ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 167 of 205
« First < 67117157163164165166167 168169170171177 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>****OFFICIAL NBA Regular Season Thread****
dirk digler 10:59 AM 12-25-2011
Let's get it on... finally
ping2000 02:34 PM 08-26-2020
Hopefully the boycott spreads and kills off the league.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
DJ's left nut 02:35 PM 08-26-2020
Originally Posted by KC_Connection:
I imagine we won't be seeing any more NBA games today. And possibly for the rest of the week. Maybe longer?

I'm so fascinated to see what Silver does here because he works for the owners after all and they (along with the advertisers) need these games to be played. The NBA would have the ability to break up the CBA if they chose to.
Will NEVER happen.

The NBA has a max contract and hard caps. Those teams absolutely print money, especially with their popularity in China (hence their willingness to lick Chinese boot).

There isn't a sport in the land where the players have more power than the NBA. Silver will delay as long as he has to. And if the players refuse to re-enter the bubble and the post-season doesn't continue, Silver will issue a statement in support.

He won't do shit. Because again - venn diagrams. His fanbase doesn't want him to by an overwhelming majority and the league has effectively no power over the players.

The problem is that the players seem to think that they matter OUTSIDE of the NBA landscape. Fellas....you really don't.
KChiefs1 02:35 PM 08-26-2020
Originally Posted by Deberg_1990:
Bucks and Magic refusing to take the court.

Yawn
dj56dt58 02:36 PM 08-26-2020
Originally Posted by tk13:
Oh for sure. But it's their right to do it. It's not surprising considering what happened in the Bucks backyard.

People are nuts and make everything political, but at the same time athletes have a lot of power. Not just these guys, but as we've seen with LeBron, Mahomes, etc. If they want to bring attention to something they pretty much have as much power as anyone.

It is? I wasn't aware we could just not do our jobs because some asshat got himself shot by the cops
smithandrew051 02:38 PM 08-26-2020
Maybe a stupid question here.

What’s the definitive goal in these teams boycotting? What specifically do they hope to achieve?

You practically can’t get away from the story of the shooting if you’re active at all on social media, so it isn’t for “awareness”.

Are they trying to punish the league? The owners? The fans?
DJ's left nut 02:38 PM 08-26-2020
Originally Posted by dj56dt58:
It is? I wasn't aware we could just not do our jobs because some asshat got himself shot by the cops
Sure ya can.

I mean, your employer can fire you, but it's within your purview.

But if you're in the top 1% of the top 1% in the world at what you do and with that skill you bring your employer billions....well, he'll probably let you slide this time.

People that try to compare ourselves with professional athletes are missing a whole lot of distinguishing factors here...
KC_Connection 02:38 PM 08-26-2020
Originally Posted by DJ's left nut:
Will NEVER happen.

The NBA has a max contract and hard caps. Those teams absolutely print money, especially with their popularity in China (hence their willingness to lick Chinese boot).

There isn't a sport in the land where the players have more power than the NBA. Silver will delay as long as he has to. And if the players refuse to re-enter the bubble and the post-season doesn't continue, Silver will issue a statement in support.

He won't do shit. Because again - venn diagrams. His fanbase doesn't want him to by an overwhelming majority and the league has effectively no power over the players.

The problem is that the players seem to think that they matter OUTSIDE of the NBA landscape. Fellas....you really don't.
They can't print money if the players don't play the games. Something has to give if this is an extended thing. And for all of its ostensible support of these causes, they're still just a business in the end.
tk13 02:39 PM 08-26-2020
Originally Posted by dj56dt58:
Well sure you can, in reality you have every right to not go into work.

These guys have a way bigger megaphone than any of us will ever have though, and they know it. Honestly bigger than most anyone in America who isn't a presidential candidate.
ping2000 02:42 PM 08-26-2020
Originally Posted by smithandrew051:
Maybe a stupid question here.

What’s the definitive goal in these teams boycotting? What specifically do they hope to achieve?

You practically can’t get away from the story of the shooting if you’re active at all on social media, so it isn’t for “awareness”.

Are they trying to punish the league? The owners? The fans?
I'm sure they will want the cops put to death on live TV without a trial, Trump impeached, or some other reasonable demands.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
DJ's left nut 02:42 PM 08-26-2020
Originally Posted by KC_Connection:
They can't print money if the players don't play the games. Something has to give if this is an extended thing. And for all of its ostensible support of these causes, they're still just a business in the end.
They can't this summer...no.

But they'll be able to turn the machines back in the winter.

Because if you come out against this stuff right now, you're done in that league. Permanently. You'll never get another FA and you'll have players demanding trades.

So everyone's gonna walk on egg shells and in complete lockstep until the league is legitimately bordering on insolvency. It's a long way from that. Especially when television partners at ESPN and TNT aren't gonna hold their feet to the fire either (ESPN has clearly cast its lot with the NBA and Wokeness).

There's simply no long-term win to be had by the NBA here if they put their feet down. They just have to eat shit for awhile.
Sassy Squatch 02:44 PM 08-26-2020
So the Magic and the Bucs appear to be refusing to take the court.

Sure that's gonna change a lot of minds...
I read it as the Magic were ready to play and waiting for the Bucks, who never came out.
DaneMcCloud 02:44 PM 08-26-2020
False.

It's pretty clear that you do not live in an NBA town. I DO and the Lakers are KING's in Los Angeles.

Why do you think the Garden is packed even though the Knicks haven't been relevant in more than 20 years?
FloridaMan88 02:45 PM 08-26-2020
If the NBA had leadership with a backbone, they would end Milwaukee’s season now and kick them out of the playoffs.

What a disgrace.
tk13 02:45 PM 08-26-2020
Honestly I don't think it would carry as much weight if this was the Phoenix Suns or something.

The fact it was done by a legit title contender with the league MVP will give it more weight. It's probably about a half step behind Mahomes doing this for a Chiefs game. The rest of the league pretty much has to fall in line.
KC_Connection 02:46 PM 08-26-2020
They can't this summer...no.

But they'll be able to turn the machines back in the winter.

Because if you come out against this stuff right now, you're done in that league. Permanently. You'll never get another FA and you'll have players demanding trades.

So everyone's gonna walk on egg shells and in complete lockstep until the league is legitimately bordering on insolvency. It's a long way from that. Especially when television partners at ESPN and TNT aren't gonna hold their feet to the fire either (ESPN has clearly cast its lot with the NBA and Wokeness).

There's simply no long-term win to be had by the NBA here if they put their feet down. They just have to eat shit for awhile.
Is racial injustice going somewhere by the winter? If they can boycott now, they can boycott later too.

It's really a brutal position for Silver/the league to be in right now.
Page 167 of 205
« First < 67117157163164165166167 168169170171177 > Last »
Up