ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 161 of 484
« First < 61111151157158159160161 162163164165171211261 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>*** Official 2017 Royals Repository ***
Chiefspants 10:55 AM 04-05-2017
Chiefsplanet’s (Proposed) 2017 Season Title: One Last Ride

Midish-Season Update (Royals 51-47, 2nd Wild Card, 1.5 GB of ALC):

We're halfway through 2017, and fittingly to the Chiefsplanet's 2017 Season Title, the Royals are all-in on what will likely be one final run with the current core. While many are worried the Royals will take a 2004 style tumble after this year, the farm system is hardly the barren wasteland it was during the Baird years. To see what's in the pipeline and what we have to look forward to, check out this exceptional list and analysis that Duncan put together of our system.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...htmlview#gid=0

While I had the honor of starting this thread this year, Duncan will always have a VIP pass to this OP, and can add more content at any time.

2017's Burning Questions Revisited:

1. What is the threshold between being “buyers” and “sellers” at the deadline?

We're buyers, baby.

In April, I argued that it would be a wise strategy for us to sell if we were 5 GB or worse, but that Dayton would likely add supplemental pieces for us to load up for another run if we were 1-2 GB. On July 24th, the Royals found themselves in sole possession of the 2nd wild card spot and 1.5 games back of the division. In April I said the Royals might pull the trigger on someone like Alex Cobb and resign Luke Hochevar, but since the Rays are also buyers and Luke's shoulder hasn't rebounded, this prediction hasn't come to fruition. Luckily, Dayton Moore again proved much more adept and creative than me by adding Trevor Cahill (good call, Duncan), Brandon Maurer and Ryan Buchter in a single trade. Giving us a solid starter to compete in 2017, and two relievers whom we will control through 2019 and 2021, respectively, keeping Moore's new vision through 2019-2020 intact. Moore has hinted that the Royals will continue to pursue the right deals if they're there, so the fun may not be over just yet. While we may not have the bullets to pull in a "star" like Cueto or Zo, Moore's adeptness may yet again net us what we need for another run in October.

2. Can Gordo and Moose bounce back to 2015 levels?

In April I asked if Gordo could at least set the table at a 265/325/425 clip and if Moose could deliver damage around a 265/335/500 clip for an entire year. This season Mr. Moustakas has been the prospect that was promised, delivering at a 277/307/568 clip as of this update. Gordo, on the other hand, has put up an unbelievably abysmal line thus far. But, if there is a silver lining, it's that Gordo has performed at a 246/311/432 line since June 1st, and if he can continue to perform near that mark, he will be more than a valuable asset at the bottom of the lineup while he continues to provide the best LF defense in the league.

3. Can Ned Yost manage a bullpen?

In April, I felt that despite the poor start, Royals bullpen would ultimately be "solid" this year, but the question was whether "solid" was good enough for Ned. I argued that the Royals needed Soria to bounce back and that Ned would need to start being strategic in his L/L and R/R matchups. While Ned has still made at times baffling and frustrating decisions with his starters (such as allowing Travis Wood to try to "get the win" and still insisting on sending Hammel out for the 6th, he's mostly done a good job).

MASH: Minor/Moylan - Alexander - Soria - Herrera (Credit to C3HIEF3S for the origins of the phrase) have cemented into reliable pieces, and now that Herrera is showing signs of stabilizing, our dumping of Wood, our call up Flynn, and the acquisition of Buchter and Maurer, the Royals have the potential to enter October with one of the best and deepest bullpens in the postseason.

4. Will the Royals find a boost from an unexpected X-Factor to lift them to contention?

Cool-Whit, Boni, Mike ****ing Minor, and Alexander have come up huge thus far. Cool Whit is, incredibly, is second on the team in WAR and has more than replaced Zo's presence on the team. They, like the X-Factors on the 2014-2015 teams, have been critical cogs as we've raced back to contention, while Cool-Whit and Boni also have provided a rosier outlook for this team's future. It's worth noting that Salvador Perez and Jason Vargas has been beasts on offense and the mound (along with Sal providing his customary defensive excellence), but I am still a bit wary of Salvy's annual Yost assisted offensive drought as the team moves into August, along with Vargy regressing to his averages.

5. Can Jorge Soler and Brandon Moss be productive contributors in Kauffman’s dimensions?

Ouch, no, but the Royals shift to power-hitting in the juiced ball era looks like one that will pay off. Thankfully, Moss is showing signs of entering his seasonal hot streak where he becomes corn-fed Jesus for a month, and we'll need him hot to keep up with Cleveland down the stretch. While Jorge has been painful to watch in the majors, his scorching performance in AAA should give one a bright hope for the future. While some may disagree, I offer Moose, Hos, Gordo, and Duffy's struggles as exhibit A for why it is far too early to give up on Soler's potential.

Bonus Question - Is Raul Mondesi truly ready to be an everyday player?

Ha! Not even close. However, like Soler, his progress in AAA is incredibly encouraging. With ceilings like Lindor and floors being Esky being thrown out there, it's hard not to be excited about his future.

