ChiefsPlanet Mobile
View Poll Results: What Lever You Flippin??
Yes 16 14.16%
No 16 14.16%
I don't live in Jackson County, but would vote Yes 59 52.21%
I don't live in Jackson County, but would vote No 22 19.47%
Voters: 113. You may not vote on this poll
Page 134 of 141
« First < 3484124130131132133134 135136137138 > Last »
Nzoner's Game Room>Stadium Watch 2024 -Jackson County Residents: How Are You Voting?
Pablo 08:28 AM 03-28-2024
Vote in this poll if you actually live in Jackson county.

We've all shared our opinions in the other thread. But who gives a shit what somebody in Platte County or Johnson County or Phoenix or NYC thinks. We're all just noise.
[Reply]
GloryDayz 10:56 AM 06-19-2024
Originally Posted by tk13:
A pretty decent convo for the first 20 minutes of Petro's Chiefs podcast about the stadiums. Brought in Sam McDowell who's been very connected on all this from the beginning.

https://www.youtube.com/live/Wv-_eKX...rZ5ar_DFxb9aY2

McDowell had a lot of good thoughts. He was clear that neither team did a great job here, but at the same time sounded like he's not sure Missouri has the support to make this happen regardless. Definitely not at the state level, and then you have to consider the current stadiums are owned by the county and their executive (Frank White) has not been supportive of this and he's not sure there's the momentum at the county level to override him. Said the Chiefs might not want to do that dance again. Made it sound like the teams are still interested in Missouri but will the state or local governments work with them at all.
Interesting listen, and the key to it all is that it could be argued that the Chiefs might have tied themselves to what was a Royals deal simply to get the "no" vote (knowing what was being offered had waaaay too little information) so they could have the excuse to move to Kansas. And I'd also note that they all agree that one of Missouri's largest challenges is the legislature being a bunch of fools. The gambling thing isn't small either. So I think it could be argued that the Chiefs knew all this, they tied themselves to a rather sure "no" vote, so now they're free.

And I'm OK with that, I'm not one of the Missouri folks who won't drive over to Kansas for watch a game because the Chiefs moved. The Chiefs are moving because Missouri is indeed a State that is willing to lose their sports teams and cry about useless truces that were signed many years ago. That's on the Governor of MO for not having the will to play hardball with a neighboring state in order to keep a team they claim they'd like to keep.
[Reply]
vonBobo 11:04 AM 06-19-2024
Originally Posted by mr. tegu:
The reactions from the “no” vote people who seemed super confident this would just lead to a better proposal to stay will be interesting should they both leave.
I'm surprised about all the criticism towards the no voters. It's obvious the whole plan was shit from all sides, and then we have people crying "but what if they leave, you should have just given the billionaires whatever they wanted so I can root for my home town".
[Reply]
GloryDayz 11:09 AM 06-19-2024
Originally Posted by vonBobo:
I'm surprised about all the criticism towards the no voters. It's obvious the whole plan was shit from all sides, and then we have people crying "but what if they leave, you should have just given the billionaires whatever they wanted so I can root for my home town".
(one of your better posts)

Right?!?!?!? "Sign a blank check or we'll move" was about what we were hearing. Again, most of us are fine with driving to KS for the occasional game knowing we'll be in T-shirts no matter what the weather is outside.

As for the Royals, unless something dramatic happens, they'll fall back to their steady state of sucking and being the KCK Royals will be funny to hear about.
[Reply]
vonBobo 11:10 AM 06-19-2024
A pretty decent convo for the first 20 minutes of Petro's Chiefs podcast about the stadiums. Brought in Sam McDowell who's been very connected on all this from the beginning.

