ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 1361 of 3903
« First < 36186112611311135113571358135913601361 136213631364136513711411146118612361 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
petegz28 01:51 PM 04-13-2020
Originally Posted by dirk digler:
why new cases since we all know there is a huge backlog?
Why not new cases?
[Reply]
petegz28 01:52 PM 04-13-2020
so what are they magically dying from?
packing dust.......
[Reply]
Donger 01:56 PM 04-13-2020
Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins:
Given that we are unsure of the asymptomatic number and absolute infectiousness of the virus, the better indicators are hospitalizations and death rates. We obviously *want* the new cases to go down, but new case discovery is also a function of testing capacity, where as hospitalization is a function of the breadth of illness and death rates are a function of strain on the hospital system.

If you test 2,000 people and 1800 of them are positive that's lower new case growth than testing 25,000 people with 3,000 positive, but one is a much worse indicator than another.
I don't disagree with the hospitalization numbers and that there are clearly more cases out there we aren't aware of because they haven't been tested and/or are asymptomatic. And who has the hospitalization numbers?

Meh, maybe it's just me on the confirmed new case numbers.
[Reply]
dirk digler 01:56 PM 04-13-2020
Originally Posted by SAUTO:
And there’s a ton of people not getting tested...
Originally Posted by Donger:
Because it's a confirmed number. Any decline trend of that number is a good thing.
Originally Posted by petegz28:
Why not new cases?

Hamas answered it better than I could. Plus there is probably a high false negative rate with the test and we are so behind we are probably looking at numbers from a week to 10 days ago. So I guess that could be a little positive news.
[Reply]
'Hamas' Jenkins 02:00 PM 04-13-2020
I don't disagree with the hospitalization numbers and that there are clearly more cases out there we aren't aware of because they haven't been tested and/or are asymptomatic. And who has the hospitalization numbers?

Meh, maybe it's just me on the confirmed new case numbers.
I imagine only the states and local health departments actually have those numbers. I haven't seen them anywhere. Deaths are a substitute, but they obviously lag more than hospitalizations. Deaths going down are a sign that hospitalizations will decrease, though, unless there is an effective treatment plan unveiled.

Of course, case reporting for this entire thing has been a fucking nightmare, and it has not been helped by the obvious bullshit spewed from totalitarian states about their case and death numbers. It makes solving the problem that much more difficult.
[Reply]
petegz28 02:00 PM 04-13-2020
Hamas answered it better than I could. Plus there is probably a high false negative rate with the test and we are so behind we are probably looking at numbers from a week to 10 days ago. So I guess that could be a little positive news.
See this is what you call paralysis by analysis. People are reluctant to accept any numbers for whatever reason. These numbers are probably that. Those numbers are probably this. That number is really the other thing.
[Reply]
Donger 02:00 PM 04-13-2020
Unless I mis-read Hamas, he's not saying a decline in new case growth isn't a positive. He's saying that a decline in new hospitalizations is a better positive.
[Reply]
Donger 02:01 PM 04-13-2020
Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins:
I imagine only the states and local health departments actually have those numbers. I haven't seen them anywhere. Deaths are a substitute, but they obviously lag more than hospitalizations. Deaths going down are a sign that hospitalizations will decrease, though, unless there is an effective treatment plan unveiled.

Of course, case reporting for this entire thing has been a ****ing nightmare, and it has not been helped by the obvious bullshit spewed from totalitarian states about their case and death numbers. It makes solving the problem that much more difficult.
Given the importance, that's surprising.
[Reply]
'Hamas' Jenkins 02:10 PM 04-13-2020
Unless I mis-read Hamas, he's not saying a decline in new case growth isn't a positive. He's saying that a decline in new hospitalizations is a better positive.
That's fair. You'd obviously want to always have lower numbers if they are coming from consistent testing. I'm not trying to be Debbie Downer, but I do want to stress that there can be multiple reasons for lower numbers--some of them good, some of them not.

Russia can say they have no problem by classifying all of their COVID deaths as pneumonia (they did similar bullshit during the early years of HIV, too), but it doesn't mean the virus isn't there.
[Reply]
dirk digler 02:13 PM 04-13-2020
Originally Posted by petegz28:
See this is what you call paralysis by analysis. People are reluctant to accept any numbers for whatever reason. These numbers are probably that. Those numbers are probably this. That number is really the other thing.

meh..I only think the death numbers are important until we get testing squared away.
[Reply]
mr. tegu 02:33 PM 04-13-2020
If we assume deaths associated to it are occurring in people who tested positive for it then new cases is the first predictor of potential upcoming deaths which is why new cases are still very important.
[Reply]
dirk digler 02:40 PM 04-13-2020
IHME updated their model again and pushed MO peak date to April 28th.

Also for us losers living in MO they do have a pretty good pdf they update daily that shows cases\deaths\hospitalizations etc and looks like they added where they are at with supplies.

https://health.mo.gov/living/healthc...-dashboard.pdf
[Reply]
Donger 02:42 PM 04-13-2020

Also for us losers living in MO they do have a pretty good pdf they update daily that shows cases\deaths\hospitalizations etc and looks like they added where they are at with supplies.

And bumped the national deaths from 61,000 to 68,000
[Reply]
TLO 02:49 PM 04-13-2020

IMHE model update looks bad all around. They updated their uncertainty level for the country way up - and it went way up in Missouri too. Projected death toll for Missouri is also much higher this time around.
[Reply]
Mecca 02:50 PM 04-13-2020
Originally Posted by TLO:
IMHE model update looks bad all around. They updated their uncertainty level for the country way up - and it went way up in Missouri too. Projected death toll for Missouri is also much higher this time around.
Salad tossing going around.
[Reply]
Page 1361 of 3903
« First < 36186112611311135113571358135913601361 136213631364136513711411146118612361 > Last »
Up