this already exists, feel free to put a link to the proper thread...I searched and found a bourbon thread but alas , no whiskey thread which makes me think my search-fu failed....

But, in case there is not already a whiskey thread:

This thread shall be dedicated to all types of Whiskey.

I will try to make some sort of index up here, as more information is added.

*This is a work in progress...

Whisky / Whiskey
"A type of distilled alcoholic beverage made from fermented grain mash"
Each of the subcategories will be defined and include recommendations at different rough price points. Please feel free to post up a recommendation and I will try to get a rough price estimate....

Scotch

Map of Scotch Regions
Spoiler!
There are very strict rules as to which whiskies can be called Scotch. To be called scotch firstly and foremost, the whisky must be made in Scotland. Second, it must be made according to a manner prescribed in detail, by Scottish law. For more see here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scotch_whisky

Single Malt Scotch

To be a "single malt scotch" the whisky must be a "scotch" (duh!) and ALSO be made of ' only water & malted barley at a SINGLE distillery via batch distillation' (see here: LINK)

Blended Scotch

Must be a scotch (see above)..but: Most whisky is blended. It is easier and cheaper to make better tasting whisky than if you attempt the difficult talk of making a single malt. Master blenders do tastings and come up with blends of many different whiskys to achieve a result that they feel is desirable.

Bourbon

Bourbon whiskey is a type of American whiskey: a barrel-aged distilled spirit made primarily from corn. The name is ultimately derived from the French Bourbon dynasty, although it is disputed whether Bourbon County in Kentucky or Bourbon Street in New Orleans inspired the whiskey's name.[1] Bourbon has been distilled since the 18th century.[2] The use of the term "Bourbon" for the whiskey has been traced to the 1820s, and the term began to be used consistently in Kentucky in the 1870s.[1] While bourbon may be made anywhere in the United States, it is strongly associated with the American South in general, and with Kentucky in particular. As of 2014, the distillers' wholesale market revenue for bourbon sold within the U.S. is about $2.7 billion, and bourbon makes up about two-thirds of the $1.6 billion of U.S. exports of distilled spirits.[3][4] (Wikipedia)

American Rye Whisky

In the United States, "rye whiskey" is, by law, made from a mash of at least 51 percent rye. (The other ingredients of the mash are usually corn and malted barley.) It is distilled to no more than 160 U.S. proof (80% abv), and aged in charred, new oak barrels. The whiskey must be put into such barrels at not more than 125 proof (62.5% abv). Rye whiskey that has been so aged for at least two years and has not been blended with other spirits may be further designated as "straight", as in "straight rye whiskey".[1]

Irish Whiskey

Most Irish pot still whiskey is distilled thrice, while most (but not all) Scotch whisky is distilled twice. Peat is rarely used in the malting process, so that Irish whiskey has a smoother finish as opposed to the smoky, earthy overtones common to some Scotches. There are notable exceptions to these rules in both countries! (Some Irish whiskeys use peat, many Scotches do not)

Japanese Whiskey

Japanese Whiskey production first began around 1870. They started out by trying to emulate Scotch Whisky. Areas of Hokkaido are known to have climates similar to Scotland, and the difficulties of single malt production make it such that mainly Japanese whisky is blended.

[Reply]
Bewbies 10:24 PM 12-25-2015
Originally Posted by Easy 6:
Not a whisky/scotch guy myself, cant stand it... beers and clears only.
Do you wear skirts when you go out too?
[Reply]
Bewbies 10:25 PM 12-25-2015
Originally Posted by Li'l Smokey:
Hi. My name is L'll Smokey and I've never really tried out much alcohol before. Would whisky be a good choice for a n00b?
Read through this thread, lots of good stuff in here.