McDowell had a lot of good thoughts. He was clear that neither team did a great job here, but at the same time sounded like he's not sure Missouri has the support to make this happen regardless. Definitely not at the state level, and then you have to consider the current stadiums are owned by the county and their executive (Frank White) has not been supportive of this and he's not sure there's the momentum at the county level to override him. Said the Chiefs might not want to do that dance again. Made it sound like the teams are still interested in Missouri but will the state or local governments work with them at all.
White has said all along the proposal has not been transparent and there were too many questions unanswered and he didn't want it to go to vote because of this. The teams also want Frank white to take the criticism of inactivity rather than the teams take responsibility for lack of transparency. (They even used Mrs Glass for their PR lol)

If the teams had a reasonable plan with real answers then I have no doubt White would have been on board.
[Reply]
kstater 11:46 AM 06-19-2024

Sent from my SM-S916U1 using Tapatalk
[Reply]
tk13 11:56 AM 06-19-2024
White has said all along the proposal has not been transparent and there were too many questions unanswered and he didn't want it to go to vote because of this. The teams also want Frank white to take the criticism of inactivity rather than the teams take responsibility for lack of transparency. (They even used Mrs Glass for their PR lol)

If the teams had a reasonable plan with real answers then I have no doubt White would have been on board.
His biggest issue is he's not a powerless idiot on a message board like the rest of us. He's the most powerful elected official in the county. He has influence here even though he doesn't act like it. Where he's going to to run into an issue is if Kansas politicians take a different approach and say "Clark we want to work with you to address your weaknesses and come up with a plan that works for everyone" instead of "Bring me a plan I like and then I'll support it." He's definitely left the door wide open here.
[Reply]
Kiimo 12:01 PM 06-19-2024

Listened to all of this. I think I'm more convinced now than ever that the Chiefs are moving. They literally say what I said yesterday...Missouri should focus on the Royals.
[Reply]
Kiimo 12:19 PM 06-19-2024

mmm you can not want billionaires to get handouts and vote accordingly. I agree with the idea.

But you run the risk of being San Diego. You really showed them! Now to bask in my rightness while the Chargers play in SoFi
[Reply]
mr. tegu 12:27 PM 06-19-2024

The majority of conversation I saw was that no voters still wanted the teams, but not these specific proposals. They seemed to convince themselves this wasn’t realistically a vote to keep the teams, but I believe that is the end result. Hunt especially, wants a new stadium. And I can’t blame him for wanting a new one as opposed to constant renovations to a stadium of which he probably doesn’t like the location. And getting a new stadium ready for the first season they need it doesn’t allow for a lot of playing games on where the stadium will be.
[Reply]
Kiimo 12:32 PM 06-19-2024
Leave Arrowhead standing and show the game from the Kansas stadium on the big screen. Fans who refuse to go across state line can hang out in there and watch the game with dozens of other fans who refuse to hang out with wine and cheese fans.

Take numbers for George Brett Statue fights
[Reply]
Hoover 01:07 PM 06-19-2024
Frankly, I don't know if the Chiefs could have played this any better.

You can say their plan to stay at Arrowhead was half assed, and I was certainly underwhelmed with their updates, but isn't staying in Arrowhead basically what people wanted? The second they say hey were are going to blow this fucker up and build a dome there would have been a ton of debate.

And the underlining problem with either the Chiefs and Royals staying at the Truman Sports complex, is that the County is the property owner and an owner is only going to invest so much on property that he doesn't own. Now Clark isn't going to own the new stadium either, but building something new allows the team to get all the amenities they want and need without having to sink in a healthy chunk of your net worth to get it built.

Extending that 3/8 cent sales tax, a tax that people have been already paying for decades, was a fucking no brainer if you wanted to lock the Royals and Chiefs into Missouri for decades to come.

Frankly I don't even see a way for Missouri to compete with what Kanas has on the table.

I think at the end of the day the Chiefs stadium team will look similar to what's being done in Nashville where sales tax revenue of the stadium and the surrounding neighborhood all go into servicing the bonds. That's way more aggressive than the puny 3/8 cent that they county is no longer paying. This is just the modern way to how these projects are funded.

