ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 15 of 21
« First < 51112131415 16171819 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Has our defense been HARSHLY judged?
UChieffyBugger 04:35 PM 09-21-2018
It seems to be in fashion to knock the Chiefs defense. WE as fans slaughter them daily, the local press slaughter then daily, the NATIONAL and INTERNATIONAL media slaughter them daily, and when I sit and think about the circumstances sounding that group, one could argue that they are getting judged a little harshly.

Now let's start with the preseason. Ragland and Hitchens played ONE warm-up together against the Bears and both missed several practice sessions. Nelson got knocked out of the Atlanta game and missed sessions himself, whilst Parker wasn't even In our building during the preseason. Then we have Ford who Is just returning to the team after being out for most of last season, and Houston barely played In the warm-up games himself.

Last year there was a perception that we had "the worst defense known to man", but I argued it was an overblown notion because the reality was that we were around fifteenth In the points allowed tally. But that notion has stuck with the team and now this unit that has barely played together Is thrown together and Is trying to both gel as a unit and get their football legs going all whilst facing TWO quality offenses on the road. The Pats defense started off badly too last year and then managed to be a decent unit until the superbowl where they contrived to drop their best corner, so there is a clear example of how things can change quickly In this game.
[Reply]
O.city 11:16 AM 09-24-2018
Originally Posted by htismaqe:
We did it against the Chargers. One of their 2nd half drives took 8 minutes. That's exactly what we wanted because even though they closed the gap, there wasn't actually enough time left for them to tie or get ahead.
Yep.

Just don't give up chunk plays. Don't turn it over, make teams drive the length and use the clock.

As mentioned here, we were a missed tackle or two from winning by 3 scores this week.

A late Conley fumble from winning by 3 last week.
[Reply]
loochy 11:17 AM 09-24-2018
Originally Posted by O.city:
Yeah, you trade scores for time in those situations, same as baseball in runs for outs.

But you've gotta make them take time. Make them go 5 or 6 minutes for a TD. That's no problem.
Or you could do what almost every other team in the league does and stop the other team.
Posted via Mobile Device
[Reply]
O.city 11:18 AM 09-24-2018
Originally Posted by loochy:
Or you could do what almost every other team in the league does and stop the other team.
Posted via Mobile Device
Sure, you'd prefer that. Obviously.
[Reply]
O.city 11:18 AM 09-24-2018
I don't see most every other team in the league winning by 4 scores every week though.
[Reply]
loochy 11:21 AM 09-24-2018
I don't see most every other team in the league winning by 4 scores every week though.
I don't want to be like most every other team in that regard
Posted via Mobile Device
[Reply]
htismaqe 11:22 AM 09-24-2018
Posted via Mobile Device
Every other team in the league plays the same 3 and 4-deep zones when they're up big in the 2nd half. Their guys know how to tackle, though.
[Reply]
loochy 11:29 AM 09-24-2018
So spend a day doing pee-wee esque tackling practice.
Posted via Mobile Device
[Reply]
htismaqe 11:31 AM 09-24-2018
So spend a day doing pee-wee esque tackling practice.
Posted via Mobile Device
These guys are professionals who have been playing football for 10 or even 20 years. A day of practicing tackling isn't going to change anything. If they haven't grasped the fundamentals by now, they simply aren't going to grasp them ever.

I'm simply shocked people don't understand this.
[Reply]
loochy 11:40 AM 09-24-2018
These guys are professionals who have been playing football for 10 or even 20 years. A day of practicing tackling isn't going to change anything. If they haven't grasped the fundamentals by now, they simply aren't going to grasp them ever.

I'm simply shocked people don't understand this.
I'm simply shocked that a pro football player can't tackle.
Posted via Mobile Device
[Reply]
htismaqe 11:42 AM 09-24-2018
I'm simply shocked that a pro football player can't tackle.
Posted via Mobile Device
Hey, I get that. But that's not really Sutton can fix. That's something Veach needs to do a better job identifying.
[Reply]
The Franchise 11:53 AM 09-24-2018
Eric Murray is half this defense's problem right now.
[Reply]
Mecca 11:56 AM 09-24-2018
Originally Posted by The Pest:
Eric Murray is half this defense's problem right now.
They should just cut him. Jordan Lucas couldn't be worse fuck anyone who understands the concept of a zone couldn't be any worse.
[Reply]
Shoes 12:12 PM 09-24-2018
Hard to judge the defense as we haven't had a series or possession where we absolutely NEEDED a stop to get back into the game, preserve the lead or put the game away. The defense all throughout the early parts of our season has had the luxury will playing with a huge lead.

I will give them props that they have gotten a few early stops in each game which has lead Mahomes and company the opportunity to get off to a hot start.
[Reply]
ThaVirus 02:41 PM 09-24-2018
We did it against the Chargers. One of their 2nd half drives took 8 minutes. That's exactly what we wanted because even though they closed the gap, there wasn't actually enough time left for them to tie or get ahead.
Worked yesterday too. One of their final drives, IIRC it was the one that they got the OPI, took them like 7 minutes.

It was partially their fault because they came out run heavy, but still..
[Reply]
chiefzilla1501 02:49 PM 09-24-2018
Yeah, you trade scores for time in those situations, same as baseball in runs for outs.

But you've gotta make them take time. Make them go 5 or 6 minutes for a TD. That's no problem.
Deep into the 4Q. Not in the 3rd sometimes even 2nd quarter. It's almost as if Reid has cue cards that say as soon as you're up by 10 or more, immediately cue ultra conservative mode.
[Reply]
Page 15 of 21
« First < 51112131415 16171819 > Last »
Up