Then just try a lot of different stuff. You'll find what you like and hate pretty quickly.
[Reply]
Miles 12:34 AM 12-26-2015
Originally Posted by Amnorix:
No, but hella coincidence here. I'd never heard of Balcones until last week when someone mentioned it at a Christmas party. I'm going to get some very soon and will report back.
I'm more of a scotch or burbon whiskey drinker but have heard a lot of interesting things about Balcones. The single malt sounds really intersting. Please report back if you find some.
[Reply]
Miles 12:45 AM 12-26-2015
So for what it's worth, I like Hennessy quite a bit also. It's my favorite cognac. I haven't tried that many, and don't know that much about the whole VS, VSOP and that stuff. I'm mostly into scotch and other whiskeys. The only other cognac I know I've tried off the top of my head is Remy Martin, which I did not care for.

As someone else mentioned, cognac is grape-based, thereby eliminating it from being a whiskey. Whiskeys by definition are a grain-based alcohol.
Remy Martin 1738 is a really good cognac that isn't super expensive. Cognac in general is really great after you have been drinking some decent red wine.
[Reply]
dlphg9 06:54 PM 12-26-2015
Just got some Four Roses Single Barrel. Can't wait to crack her open
[Reply]
Indian Chief 09:24 PM 12-26-2015
Angels Envy > Four Roses > Eagle Rare is how I felt about those 3 in particular
[Reply]
Ming the Merciless 09:29 PM 12-26-2015
Originally Posted by O.city:
Got a bottle of macallan 25 in my stocking. Guess I was a good boy
Jealous!

How was it??
[Reply]
Prison Bitch 10:12 PM 12-26-2015
Took me 20yrs of drinking to get to Whiskey. So it's not an easy leap for many. In fact I rarely drank much beer or wine as it was, and little alcohol.
[Reply]
O.city 11:34 PM 12-26-2015
Originally Posted by Pawnmower:
Jealous!

How was it??
Haven't got to open it yet.
[Reply]
dlphg9 12:34 AM 12-27-2015
Originally Posted by Indian Chief:
Angels Envy > Four Roses > Eagle Rare is how I felt about those 3 in particular
I loved Angels Envy
[Reply]
penguinz 10:28 AM 12-27-2015
If you did not know Angels Envy was recently purchased by Bacardi.
[Reply]
Ming the Merciless 02:05 PM 11-03-2016
Had some middleton very rare for the 3rd time ever...

Holy shit...

I think it is the best whisky possibly on earth....I mean it is a blend its not single malt but it is masterful. I'd imagine its about 20-25$ a glass but if you are celebrating or have a chance to try it it is simply amazing. Ive some some great whisky and it is on par or better than anything ive ever had....I cant remember if I posted this the last time I had a glass....but HOLY shit.

Its like a really great speyside scotch (think glenlivet 21) but even more balanced and smooth.....

[Reply]
Amnorix 02:09 PM 11-03-2016
Recently tried Highland Park and REALLY like it. I can't stand the upper end of the smoky range -- the Lavagulins (sp?) and Laphroaigs (sp again?), but Highland Park had just enough of it to make it more interesting.

Pretty much a new favorite of mine.

Never did get that Balcones. Will try to get it for xmas!
[Reply]
Ming the Merciless 02:11 PM 11-03-2016
Another thing I have been meaning to post is this Dewars 'Highlander Honey'

If you mix like 50/50 Highlander honey and your lemon/lime drink (7up) of choice....over ice....or maybe just a SPLASH of the 7up......and let the ice melt a little...Damn....its pretty tasty on the cheap end.

[Reply]
O.city 02:23 PM 11-03-2016
Recently tried Highland Park and REALLY like it. I can't stand the upper end of the smoky range -- the Lavagulins (sp?) and Laphroaigs (sp again?), but Highland Park had just enough of it to make it more interesting.

Pretty much a new favorite of mine.

Never did get that Balcones. Will try to get it for xmas!
I'm a big fan of highland park.

I've been on a glenmorangie kick lately though
[Reply]
Page 17 of 19
« First < 71314151617 1819 >
Up