The Picture Forward

There are many reasons to be excited, and not only for 2017. The Royals emergence of Cool Whit, Bonifacio, and Scott Alexander, and the fact that we have pieces like Salvador Perez, Danny Duffy, Kelvin Herrera, Jorge Soler, Ryan Buchter, Brandon Maurer Cheslor Cuthbert, and Raul Mondesi until at least 2019 should leave one feeling pretty optimistic. Re-up Moose or Hos (and heck, re-sign Dyson while we're at it), and suddenly this team looks very much like one that could compete for the indefinite future.

The Royals are all in again, buckle in and enjoy the ride.

April OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
duncan_idaho 08:58 AM 06-15-2017
Originally Posted by KChiefs1:
Sweep the Angels & it will get very exciting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Even 3/4 is another big step forward.

Regarding Alex Gordon, he has rounded more into 2015 form over the past 10 games, with a .250/.429/.531 triple slash.

If he can keep getting on base and slugging at that rate, this offense suddenly is quite a bit better.

[Reply]
mr. tegu 08:59 AM 06-15-2017
Originally Posted by siberian khatru:
Buster Olney was on 810 this morning and was very bullish on the Royals in the AL Central.

Me, I enjoy the current win streak, but I'm not going to buy in until they go over .500.
What does being over .500 matter? If we are 4 games back, whether we are 10 over .500 or where we are now it's still just 4 games back. In fact this is probably a better position than being four games back of a team that is 14 games over .500 because it means the leader is flawed and less likely to sustain.
[Reply]
ChiTown 09:02 AM 06-15-2017
Buster Olney was on 810 this morning and was very bullish on the Royals in the AL Central.

Me, I enjoy the current win streak, but I'm not going to buy in until they go over .500.
Agreed..

I don't believe they will be over .500 before the ASB, but I'm guessing it will be close.

Currently: 30-34

Remaining Schedule before ASB:

- @ LAA - 4 games. Need a split (2-2)
- BoSox - 3 Games. It would be great to win the series, but tough (2-1)
- TOR - 3 Games. Got to win that one. (2-1)
- @ DET - 3 Games. ??, I think we lose that series. (1-2)
- MIN - 3 Games. Another series win (2-1)
- @ SEA - 3 Games. Pull out a series win in the last game (2-1)
- @ LAD - 3 Games. Must avoid a sweep before the ASB (1-2)

That puts us at 42-44, and most likely, squarely in the Central race.
[Reply]
siberian khatru 09:36 AM 06-15-2017
Originally Posted by mr. tegu:
What does being over .500 matter? If we are 4 games back, whether we are 10 over .500 or where we are now it's still just 4 games back. In fact this is probably a better position than being four games back of a team that is 14 games over .500 because it means the leader is flawed and less likely to sustain.
Because I don't think it will hold that a .500 team (81-83 wins) captures the division. In the last 10 years, the lowest win total for a division winner was 84. The odds are against having the entire division hang around all season to keep a .500 Royals team in it -- and let's be clear, despite the current surge, they're still 4 games under. Doesn't take much to push them back under.

Forgive me if I don't get excited about the postseason chances of teams with losing records, regardless of what the standings in June say. I think the division is there for the taking, but I don't think it's going to fall in their lap if they tread water all year. It COULD happen, but I wouldn't bet on it.
[Reply]
Prison Bitch 10:32 AM 06-15-2017
Boni has been a godsend
[Reply]
mr. tegu 10:35 AM 06-15-2017
Because I don't think it will hold that a .500 team (81-83 wins) captures the division. In the last 10 years, the lowest win total for a division winner was 84. The odds are against having the entire division hang around all season to keep a .500 Royals team in it -- and let's be clear, despite the current surge, they're still 4 games under. Doesn't take much to push them back under.

Forgive me if I don't get excited about the postseason chances of teams with losing records, regardless of what the standings in June say. I think the division is there for the taking, but I don't think it's going to fall in their lap if they tread water all year. It COULD happen, but I wouldn't bet on it.
I didn't mean to imply that I thought the division could be won with a losing record. It's just that at this point in time it doesn't matter because 4 games back is 4 games back, regardless of records. The Royals can definitely make up that ground before seasons end and finish over .500. To me, moving up in the standings is more important right now than the overall record.
[Reply]
Prison Bitch 10:44 AM 06-15-2017

We are +2 to py-thag and +1 to base runs. So instead of 30 wins we could have 28 or 29 by metrics. MINN is +5 in py-thag (!) and +3 in base runs. So by py-thag, KC = MINN. They're probably destined for a fall.

CLEVE is -2 in baseruns so they could be at 33-29. FG has the following Central projections:

CLEVE 88
MINN 79
DET 79
KC 76
SUX 69

(I don't believe CLEVE is really going to go 57-43 rest of the way, a 92-win pace, like these projections have)
[Reply]
Why Not? 11:03 AM 06-15-2017
Again, it's hard to know what the front office is thinking. Of course, I want the team to keep winning and would love an improbable playoff run but I shudder at the thought of a 2018 with Cuthbert and Moss at the corners and Billy Burns in CF, with no restocked farm system to look forward to in 2020ish
[Reply]
siberian khatru 11:18 AM 06-15-2017
Originally Posted by Prison Bitch:
We are +2 to py-thag and +1 to base runs. So instead of 30 wins we could have 28 or 29 by metrics. MINN is +5 in py-thag (!) and +3 in base runs. So by py-thag, KC = MINN. They're probably destined for a fall.

