ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 1357 of 3903
« First < 35785712571307134713531354135513561357 135813591360136113671407145718572357 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>***NON-POLITICAL COVID-19 Discussion Thread***
JakeF 10:28 PM 02-26-2020
A couple of reminders...

Originally Posted by Bwana:
Once again, don't come in this thread with some kind of political agenda, or you will be shown the door. If you want to go that route, there is a thread about this in DC.
Originally Posted by Dartgod:
People, there is a lot of good information in this thread, let's try to keep the petty bickering to a minimum.

We all have varying opinions about the impact of this, the numbers, etc. We will all never agree with each other. But we can all keep it civil.

Thanks!

Click here for the original OP:

Spoiler!

[Reply]
petegz28 10:50 AM 04-13-2020
Originally Posted by mlyonsd:
That seems down to me? Or is it still a reporting time thing?
It is down. Their initial reports haven't been under 700 for quite some time. Now that may or may not hold the day but lately they have only been reporting once a day.
[Reply]
Donger 10:51 AM 04-13-2020
Originally Posted by mlyonsd:
That seems down to me? Or is it still a reporting time thing?
It was 758 yesterday. I think that NY reports every day around this time.
[Reply]
dirk digler 10:51 AM 04-13-2020

[Reply]
TLO 10:52 AM 04-13-2020
Did Cuomo say something about an announcement at 2pm? I was watching part of the press conference but then actually had to do some work
[Reply]
Donger 10:55 AM 04-13-2020
Herd immunity and COVID-19:

It's also worth thinking about the repercussions of this disastrous scenario – the best estimates put COVID-19 infection fatality rate at around 0.5-1 percent. If 70 percent of an entire population gets sick, that means that between 0.35-0.7 percent of everyone in a country could die, which is a catastrophic outcome.
[Reply]
Titty Meat 10:55 AM 04-13-2020
Originally Posted by TLO:
Did Cuomo say something about an announcement at 2pm? I was watching part of the press conference but then actually had to do some work
It has plateaued in NY
[Reply]
TLO 10:59 AM 04-13-2020
Originally Posted by Titty Meat:
It has plateaued in NY
Yeah but he said he had a second announcement that would have to wait for 2pm.
[Reply]
PAChiefsGuy 11:07 AM 04-13-2020
Originally Posted by Titty Meat:
It has plateaued in NY
Good news.
[Reply]
mr. tegu 11:07 AM 04-13-2020
Originally Posted by dirk digler:
If we are going to open up our country anytime soon we have to have rapid testing so we can isolate\quarantine people away from everyone. We are a very long ways from being able to do that unfortunately.

If your goal is to be able catch enough people with the active infection of the virus to make a difference that allows opening up the country then I don’t think you have a realistic goal and the country would never reopen. There are too many things that change so quickly.

Let’s say you test 20% of California. That’s about 8 million people. The current rates are something like 15% positive so around 1.2 million positive cases, some false positives with others false negatives. Perhaps those even out but if you have a bunch of false negatives the testing was pointless for that group.

What can you possibly do that’s useful with that information? Sure you isolate the positives but you have 6.8 million people that can turn around and get the virus in a week. You also have a potential of 32 million other people who as far as you know are all at risk of getting the virus on top of the 6.8 million who tested negative.

So you roll out 8 million tests and really haven’t accomplished anything that would give you solid information to take action on besides continuing to sit and wait. The only thing you know for certain is that some percentage of your 1.2 million positives are infected. You don’t even know how many people they may have infected prior to being tested so they may have already spread it.

But if you tests 8 million people for antibodies you either remove or add them to the pool of potential infections. Anyone that has antibodies can actually start resuming a more normal existence. They do the shopping for the family, they work, etc. Then we get a much better idea of how widespread it is and how long it’s been happening and we can begin looking into more blood transfusion therapies on a larger scale.
[Reply]
mr. tegu 11:09 AM 04-13-2020
Originally Posted by O.city:
I’m all about antibody testing but it’s gotta be specific and accurate. You fuck up and give people false positives and that’s not ideal

Of course. But that’s no different of a problem than 20% of tests for the virus producing false negatives.
[Reply]
petegz28 11:14 AM 04-13-2020
Cases in NY thus far are down 3000+ from yesterday. That will probably change throughout the day but we can hope
[Reply]
dirk digler 11:19 AM 04-13-2020
Originally Posted by mr. tegu:
If your goal is to be able catch enough people with the active infection of the virus to make a difference that allows opening up the country then I don’t think you have a realistic goal and the country would never reopen. There are too many things that change so quickly.

Let’s say you test 20% of California. That’s about 8 million people. The current rates are something like 15% positive so around 1.2 million positive cases, some false positives with others false negatives. Perhaps those even out but if you have a bunch of false negatives the testing was pointless for that group.

What can you possibly do that’s useful with that information? Sure you isolate the positives but you have 6.8 million people that can turn around and get the virus in a week. You also have a potential of 32 million other people who as far as you know are all at risk of getting the virus on top of the 6.8 million who tested negative.

So you roll out 8 million tests and really haven’t accomplished anything that would give you solid information to take action on besides continuing to sit and wait. The only thing you know for certain is that some percentage of your 1.2 million positives are infected. You don’t even know how many people they may have infected prior to being tested so they may have already spread it.

But if you tests 8 million people for antibodies you either remove or add them to the pool of potential infections. Anyone that has antibodies can actually start resuming a more normal existence. They do the shopping for the family, they work, etc. Then we get a much better idea of how widespread it is and how long it’s been happening and we can begin looking into more blood transfusion therapies on a larger scale.
Once the virus dramatically slows down local governments can reopen but they have to be able to test and do contact tracing. The tests will have to be serology and rapid testing and if they get a positive that person will need to be quarantine and local health officials will have to do contact tracing. That is what SK and Germany are doing and this is how you can contain it.

Otherwise we will be back to lockdowns until a therapeutics\vaccine arrive.
[Reply]
TLO 11:26 AM 04-13-2020
Once the virus dramatically slows down local governments can reopen but they have to be able to test and do contact tracing. The tests will have to be serology and rapid testing and if they get a positive that person will need to be quarantine and local health officials will have to do contract tracing. That is what SK and Germany are doing and this is how you can contain it.

Otherwise we will be back to lockdowns until a therapeutics\vaccine arrive.
It's a shame we couldn't have done this in the first place. Maybe it wouldn't have been possible.

I'm afraid that all we're doing is cooling things off for a while and once we open things back up, we're going to be right back to where we are now, as you mention in your last sentence.
[Reply]
dirk digler 11:31 AM 04-13-2020
Originally Posted by TLO:
It's a shame we couldn't have done this in the first place. Maybe it wouldn't have been possible.

I'm afraid that all we're doing is cooling things off for a while and once we open things back up, we're going to be right back to where we are now, as you mention in your last sentence.

Yep. I would love to hear someone's plan on how to open up without doing test\trace and without killing hundreds of thousands of people.
[Reply]
Mecca 11:39 AM 04-13-2020
Yep. I would love to hear someone's plan on how to open up without doing test\trace and without killing hundreds of thousands of people.
This plan is called letting it all hang out.
[Reply]
Page 1357 of 3903
« First < 35785712571307134713531354135513561357 135813591360136113671407145718572357 > Last »
Up