ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 16 of 160
« First < 61213141516 171819202666116 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Ok for the high brow crowd what books you are reading
big nasty kcnut 10:37 PM 03-11-2006
I'm reading The New American Revolution by tammy bruce. She is a great thinker and funny.
[Reply]
NewChief 04:13 AM 10-06-2006
Originally Posted by the Talking Can:
Thomas Pynchon has a new book out in November.

makes life worth living....
Looks like it is going to be awesome, but I really hope it's more readable than Mason and Dixon.
[Reply]
Easy 6 07:02 AM 10-06-2006
Son of the Morning Star, a Custer bio.
[Reply]
the Talking Can 07:34 AM 10-06-2006
Originally Posted by NewChief:
Looks like it is going to be awesome, but I really hope it's more readable than Mason and Dixon.
funny you mentioned that....I just started M&D...for the second time...it's the only book I haven't/can't get through...I know if I'd hang in there for 100 pages it would be worth it, but the writing is borderline awful in spots....unlike Gravity's Rainbow, which is perfect from the first sentence, "A screaming comes across the sky."
[Reply]
Otter 07:40 AM 10-06-2006
Last three book:

Band of Brothers - 5/5 stars
Inside Delta Force - 3/5 stars
The Naked Soldier: A True Story Of The French Foreign Legion - work in progress

I'm on a military kick in the books department
[Reply]
Lzen 07:41 AM 10-06-2006
- Fargo Rock City by Cuck Klosterman
- Citizen Soldiers by Stephen E. Ambrose
[Reply]
OnTheWarpath15 07:51 AM 10-06-2006
Currently reading: The Human Predator by Katherine Ramsland.

Recently finished: Without Conscience by Robert Hare

What's The Matter With Kansas? by Thomas Frank

Flying Blind by Michael Smerconish
[Reply]
NewChief 07:52 AM 10-06-2006
Originally Posted by the Talking Can:
funny you mentioned that....I just started M&D...for the second time...it's the only book I haven't/can't get through...I know if I'd hang in there for 100 pages it would be worth it, but the writing is borderline awful in spots....unlike Gravity's Rainbow, which is perfect from the first sentence, "A screaming comes across the sky."
You're not alone in your struggles with M&D. I've read most of Pynchon's works twice (some of them 3 times), but I haven't gotten past page 25 or so of M&D. A friend of mine who is an equally huge Pynchon fan has had the same problem.
[Reply]
Brock 07:53 AM 10-06-2006
Originally Posted by frazod:
L.A. Confidential is in my all time top 5 favorite movies, but I've never read the book. I'm definitely going to read more of Ellroy's stuff.
The movie was great, but it isn't really much like the book. The book is really better in a lot of ways.
[Reply]
tiptap 07:55 AM 10-06-2006
Originally Posted by NewChief:
You're not alone in your struggles with M&D. I've read most of Pynchon's works twice (some of them 3 times), but I haven't gotten past page 25 or so of M&D. A friend of mine who is an equally huge Pynchon fan has had the same problem.

Ditto
[Reply]
Jenson71 11:16 PM 10-09-2006
Reading Crime and Punishment now for Humanities III. Surprisingly, not difficult and not boring like you might think of 19th century literature. It's got suspense, I'm really liking it.
[Reply]
Ecto-I 11:28 PM 10-09-2006
David Copperfield by Charles Dickens...I'm about half way through this monster, but its starting to drag a bit :-)
[Reply]
luv 12:03 AM 10-10-2006
Originally Posted by Ecto-I:
David Copperfield by Charles Dickens...I'm about half way through this monster, but its starting to drag a bit :-)
The boys in The Cider House Rules really liked that story.
[Reply]
luv 12:05 AM 10-10-2006
I am about to start chapter 2 in 1984 by George Orwell. Next in my lineup is Animal Farm.
[Reply]
joesomebody 10:55 AM 10-10-2006
A Meeting at Corvallis by S. M. Sterling

I would read the first two in the series though before picking this one up. Someone on the board got me started on all of this alternate history stuff.

I beleive the board reco was An Island in the Sea of Time or something like that. These three of his are far better than his Nantucket series.
[Reply]
svuba 01:41 AM 10-12-2006
Many Thanks to the people who have made suggestions on this Thread.

I have read quite of few books based on planet recommendations, here is a short list of the books that I have read this year that I highly recommend:

Snow Crash - Neal Stephenson - A masterpiece of Fiction with frighteningly accurate view of the future written in 1992, The Meteverse is here!

In Cold Blood - Truman Capote - "The best Documentary account of an American crime ever written" - I couldn't put it down.

The Smartest Guys in the room - The amazing rise & Scandalous Fall of Enron - This was a great read, The crap that they were pulling at ENRON was mind-numbingly ridiculous, the most amazing thing was how everybody went along with it because nobody wanted to rock the boat.

102 Minutes - The Untold story of the fight to survive inside the twin towers- Fascinating book, with details of how people survived, and how brave some people were, and what a ridiculous task the Firemen faced that day. Compiled from interviews with survivors, and transcripts of all the radio communication during the rescue effort.

Parallel Worlds - Michio Kaku - A tour of the cosmos & the Future of mans place in the universe - Excellent book, and an easier read than Brian Greene's The Elegant Universe. Both are eye opening.

The following are now in my Amazon Shopping cart thanks to the planet:

A Confederacy of Dunces
Band of Brothers
American Tabloid
[Reply]
Page 16 of 160
« First < 61213141516 171819202666116 > Last »
Up