CLEVE is -2 in baseruns so they could be at 33-29. FG has the following Central projections:

CLEVE 88
MINN 79
DET 79
KC 76
SUX 69

(I don't believe CLEVE is really going to go 57-43 rest of the way, a 92-win pace, like these projections have)

I almost mentioned that Pythag, but I was certain someone would point out that the Royals have been overperforming their Pythag for the last three years, so why stop now? :-)
[Reply]
KChiefs1 11:23 AM 06-15-2017
I think 86-76 will win the division.

[Reply]
Prison Bitch 11:32 AM 06-15-2017
I almost mentioned that Pythag, but I was certain someone would point out that the Royals have been overperforming their Pythag for the last three years, so why stop now? :-)
I didn't realize how lucky Minnys been, altho they sure seem to have won more than they should vs. us.

I see them score 20 runs and think they're better than they are, but more than likely they'll fall soon.
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 11:32 AM 06-15-2017

The Royals are 22-18 over their past 40 games, which coincides with May 1, as I recall. That's a clip/pace that would put KC at 84 wins when all is said and done.

Improve that by a single game per 40, and you're at 86. Improve it by two, and you're at 89. I think that's how KC can win the division.

That's no small feat, but I can believe its achievable IF the offense continues to click and Duffy/Karns come back strong from their injuries. I'm worried about Karns' health, honestly. Have a feeling he's headed to Dr. Andrews.

They haven't had that white-hot stretch yet, but if they can launch one, that changes the math, too.

For example: Say they win the next two series to get to one game under .500 (5-2). Now that 22-18 pace puts you at 85 wins.

There are a lot of variables - two I'm watching closely are how Bonifacio adjusts now that the league is working him above the belt, and how Gordon builds off the positives of the past 10 games - but it's not hopeless or impossible.

[Reply]
DeepSouth 12:04 PM 06-15-2017
Originally Posted by duncan_idaho:
The Royals are 22-18 over their past 40 games, which coincides with May 1, as I recall. That's a clip/pace that would put KC at 84 wins when all is said and done.

Improve that by a single game per 40, and you're at 86. Improve it by two, and you're at 89. I think that's how KC can win the division.

That's no small feat, but I can believe its achievable IF the offense continues to click and Duffy/Karns come back strong from their injuries. I'm worried about Karns' health, honestly. Have a feeling he's headed to Dr. Andrews.

They haven't had that white-hot stretch yet, but if they can launch one, that changes the math, too.

For example: Say they win the next two series to get to one game under .500 (5-2). Now that 22-18 pace puts you at 85 wins.

There are a lot of variables - two I'm watching closely are how Bonifacio adjusts now that the league is working him above the belt, and how Gordon builds off the positives of the past 10 games - but it's not hopeless or impossible.

Take what "Why Not" insinuated, you make it to the playoffs but not the world series. Would that run be worth NOT getting the returns if they sold at the deadline? Because, the rebuild will definitely take longer with only 2 - 3 comp picks in next years draft versus 5 - 6 players that are closer to MLB ready.
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 01:12 PM 06-15-2017
Originally Posted by DeepSouth:
Take what "Why Not" insinuated, you make it to the playoffs but not the world series. Would that run be worth NOT getting the returns if they sold at the deadline? Because, the rebuild will definitely take longer with only 2 - 3 comp picks in next years draft versus 5 - 6 players that are closer to MLB ready.

I think so. A playoff appearance in hand is better than a potential playoff appearance in the bush.

If they sell, KC needs to sell for best player available, not its best available that is close to MLB, IMO. You start looking only at guys who are at AA and higher, and the quality of return will dip.

Example:

If Kansas City trades Moustakas to Boston, they're not getting Rafael Devers, so you're talking about second tier prospects from that system (still good, but Devers is top 10 and near MLB-ready).

Insisting on a "close" player means Sam Travis is the type of return you're getting. He's a solid player but not going to be a star (in all likelihood). If you open up to anyone in the system, you could get someone like Michael Chavis, who has all-star potential but is farther away from the majors.

[Reply]
siberian khatru 01:29 PM 06-15-2017
Originally Posted by duncan_idaho:

I appreciate the math, but that still boils down to, "If they keep playing well the rest of the season ..." Well ... yeah. Which is pretty much what I said: When they get over .500, I'll start buying in. I didn't say they wouldn't or couldn't, only that I was waiting to see it.

I mean, before this 4-game winning streak against two sub-.400 teams, they were 18-18 in their last 36. :-) I'd like to see more of that, over a longer sample size, against better competition, before I start thinking division. So yeah, let's keep going 22-18.
[Reply]
Page 161 of 484
« First < 61111151157158159160161 162163164165171211261 > Last »
Up