Pitcher

Edit:
Matheny fired 07/14/2018

Opening Day Roster
Spoiler!

[Reply]
DJ's left nut 01:28 PM 07-30-2018
Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins:
You have to be able to scout your own players extremely well and develop the lottery tickets, but you're probably going to need to tank or get lucky at this point.

There aren't really stupid front offices anymore, so to further what DJ said, you can't fleece bad ones, which is how Jocketty operated.
Well you know what they say about finding the sucker at the table...
[Reply]
BigRedChief 02:10 PM 07-30-2018
Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins:
You have to be able to scout your own players extremely well and develop the lottery tickets, but you're probably going to need to tank or get lucky at this point.

There aren't really stupid front offices anymore, so to further what DJ said, you can't fleece bad ones, which is how Jocketty operated.
if you can’t use or outsmart other GM’s on a regular basis then it seems that the only long term strategy that will work in 2018 is drafting and developing your own players. And or having plenty of money to buy players or cover for mistakes.

Yet, in your previous posts you outlined the dangers of selling too low or buying too high with prospects. Those flaws would sink the whole plan resulting in a deficit of talent to compete. Pretty much what’s currently happening. :-)

It would seem to me that it takes a whole organization now and not just a great GM to be successful. The Cardinals seem to develop and or develop players better than the average team.

Also you would need to add new and fresh approaches to your overall staff to keep current on trends or stay ahead of the other teams. Unknown if that’s happening.
[Reply]
'Hamas' Jenkins 05:42 PM 07-30-2018
Originally Posted by BigRedChief:
if you can’t use or outsmart other GM’s on a regular basis then it seems that the only long term strategy that will work in 2018 is drafting and developing your own players. And or having plenty of money to buy players or cover for mistakes.

Yet, in your previous posts you outlined the dangers of selling too low or buying too high with prospects. Those flaws would sink the whole plan resulting in a deficit of talent to compete. Pretty much what’s currently happening. :-)

It would seem to me that it takes a whole organization now and not just a great GM to be successful. The Cardinals seem to develop and or develop players better than the average team.

Also you would need to add new and fresh approaches to your overall staff to keep current on trends or stay ahead of the other teams. Unknown if that’s happening.
Yup. Welcome to the new baseball. It's not the NFL, where it seems like half of the franchises are still run by meathead fucktards, but the central premise of Moneyball still rings true: you have to find undervalued assets.

At this point, everyone is focusing on launch angle and saying fuck strikeouts. To me, it seems like there is a glaringly obvious approach a team could make, since homers are in such demand: find guys with speed who play good defense and make contact. Prevent runs and put pressure on the other teams on the basepaths. Basically, Whiteyball.
[Reply]
Frazod 06:05 PM 07-30-2018
Just heard on the radio that Lynn got traded to the Yankmees.

Good news if you hate New York, I guess. :-)
[Reply]
jd1020 06:13 PM 07-30-2018
Originally Posted by Frazod:
Just heard on the radio that Lynn got traded to the Yankmees.

Good news if you hate New York, I guess. :-)
Had to look him up to see if he had been better recently but July has been his 2nd worst month while giving up 5 HRs and his lowest K/9 total by far.

Rothschild must see something he can fix because I dont know why you would want him on your roster when you are trying to catch the Red Sox and avoid a 1 game wildcard.
[Reply]
'Hamas' Jenkins 06:29 PM 07-30-2018
Originally Posted by jd1020:
Had to look him up to see if he had been better recently but July has been his 2nd worst month while giving up 5 HRs and his lowest K/9 total by far.

Rothschild must see something he can fix because I dont know why you would want him on your roster when you are trying to catch the Red Sox and avoid a 1 game wildcard.
His velocity, swinging strike rate, contact % out of the zone, and zone contact percentage are all better than his career norms. He's been done in by control issues, and likely elevating his sinker, which contributes to the increased HR-FB%. If they can fix his control, he's likely going to be the same 3-3.5 win pitcher he was for several years in St. Louis.
[Reply]
Marcellus 07:49 PM 07-30-2018
Joe West is doing a fantastic Enrico Palazzo impression tonight. :-)
[Reply]
BigRedChief 09:15 PM 07-30-2018
I have a buddy down here who’s a Rays fan text me just now to ask about O’neil. Is his power real?

Rumor among Rays fans is O’Neil/Kelley/Mercado for Archer.

I sure hope this is just another BS rumor. Trading our only legitimate power hitter for a way over rated pitcher in a season that’s going nowhere would suck so bad. But a typical Mo move. :-)
[Reply]
Miles 09:34 PM 07-30-2018
Trading for Archer given the price being rumored would be so brutal and the last thing this team needs.
[Reply]
BigRedChief 09:37 PM 07-30-2018
What’s Boston got they would give up for Norris?

Red Sox are reportedly interested in Cardinals closer Bud Norris.

MLB Trade Deadline about 24 hours away. https://t.co/xgMvXLwOBX pic.twitter.com/8CUVfZdiLP

— NBC Sports Boston (@NBCSBoston) July 30, 2018

[Reply]
BigRedChief 09:39 PM 07-30-2018
Originally Posted by Miles:
Trading for Archer given the price being rumored would be so brutal and the last thing this team needs.
he did say it was just a rumor going around on his Rays board.

this is why the Rays still have Archer. Supposedly they are wanting a haul like Archer is Scherzer level.
[Reply]
'Hamas' Jenkins 09:44 PM 07-30-2018
Things less ridiculous than Chris Archer, ace starter:

The Titanic's reputation as unsinkable
Mao's Great Leap Forward as a humanitarian model
Mack Rhoades, athletic director
Rich Scanlon as an impact linebacker

There is no more overrated player in sports, period, than Chris Archer. He's a #3/#4 starter because his FIP and xFIP are horrendously overrated by his desire to go 8 pitches to every batter to bump up his K-rate. He really should be a closer.

I would give them a package of Carson Kelly, Junior Fernandez, and some past first round disappointment, like Nick Plummer, who will never amount to anything, and the Cardinals should probably push them for relief help coming back.
[Reply]
Jewish Rabbi 09:44 PM 07-30-2018
FWIW, neither O’Neill or Kelly played tonight.
[Reply]
'Hamas' Jenkins 09:50 PM 07-30-2018
That's what we traded for, you bald bastard. Keep doing that.
[Reply]
Miles 09:51 PM 07-30-2018
Ozuna walk off HR. Nice to see him showing signs of life.
[Reply]
Page 164 of 301
« First < 64114154160161162163164 165166167168174214264 > Last »
Up