ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 150 of 663
« First < 50100140146147148149150 151152153154160200250650 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***The Official MMA Thread***
KcMizzou 08:18 PM 07-08-2010
Excited about an upcoming fight? Want to make predictions, or just give people a heads-up that there are some fights on? We can do it here.

(Also a good place to complain, dicuss, and agrue about the outcomes)
[Reply]
Shogun 01:49 PM 02-05-2012
Originally Posted by Inmem58:
Well the guys now are better, all of Pride fighters are washed up. Fedor, Cro Cop, Rampage etc.

I think if you put any UFC heavyweight in their prime against Fedor in his prime in a fight in Pride. Fedor would destroy anyone.
Fedor would still destroy a lot of them. He went in to k-1 fedor mode hunting heads looking for the knockout. Albiet against sub par competition, his last 2 fights he actually fought his gameplan and didnt look for the KO. He may have ended his last 2 opponents careers because he picked them apart so badly.
[Reply]
In58men 01:55 PM 02-05-2012
Originally Posted by BigCatDaddy:
I don't think he would, but it is possible. It's just such a young evolving sport that you are going to keep seeing the level of the fighters rise for a long time. Today's MMA guys are better then MMA guys of 10 years ago and MMA guys 10 years from now will be better then guys today.
This can go for any sport. Guys are bigger, faster and stronger these days.
[Reply]
TheGuardian 01:55 PM 02-05-2012
Originally Posted by Shogun:
No. Please know what you're watching and how to score a fight.

Diaz was in the center of the octagon the entire fight. Getting his ass kicked.
This.

Dude is just a fanboy tho.
[Reply]
TheGuardian 02:00 PM 02-05-2012
Originally Posted by Inmem58:
This can go for any sport. Guys are bigger, faster and stronger these days.
Meh.

It's not really about bigger, faster, stronger. It's really about how a sport changes.

8 years ago it was all about being a great wrestler. Great stand up guys had no chance because they just got taken down and that was it.

Now things have changed. Wrestlers don't wrestle as much because too many guys have great take down defense. Guys don't get sub'd as much anymore either.

What is starting to happen is that the stand up is starting to evolve. Jon Jones and even last night with Carlos Condit are showing that. Various types of kicks are working their way into the mix now and in a few years you are going to see guys with some really advanced stand up game.

Then 10 years down the road it will be something else. It's not really about guys being bigger, faster, stronger. It's just about the evolution of the sport.
[Reply]
Shogun 02:01 PM 02-05-2012
I don't think he would, but it is possible. It's just such a young evolving sport that you are going to keep seeing the level of the fighters rise for a long time. Today's MMA guys are better then MMA guys of 10 years ago and MMA guys 10 years from now will be better then guys today.
This is just not true. A prime Wand in the division right now would obliterate anybody he wanted to. A prime crocop/fedor/nog/barnett would have their way with anybody. They MASTERED their sport. Weather it was striking/Judo/sambo/catch/bjj. they didnt just train a bit of it like the guys now. They were the masters at what they did, which is what made them so dangerous.
[Reply]
BigCatDaddy 02:03 PM 02-05-2012
Originally Posted by TheGuardian:
Meh.

It's not really about bigger, faster, stronger. It's really about how a sport changes.

8 years ago it was all about being a great wrestler. Great stand up guys had no chance because they just got taken down and that was it.

Now things have changed. Wrestlers don't wrestle as much because too many guys have great take down defense. Guys don't get sub'd as much anymore either.

What is starting to happen is that the stand up is starting to evolve. Jon Jones and even last night with Carlos Condit are showing that. Various types of kicks are working their way into the mix now and in a few years you are going to see guys with some really advanced stand up game.

Then 10 years down the road it will be something else. It's not really about guys being bigger, faster, stronger. It's just about the evolution of the sport.
Right and it's about kids being trained in all aspects of MMA from such a young age compared to guys being trained in one discpline and trained to do enough of the others to get by. They are all going to be well rounded in the future.
[Reply]
Pants 02:12 PM 02-05-2012
Top UFC dudes coming in to Pride during its hayday all got their asses fucking stomped. UFC had always been the inferior fighter's organization, IMO. By the time Pride fell apart and the Pride dudes went to UFC, they were all past their prime.
[Reply]
In58men 02:13 PM 02-05-2012
Originally Posted by TheGuardian:
Meh.

I can agree to that.
[Reply]
BigCatDaddy 02:25 PM 02-05-2012
Originally Posted by Pants:
Top UFC dudes coming in to Pride during its hayday all got their asses ****ing stomped. UFC had always been the inferior fighter's organization, IMO. By the time Pride fell apart and the Pride dudes went to UFC, they were all past their prime.
What top UFC guys are you referring to? How old is past one's prime in MMA?
[Reply]
Shogun 02:28 PM 02-05-2012
Chuck Liddell for one.

And it just depends on the fighter really. Overeem has peaked later in his career and is just about to be on the downward end.
[Reply]
Pants 02:33 PM 02-05-2012
Randleman, Belfort, Lidell and Sylvia all come to mind.
[Reply]
Pants 02:35 PM 02-05-2012
Chuck Liddell for one.

And it just depends on the fighter really. Overeem has peaked later in his career and is just about to be on the downward end.
I miss skinny Overeem choking dudes out. :-) Not a big fan of Ubereem.
[Reply]
BigCatDaddy 02:36 PM 02-05-2012
Chuck Liddell for one.

That was one, but I was looking for all the other ones that got stomped.

I agree, but most of those guys weren't much older then 30 so I don't think age was the main factor in the decline of some of the Pride greats. It was either they didn't evolve as a fighter or they just weren't able to compete at a level of the current guys.
[Reply]
Shogun 02:36 PM 02-05-2012
Originally Posted by Pants:
Randleman, Belfort, Lidell and Sylvia all come to mind.

well this is partially incorrect.

Sylvia never fought in PRIDE.

Liddell went 1-1, but he beat a young unexperienced Overeem.

Belfort had a winning record in PRIDE and lost to legends.

And Randleman has just always been shitty.
[Reply]
Pants 02:39 PM 02-05-2012
well this is partially incorrect.

Sylvia never fought in PRIDE.

Liddell went 1-1, but he beat a young unexperienced Overeem.

Belfort had a winning record in PRIDE and lost to legends.

And Randleman has just always been shitty.
Sheeeet. You're right, just looked it up, I thought Fedor owned Sylvia in Pride for some reason, I guess it was just some other random event? My memory fails me.
[Reply]
Page 150 of 663
« First < 50100140146147148149150 151152153154160200250650 > Last »
Up