ChiefsPlanet Mobile
Page 134 of 176
« First < 3484124130131132133134 135136137138144 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>*** Official 2018 Royals Offseason Repository ***
duncan_idaho 08:24 PM 11-17-2017
It's the end of the world as we know it... and we feel... fine?

2018 is a season of transition for the Royals, or at least it is at this point. Dayton Moore is back. Will he swing full into THE PROCESS 2.0? Or will he try to load up again and make some reload magic happen?

Pending Free Agents:
1B | Eric Hosmer | San Diego Padres, 8 years, $144 million ($5 million signing bonus; $20 million/year in Yrs 1-5; $13 million/year in Yrs 6-8 wth player opt out)
Spoiler!

3B | Mike Moustaskas | Kansas City Royas, 1, $6.5 million
Spoiler!

CF | Lorenzo Cain | Milwaukee Brewers, 5 years, $80 million
Spoiler!

RP | Mike Minor | Texas Rangers, 3, $28 million
Spoiler!

SP | Jason Vargas | New York Mets, 2, $16 million
Spoiler!

SS | Alcides Escobar | Kansas City Royals, 1, $2.5 million
Spoiler!

2018 MLB Draft Picks
#33 - Compensation (Eric Hosmer)
#34 - Compensation (Lorenzo Cain)
#40 (Competitive Balance Round A)

Comp picks explanation:
Spoiler!

2018 Draft Names to Watch

RHP Kumar Rocker, N Oconnee HS, Georgia.
Spoiler!

OF Jarred Kelenic, Waukasha West HS, WI
Spoiler!

1B Triston Casas, American Heritage HS (FL).
Spoiler!

RHP Carter Stewart, Eau de Gallie HS (Ga).
Spoiler!

ANY Any, Any (Any). Any current top projected pick who slides for injury concerns. Includes current top prospect prospect SP Brady Singer, U of Florida.
[Reply]
Fansy the Famous Bard 03:36 PM 03-07-2018
Originally Posted by siberian khatru:
:-)

Jesus, effing christ.
[Reply]
Mecca 03:39 PM 03-07-2018
As the Royals desperately try to win 80 games.
[Reply]
siberian khatru 03:59 PM 03-07-2018

Source says Ricky Nolasco deal not done. And it would definitely be a Minor League deal if it is completed.

— Jeffrey Flanagan (@FlannyMLB) March 7, 2018

Well, I guess if he's just AAA depth to cover Karns' health or Junis blowing up or something ... Although I'd prefer a younger arm get the first shot or two to replace them.
[Reply]
Chiefspants 04:06 PM 03-07-2018
TO THE SHIP
[Reply]
siberian khatru 05:20 PM 03-07-2018

nolasco gets $1.5M on minors deal with kc. plus 250 incentives. has an out 3/24. mlb spring invite.

— Jon Heyman (@JonHeyman) March 7, 2018

[Reply]
duncan_idaho 07:55 AM 03-08-2018
I'm fine with these little signings in a vacuum, but here's what bugs me:

They gave away Scott Alexander to facilitate dumping Soria's salary. They gave away Buchter to facilitate dumping Moss's salary.

Those are two useful assets burned... and the savings are used to sign Nolasco, Duda, Escobar, and Jon Jay, and make a team likely to win somewhere around 72 games more likely to win around 76?

Doesn't track.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[Reply]
Fansy the Famous Bard 08:12 AM 03-08-2018
Originally Posted by duncan_idaho:

They gave away Scott Alexander to facilitate dumping Soria's salary. They gave away Buchter to facilitate dumping Moss's salary.

Those are two useful assets burned... and the savings are used to sign Nolasco, Duda, Escobar, and Jon Jay, and make a team likely to win somewhere around 72 games more likely to win around 76?

Doesn't track.

DING DING DING

If you're trying to get rid of shit veterans with shit contracts and having to give away actual value to do so, don't sign more shit veterans with shit contracts. Let cheap AAAA guys do it and take your lumps while not spending the money. I would MUCH rather root for a AAAA guy than Alcides Escobar, in the hopes another Whit Merrifield surfaces. Moore is reverting to his old ways.
[Reply]
Dunit35 08:12 AM 03-08-2018
It’s the chiefs strategy. Win just enough games to keep people watching and revenue flowing.
[Reply]
BlackHelicopters 08:17 AM 03-08-2018
Nolasco. Let that sink in.
[Reply]
nychief 08:18 AM 03-08-2018

Doesn't track.

Agree with you. Couple of thoughts though: 1) DMGM has always been pretty arrogant about building/developing a bullpen, for better or worse. he talks about never falling in love with relievers etc... 2) I think the oaks/mejia and fillmyer, although not sexy, strengthen the system.

That being said, I'd rather have alexander.
[Reply]
Fansy the Famous Bard 08:18 AM 03-08-2018
Actually, the more I think about it the more I believe Moore has never actually changed his strategy... he just got lucky with a couple of guys at the right time like Madsen, Blanton, Butera, Young, Davis (struck gold), Infante, Morales (struck gold), etc.... He took some failing or injuried vets and with a perfect storm at the right time it came together.

He's always had a love affair with signing or trading for shitty veterans.
[Reply]
Nightfyre 08:28 AM 03-08-2018
I think his hope is that a couple of these veterans have a hot first half and then move them at the trade deadline. Trying to turn cheap contracts into prospects. He traded Alexander and Soria to free up payroll so he could take a stab at signing Hos, I'm.
[Reply]
suzzer99 08:29 AM 03-08-2018
Can you guys promise to change the thread title if we sign Moose or some other dramabomb? I'm fatigued of reading about the latest JAG on a 1-year contract.

kthx
[Reply]
duncan_idaho 11:47 AM 03-08-2018
Originally Posted by Nightfyre:
I think his hope is that a couple of these veterans have a hot first half and then move them at the trade deadline. Trying to turn cheap contracts into prospects. He traded Alexander and Soria to free up payroll so he could take a stab at signing Hos, I'm.

But that strategy doesn't really work anymore. You can get some filler/lotto tickets for rentals at the deadline, but you're not getting real, valuable pieces for Duda or Jay.

Trading Soria and Moss to free up salary is fine if you actually GET Hosmer. Not it just looks short-sighted and silly.

It's just an inconsistent approach, and I think that's what bugs me.
[Reply]
Chiefspants 11:53 AM 03-08-2018
But that strategy doesn't really work anymore. You can get some filler/lotto tickets for rentals at the deadline, but you're not getting real, valuable pieces for Duda or Jay.

Trading Soria and Moss to free up salary is fine if you actually GET Hosmer. Not it just looks short-sighted and silly.

It's just an inconsistent approach, and I think that's what bugs me.
Yeah, that's where I am. Moore's strategy has just seemed unfocused from the start and hinging entirely on a player who was vocal for the last two years about wanting to go to the highest bidder.

If I'm Moore and I want to compete, I'm targeting Moose from the get-go, who's lower priced and can be moved to 1B in the future if need to be.

But, honestly, I think the best move would have been to sell, and to sell high.

Moore's insistence on Hos has kept us from having any sort of coherent strategy this offseason. The only thing that could remotely justify it is if we end up with Moose - but seeing as Boras is openly voicing that Moose is willing to sit out through opening day, I've all but given up on that happening.

With the Duda and Jay signings I don't think there's room for him anymore anyway.
[Reply]
Page 134 of 176
« First < 3484124130131132133134 135136137138144 > Last »
Up