https://www.tennesseetitans.com/new-stadium/plan
[Reply]
GloryDayz 01:20 PM 06-19-2024
His biggest issue is he's not a powerless idiot on a message board like the rest of us. He's the most powerful elected official in the county. He has influence here even though he doesn't act like it. Where he's going to to run into an issue is if Kansas politicians take a different approach and say "Clark we want to work with you to address your weaknesses and come up with a plan that works for everyone" instead of "Bring me a plan I like and then I'll support it." He's definitely left the door wide open here.
Not to defend Frank, I think he's an asshole, but he did try to work with both teams, they just were dead set against offering anything close to concrete plans and were pretty-much asking for blind faith. You were here, you saw the last minute shit the teams pulled, it was crap, and it could be argued that it was done to either get a blank check from JACO or take-up the State of Kansas on their willingness to approach these business deals as a state instead of a county. JACO and Frank were doomed from the start because of how MI's legislature is so hands off. It's why the Kansas dude is right, MO's approach to Pro teams is why our teams are easy pickings for neighboring states.
[Reply]
GloryDayz 01:24 PM 06-19-2024
Originally Posted by Hoover:
Frankly, I don't know if the Chiefs could have played this any better.

You can say their plan to stay at Arrowhead was half assed, and I was certainly underwhelmed with their updates, but isn't staying in Arrowhead basically what people wanted? The second they say hey were are going to blow this fucker up and build a dome there would have been a ton of debate.

And the underlining problem with either the Chiefs and Royals staying at the Truman Sports complex, is that the County is the property owner and an owner is only going to invest so much on property that he doesn't own. Now Clark isn't going to own the new stadium either, but building something new allows the team to get all the amenities they want and need without having to sink in a healthy chunk of your net worth to get it built.

Extending that 3/8 cent sales tax, a tax that people have been already paying for decades, was a fucking no brainer if you wanted to lock the Royals and Chiefs into Missouri for decades to come.

Frankly I don't even see a way for Missouri to compete with what Kanas has on the table.

I think at the end of the day the Chiefs stadium team will look similar to what's being done in Nashville where sales tax revenue of the stadium and the surrounding neighborhood all go into servicing the bonds. That's way more aggressive than the puny 3/8 cent that they county is no longer paying. This is just the modern way to how these projects are funded.

https://www.tennesseetitans.com/new-stadium/plan
Many were screaming that, but I think the majority of people are ready for a modern day dome.

But yes, the Chiefs played this very well, they were either going to get a blank check from JACO or get the $2B+ stadium in KS. It's all good, it'll be a fun trip to make occasionally.
[Reply]
Hoover 01:26 PM 06-19-2024
Originally Posted by GloryDayz:
Not to defend Frank, I think he's an asshole, but he did try to work with both teams, they just were dead set against offering anything close to concrete plans and were pretty-much asking for blind faith. You were here, you saw the last minute shit the teams pulled, it was crap, and it could be argued that it was done to either get a blank check from JACO or take-up the State of Kansas on their willingness to approach these business deals as a state instead of a county. JACO and Frank were doomed from the start because of how MI's legislature is so hands off. It's why the Kansas dude is right, MO's approach to Pro teams is why our teams are easy pickings for neighboring states.
Teams are not going to spend millions of dollars on detailed stadium plans until they know whether not the revenue is there. Royals wanted to build a cowtown stadium. There was a conception plan on how it would look. What else do you need? This vote was about whether the Royals should build downtown or not. The last minute shit from the Chiefs was like "oh wait, what are you guys doing with the money." It was never about them, but it sure determined a course for the future.
[Reply]
cmh6476 01:27 PM 06-19-2024
Originally Posted by GloryDayz:
I don't think anybody is genuinely confused, and it takes a real JACO loyalist to think the teams have to stay in JACO to remain their fan. Add to it that MO never offers to help JACO like I've heard they did help St. Louis (I have nothing to prove that tho), it's hardly a surprise that when it's an entire state vs one county in another state the county will either lose or go broke out-bidding an entire state.

Perhaps the MO Governor should be asked what his thoughts are on the topic of MO losing its red-hot NFL team, and potentially its MLB team. It's not like MO couldn't crush KS if Jeff City wanted to, but we know Jeff City pretty-much limits their love to the St. Louis area. I've lived in MO for ~25 years, was told this when we first moved here, and it's pretty-much proven to be true.
Mike Parson is a longtime STM. Though he's only got 5 more months before he isn't Governor anymore.
[Reply]
Page 134 of 141
« First < 3484124130131132133134 135136137138 > Last »
Up